• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Pain in shoulder?

Aura Todd

I hope this is the right forum.

Last week I had a pain in my right shoulder which first appeared briefly about 2 years ago. I saw my dr who said it was frozen shoulder, from time to time it it would twinge, then nothing much.

Last week the pain got bad so I made an emergency appointment with the Dr who gave me some Ibrofen gel, I had been using Voltero which is 5%, this gel is apparently 10%. I have curvature of the spin and the pain in my arm was very painful, it's hurts now as I type this.

Had an x-ray and got the results a week later. Turns out according to the receptionist that I had boarderline wear and tear on my shoulder underneath the collar bone. She was very vague and wouldn't tell me what it meant. I've got Aspbergers so I get very confused, so I still haven't a clue really what she means Could someone please explain?
huh.gif

I have been told yesterday there are many supplement pills I cant take because the Ibrofen gel is only masking the pain. These are:

Turmeric
Curcumin
Devils Claw
Solgar 7

Has anyone tried these, and are they good? Also is my condition treatable?

Many thanks, sorry to ask?

I have wear and tear at the bottom of my spine due to the heavy work i used to do, bones get worn over time...! I have to exercise ever day otherwise il have trouble bending up and down and get stuck in a crouched position..! Painkillers help but being active is better for me...!:)

ibuprofren gel is pretty good,but some people find volterol better as it has diclofenac in it which is good if your muscles are spasming around the hurt part.
your best off trying to get it prescribed as its like £12 or something for a tube isnt it?

i use ibuprofen gel,one called fenbid prescribed by gp,and i have to cover my whole back and neck and shoulder after special olympics training for a few days afterwards,i have knackered discs in my spine from an injury and lots of nerve damage.

Last week I had a pain in my right shoulder which first appeared briefly about 2 years ago. I saw my dr who said it was frozen shoulder, from time to time it it would twinge, then nothing much.

Last week the pain got bad so I made an emergency appointment with the Dr who gave me some Ibrofen gel, I had been using Voltero which is 5%, this gel is apparently 10%. I have curvature of the spin and the pain in my arm was very painful, it's hurts now as I type this.

Had an x-ray and got the results a week later. Turns out according to the receptionist that I had boarderline wear and tear on my shoulder underneath the collar bone. She was very vague and wouldn't tell me what it meant. I've got Aspbergers so I get very confused, so I still haven't a clue really what she means Could someone please explain?
huh.gif

I have been told yesterday there are many supplement pills I cant take because the Ibrofen gel is only masking the pain. These are:

Turmeric
Curcumin
Devils Claw
Solgar 7

do you have a self referral service for physiotherapy in your area
physiotherapy could help turmeric is good so is circumin
the others IVE never used
another one is arnica Montana gel its more expensive than cream but i liked it when it worked 99% of analgesics(painkillers) DONT win over panic disorder with me

Oh

huh.gif

Turmeric
Curcumin
Devils Claw
Solgar 7

do you have a self referral service for physiotherapy in your area
physiotherapy could help turmeric is good so is circumin
the others IVE never used
another one is arnica Montana gel its more expensive than cream but i liked it when it worked 99% of analgesics(painkillers) DONT win over panic disorder with me

huh.gif

Turmeric
Curcumin
Devils Claw
Solgar 7

Oh how shortsighted healthcare disgusts me if you'd had expensive private healthcare this would have been dealt with but shortsighted greed again
eat high protein foods as you are trying to repair muscle
you're also sensitised to pain again part of pain perception is anxiety panic thats why pain killers DONT work as well thats why you receive anaesthesia for surgery as panic makes pain much worse not saying you're a HYPOCHONDRIAC
its just how the body tries to prevent death so take time to rest people in the west more than the east are more stressed

huh.gif

Turmeric
Curcumin
Devils Claw
Solgar 7

Probably means the muscles HAVENT completely torn away bone so i like shaving the muscles not slicing them
it's more like shaving or sanding muscle not slicing it
you also have scarring which cuts off a small amount off circulation so a little more pain

ibuprofren gel is pretty good,but some people find volterol better as it has diclofenac in it which is good if your muscles are spasming around the hurt part.
your best off trying to get it prescribed as its like £12 or something for a tube isnt it?

I can second Voltarol (Diclofenac). I was on it in tablet form for a long time when I slipped a disc years ago. It helped with that to a degree and also with sciatica from the slipped disc. Unfortunately, GP's don't like to prescribe it in tablets any more because of it's links to stomach ulcers. They prefer to give Napoxen tablets. Both work to some degree for pain but are actually anti-inflammatories, and Naproxen is not a patch on Diclofenac. I have no idea what the gel is like though. Personally, if it's a pain relief medication you're looking for, I'd suggest Tramadol. I realise that it is an opioid , and it can have some unpleasant side effects for some people, but I've never found anything (barring morphine) that helped like Tramadol did.

I’m using Fenbid which I got from the Dr, but I found it wasn’t really getting rid of the dull aching I get every morning when I wake up.

1. do you have a self referral service for physiotherapy in your area
Not yet, I’m still waiting for the Dr to get back to me. If I tried Turmeric, does that have side effects?

Firstly Google Turmeric, then go down to web m.d run by boots as my memory ISNT great now-Yes in high doses causes nausea and diarrhoea
also caution if you have gallbladder probs or gallstones
Are taking painkillers
if you don't have these!!! good for fibromyalgia,depression
Talk to your if you have kidney ,immunity,bleeding disorders

Firstly Google Turmeric, then go down to web m.d run by boots as my memory ISNT great now-Yes in high doses causes nausea and diarrhoea
also caution if you have gallbladder probs or gallstones
Are taking painkillers
if you don't have these!!! good for fibromyalgia,depression
Talk to your if you have kidney ,immunity,bleeding disorders
Insert gp after talk to your

I’m using Fenbid which I got from the Dr, but I found it wasn’t really getting rid of the dull aching I get every morning when I wake up.

1. do you have a self referral service for physiotherapy in your area
Not yet, I’m still waiting for the Dr to get back to me. If I tried Turmeric, does that have side effects?
you can get volterol prescribed aura, ask your GP next time your there and explain diclofenac works better,my mother gets it prescribed for a bad back.

Never knew until today circumin is extract of Turmeric

huh.gif

Turmeric
Curcumin
Devils Claw
Solgar 7

The big problem with orthodox painkillers or synthesized painkillers is if taken by mouth can cause constipation if used longterm
I can second Voltarol (Diclofenac). I was on it in tablet form for a long time when I slipped a disc years ago. It helped with that to a degree and also with sciatica from the slipped disc. Unfortunately, GP's don't like to prescribe it in tablets any more because of it's links to stomach ulcers. They prefer to give Napoxen tablets. Both work to some degree for pain but are actually anti-inflammatories, and Naproxen is not a patch on Diclofenac. I have no idea what the gel is like though. Personally, if it's a pain relief medication you're looking for, I'd suggest Tramadol. I realise that it is an opioid , and it can have some unpleasant side effects for some people, but I've never found anything (barring morphine) that helped like Tramadol did.

Sorry to hear about the shoulder issue.. I had a frozen shoulder for around a year & tbh it was a living
hell at times. All of a sudden I couldn't do things that were normally done without issue like lie down on my bed.
I tried a few different painkillers & decided from experience that Ibuprofen was the only one. Which is in line with the knowledge that a Codeine type just aggravates the nerves to fire off more pain signals. Thankfully the shoulder is fine now & my lower back, which had slipped discs is much better.

On the issue of Voltarol, the other day I was visiting an old couple I'm friends with, both 70+yrs. Now my friends partner has been on some narrley painkillers for her nervous system which is under attack from a form of cancer.. . They have been told not to use Voltarol any more as she's hit a limit with how much of the stuff the body can take. Only heard this yesterday & i was surprised but not at the same time about there being a limit.

i was surprised but not at the same time about there being a limit.

This worries me about Voltero, because it's advertised about being able to use it all the time :(

Just a follow up to this thread (instead of starting a new one). I'm really fed up now because I went to see my Dr about the pain in my shoulder this morning and I mentioned about taking Cod liver oil capsels she said it was a waste of money and wouldn't make a difference. This is really deflating as the pain sometimes goes up the right hand side of my neck and It drives me nuts.

She advised using paracetomol and heat pads, and to only use the Fenbid when the pain was at it's worst because it has Ibrofen in. Other then that I feel I have no choice but to put up with the pain.

You can only take paracetomol every four hours, or you can overdose. I think I will go ahead and get some cod liver oil capsel's dispite what the Dr says, I haven't been offered any physio threpy (excuse my dreadful spelling)

Can anyone advise me please?

sleep rest
This worries me about Voltero, because it's advertised about being able to use it all the time :(

Just a follow up to this thread (instead of starting a new one). I'm really fed up now because I went to see my Dr about the pain in my shoulder this morning and I mentioned about taking Cod liver oil capsels she said it was a waste of money and wouldn't make a difference. This is really deflating as the pain sometimes goes up the right hand side of my neck and It drives me nuts.

She advised using paracetomol and heat pads, and to only use the Fenbid when the pain was at it's worst because it has Ibrofen in. Other then that I feel I have no choice but to put up with the pain.

You can only take paracetomol every four hours, or you can overdose. I think I will go ahead and get some cod liver oil capsel's dispite what the Dr says, I haven't been offered any physio threpy (excuse my dreadful spelling)

Can anyone advise me please?

It's tricky to be honest... take care of posture & avoid placing strain on the shoulder. One thing to avoid is putting a handbag or ruck sack on the painful shoulder. It takes a while to heal & it can be depressing but it should go if you take it easy & avoid straining the area.

New Threads

Top Bottom