• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Older Aspies and Younger Aspies

Probably not as precise as that but mine works the same way.

I got into computer programming when the first pc came out and it changed my life. Suddenly I was able to catalogue my mental imagery and call it up or cross reference it at will.

And I thought everyone did it that way :confused:

Just purchased Temples book on Kindle

very often when describing something,I must pause if the pic folders get huge as my brain tries to keep up...my brain has to process so much information it has to pause and my natural vision goes gray as my brained vision gets busy looking and sorting...this is when I turn away from who I am speaking to and concentrate on my internal visions

The fun part is when I sleep and my subconcious continues thinking and sorting...when faced with a challenge,often it only requires a bit of sleep for my brain to find the proper answer...I have had so many problems in engineering or repairs presented to me upon waking in very detailed pictures with the proper fix

I live in a hyper-analytic state that is very detailed as simple tasks are complicated by entirely too much info,possibly how it was made and what it was made of and why...reach for a doorknob...a flash of images detailing exactly what is going on inside it and why the parts move the way they do...

very often when describing something,I must pause if the pic folders get huge as my brain tries to keep up...my brain has to process so much information it has to pause and my natural vision goes gray as my brained vision gets busy looking and sorting...this is when I turn away from who I am speaking to and concentrate on my internal visions

The fun part is when I sleep and my subconcious continues thinking and sorting...when faced with a challenge,often it only requires a bit of sleep for my brain to find the proper answer...I have had so many problems in engineering or repairs presented to me upon waking in very detailed pictures with the proper fix

I live in a hyper-analytic state that is very detailed as simple tasks are complicated by entirely too much info,possibly how it was made and what it was made of and why...reach for a doorknob...a flash of images detailing exactly what is going on inside it and why the parts move the way they do...

That sounds intense, not sure I could handle that level of awareness.

I was a natural engineer with only self-schooling who used engineers to draw my pictures...I hope they all learned something from me :p

That sounds intense, not sure I could handle that level of awareness.
REM sleep in under one minute,verified by independent studies...when the waking brain is interfering with the sleeping brain,it gets shut down instantly...the outcome of me is certain psychosis...I have always been a little crazy...why not full on? :D

I thought I fell asleep fast, but that is awesome.

Got to go and indulge my day. Have a good one

I'm young, at 23, but i never figured out that i probably have aspergers until a year or so ago. I say 'probably' because my family and me have come to the general consensus ourselves through much research, without seeking a real diagnosis. Its expensive and as an adult and a girl, who can hold down a job with a much effort, i dont see the point in getting one. Figuring it out, though, has helped me a lot. I always wondered why i always seemed to not fit in. Why i can't read people i don't know very well. Why a lot of noise at once - like the grocery store - was overwhelming at first. Why everyone always tells me i have my volume (of everything) on low yet to me its fine, any higher would be loud. Why a lot of jokes or humor or such just flies over my head most of the time - or, perhaps worse, i understand someone is just joking around but i freeze anyways cause i have no idea how i'm supposed to respond.

Finding out, however informally it was, has helped me to understand myself better so i can adjust as needed. I work as a cashier at a really busy grocery store, and working there was really overwhelming at first. If a customer didn't tell me they didn't want their milk bagged, for instance, i would make to bag it before processing that they were reaching out to put it in their cart unbagged. It would end up being an embarrassing give and take exchange until finally i give up, thoroughly embarrassed. The noise also bothered me - something i recall bothering me even in elementary. Unless i'm focusing on something, it like i have no noise filter. I hear everything in my workplace equally with equal attention paid to it - the sound of cart wheels squeaking, hand-scanners beeping, babies crying five registers away, etc. I would get constantly overwhelmed to the point of anxiety attacks until i learned to just focus completely and totally on the customer in front of me. My supervisors also found out the hard way that they can't give me instructions ("Go to register five when you're done with your line.") while i'm checking out a customer. I might respond to them with some sort of affirmative reply, but its in one ear and out the other because at that point i'm noticing everything and absorbing nothing. They learned fairly quickly to just turn off my register's light - making sure i see it - and then i know to just find them when i'm done with my line for my new register assignment.

Sportster, I found it really relieving to read that you have some of the same challenges i do. Growing up i was always told that i just wasn't listening, or that i just needed to get out more, or that i just needed to make friends, or some other variant of 'if you would just....' so i always thought of it as being purely my fault. That's why i love coming on here and reading about everyone else's experiences, because then i can look back and be like 'it wasn't all my fault after all' and work on it from there. I like what you said about hearing - i always find myself repeating the instructions i've been given just to make sure i heard them right for the same reason you stated: i hear everything all at once with no filter. My mom used to find this annoying to no end (until i think she eventually just accepted it), but my supervisors have learned its pretty much essential.

After realizing i probably have AS, i was able to adjust my behavior at work to accommodate myself better. For instance, rather than stand in front of my lane "red-lining" when i have no customers (at which point i will focus on something random so intently i won't even notice someone walking towards me with their cart), i just busy myself cleaning my register and picking up displays that kids messed up. That way i look busy in a manner that works better for me. Before i realized that a lot of my behaviors and challenges had a possible explanation with AS, i thought it was all my fault and that i just needed to try harder then i'd get it. Realizing this has helped me to approach challenges with a better perspective and acknowledge my own strengths and weaknesses, so i can work on issues more effectively.

In most cases, an "official diagnosis" is for one's own edification. There are enough resources out there to pretty much determine if one is an Aspie or not without spending über bucks or draining one's insurance carrier. I have fairly good coverage, so it wasn't a problem for me. For me, it clarified many things, plus it showed how the NVLD and PTSD factored in.

Still, I find it amazing how there are so many of us that share the same challenges and characteristics despite the age differences. For instance, what you said, "I hear everything in my workplace equally with equal attention paid to it - the sound of cart wheels squeaking, hand-scanners beeping, babies crying five registers away, etc." is exactly what I experience. People often think I have hearing problems because I ask them to repeat themselves, but it's because I hear too much. The Army physicians were amazed at how acute my hearing is.

I also found it refreshing to read that I'm not the only one that has difficulty with humor, or alleged humor. If you read my posts, you can see that I tend to be funny, but I've always had difficulty in understanding "jokes," especially when directed at me. Your comment, "i understand someone is just joking around but i freeze anyways cause i have no idea how i'm supposed to respond," is an apt description of me. One of my coworkers jokes around a lot with me, so I've had to learn how to respond since I was never sure if he was joking or being a bully. It has taken several years to figure it out.

Wow! Thanks for sharing that, Sportster. Maybe I don't have hearing loss - maybe I'm hearing everything and just cannot filter out what I don't want to hear. I never thought it would be possible to hear too much. I'm always asking people to repeat themselves. Well, either way, I think I have to get my hearing tested again just to be sure.

I was diagnosed at about age 4.
I got help, or at least, attempted help.
I found that kids would pick on the small stuff I did, like pacing up and down the basketball court, getting upset over seemingly little things, and so on...
And there were problems going on at home when I was younger, which were awful for me to have to go through.

When I moved to a special class a few years back, I made a bunch of really good friends.
I found those friends were really similar to me. I thought, "how come they're so different to many others I've met but so similar to me?".

At around the same time, the teacher had given me a book about asperger's written by a guy who has asperger's.
Once I got to reading that book, I thought:

"OH!! :D NOW I get it! :D"

And as a result of finding out about asperger's, people helping me were able to help me even more, now that I had a better idea of the things they're trying to help me with. :p

I was 54 when diagnosed with Asperger's. Before that it was several other things. Depression and anxiety have landed me in the psych ward on two occasions. Much of my adult life I was self (un)employed, which meant I was living well below the poverty line. And I am extremely high-functioning. Maybe we don't hear from others because they are simply not as 'hooked-in' with social media and what-not.
My two cents.

I have just turned 60 and have self-diagnosed (along with some preliminary confirmation from a clinical psychologist) during the past two weeks. I plan to have further testing but the outcome could only be two things: AS or WH (weird human) with identical AS traits.

Learning this at at advanced age has an upside and a downside. The upside is that it explains a huge amount of questions and confusion about my entire life. It also helps me realize that my intuitive knowledge of how I work and live most effectively is confirmed by neurology. As I am older I really no longer have the energy to work very hard to try and adapt to most corporate structures, social requirements, environmental overload, or manipulative and fraudulent business people.

The downside is that I realize how much easier it would have been had I known 40 years ago what I know now. I would have pursued a very different educational path and been much more careful about associating with dangerous and destructive people. I would have also been more diligent about pursuing work environments and jobs that were suited to my strengths. Intuitively I did this to the best of my ability anyway. I knew that I was very different in my behavior and thinking from "normal" people. As a result I ended up in some very interesting jobs. But I was very poor at negotiating salaries and for promotions until I learned how to do that. Looking back I would have focused more on jobs that were better suited but still had the capacity to grow and earn more money.

One big advantage of being older is that I have the benefit of knowing that I can and have succeeded at many things. When I was in my 20s I was convinced that I would not survive until I was 40. I also thought I would never be able to make a reasonable living or be financially independent. I would encourage anyone who is young and struggling with job issues and is intimidated by the world of employment to get some professional help, study books and also remember that the world of work is not rational and most people in jobs are not very competent. You don't have to let managers and coworkers intimidate you. And also, there are an infinite number of jobs and careers suitable for people with AS, most of them variations of normal jobs and careers but with different environments and work conditions. I thrived in high-tech companies where people had very unusual knowledge, so they eccentricities were tolerated. One guy was anti-social and would get in huge arguments that almost lead to fist-fights. But he invented a technique that changed medical and biological research and he eventually won the nobel prize. It was sort of like "A Beautiful Mind". It has been said several places that a world without AS would be a world without new inventions.

In the past couple of years I have found a few books very helpful:
1. Antifragile by Nassim Nicolas Taleb - I never understood business and economics until I finally read this book and his others
2. The Obstacle is the Way by Ryan Holiday - the merit of engaging with life's struggles
3. Shop Class as Soulcraft by Matthew Crawford - also about the skewed and distorted values of modern work and the value of special interest in hands-on crafts
4. Wabi Sabi, The Japanese Art of Impermanence by Andrew Juniper
5. Essentialism by Greg McKeown

I found over the years that although I do not trust or understand many people, I can trust books and ideas. With practice I found out how to read, observe and then do. And I continued iteratively, correcting how I did things until many things were intuitive. AS people can absolutely learn how to engage socially and even excel socially. But the trick for me is to limit my engagement and play by my rules, not the rules of others.

I have just turned 60 and have self-diagnosed (along with some preliminary confirmation from a clinical psychologist) during the past two weeks. I plan to have further testing but the outcome could only be two things: AS or WH (weird human) with identical AS traits.

Learning this at at advanced age has an upside and a downside. The upside is that it explains a huge amount of questions and confusion about my entire life. It also helps me realize that my intuitive knowledge of how I work and live most effectively is confirmed by neurology. As I am older I really no longer have the energy to work very hard to try and adapt to most corporate structures, social requirements, environmental overload, or manipulative and fraudulent business people.

The downside is that I realize how much easier it would have been had I known 40 years ago what I know now. I would have pursued a very different educational path and been much more careful about associating with dangerous and destructive people. I would have also been more diligent about pursuing work environments and jobs that were suited to my strengths. Intuitively I did this to the best of my ability anyway. I knew that I was very different in my behavior and thinking from "normal" people. As a result I ended up in some very interesting jobs. But I was very poor at negotiating salaries and for promotions until I learned how to do that. Looking back I would have focused more on jobs that were better suited but still had the capacity to grow and earn more money.

One big advantage of being older is that I have the benefit of knowing that I can and have succeeded at many things. When I was in my 20s I was convinced that I would not survive until I was 40. I also thought I would never be able to make a reasonable living or be financially independent. I would encourage anyone who is young and struggling with job issues and is intimidated by the world of employment to get some professional help, study books and also remember that the world of work is not rational and most people in jobs are not very competent. You don't have to let managers and coworkers intimidate you. And also, there are an infinite number of jobs and careers suitable for people with AS, most of them variations of normal jobs and careers but with different environments and work conditions. I thrived in high-tech companies where people had very unusual knowledge, so they eccentricities were tolerated. One guy was anti-social and would get in huge arguments that almost lead to fist-fights. But he invented a technique that changed medical and biological research and he eventually won the nobel prize. It was sort of like "A Beautiful Mind". It has been said several places that a world without AS would be a world without new inventions.

In the past couple of years I have found a few books very helpful:
1. Antifragile by Nassim Nicolas Taleb - I never understood business and economics until I finally read this book and his others
2. The Obstacle is the Way by Ryan Holiday - the merit of engaging with life's struggles
3. Shop Class as Soulcraft by Matthew Crawford - also about the skewed and distorted values of modern work and the value of special interest in hands-on crafts
4. Wabi Sabi, The Japanese Art of Impermanence by Andrew Juniper
5. Essentialism by Greg McKeown

I found over the years that although I do not trust or understand many people, I can trust books and ideas. With practice I found out how to read, observe and then do. And I continued iteratively, correcting how I did things until many things were intuitive. AS people can absolutely learn how to engage socially and even excel socially. But the trick for me is to limit my engagement and play by my rules, not the rules of others.

Thanks for the book tips and your positive message about employment, interesting about your nobel prize winning coulleauge... Good to know its not just me thats had physical fights in the workplace :)

If you are an older aspie, just pat yourself on the back for making it this far, remember that a label like 'aspie' probably wouldn't have done much to negate any challenges you faced and survived on your own and be glad that at least now you have some closure. But hey, that's just my opinion.

That's true, Mike, but getting a diagnosis was like having a great weight lifted off my shoulders. I'd always felt that it was my fault that i couldn't deal with things like socializing and it was liberating to find that there were so many others who were like me. It would, I believe, have made me much happier if I had had a diagnosis when I was young - but then when I was young autisim had not been 'discovered'!

On the other hand I feel that I achieved more by not knowing - that if I had been diagnosed young I might have taken the attitude that more couldn't be expected of me because I was on the spectrum. I just don't know.

Hopefully some research is presently taking place on this but I doubt it.

I'm glad to have been diagnosed at 33, I felt as though I learned the secret to Life, or my own at least. I own a home and a few cars, work full time and go to school twice a week, while raising three daughters 12,12,8.
I also have some difficult ASD issues I learned to cope with before diagnosis. Other issues persist. It is perhaps more helpful to know than not to. Knowing allows one to adjust accordingly. Improvise adapt and overcome.

Wow, that's how I think, in pictures.

Learnt something new, now I have to read up on this. Many thanks
I definitely think in pictures (and to some extent, secondarily, I think in whole sentences but with the sentences pictured). I did not realize this was unique - and distinct from strong visual memory - until I read one of Temple Grandin's books.

I am 32 and was diagnosed at 28. I agree with MovieMike in that it did´t make a change in the way I act or things like that, but I do think it´s good to know and it makes a diference in the way you look at yourself, or at list that´s my opinion. When I was younger I had troubles accepting my self, and I was always looking for someone as a rollmodel. That lead to me doing stupid things that weren´t me at all, but I really wanted to be more adventurer and "free". Then, when I got my diagnose, I started understanding things and my point of view changed; I like who I am, and I see some very great things about being asperger. It´s not that things magically changed, it´s a process (sometimes a long one), but I think in a way it is usefull to have a name for it, because it can help you to put things in order, and also it´s easier for some people to understand.

Still, I find it amazing how there are so many of us that share the same challenges and characteristics despite the age differences. For instance, what you said, "I hear everything in my workplace equally with equal attention paid to it - the sound of cart wheels squeaking, hand-scanners beeping, babies crying five registers away, etc." is exactly what I experience. People often think I have hearing problems because I ask them to repeat themselves, but it's because I hear too much. The Army physicians were amazed at how acute my hearing is.
This is why I always have my car stereo cranked up to 11, it drowns out all the distractions, I only have to focus on 2 things, my driving and the music instead of the 100 other things going on around me. Of course when someone else is driving I want it perfectly quiet so I can focus on everything around me so I can let the driver know what to do next... I'm a great backseat driver! :)

I'm 40, and just came to the conclusion of this diagnosis last week...literally. I have a degree in psychology, for goodness' sake, but I always just saw the trait lists for boys, and those didn't really fit me enough to say, "That's me." I've always known I was different, but couldn't figure out why. I just thought I was screwed up, and if I could just think the right thoughts like everyone else does, then somehow I could fix myself.

This year, I've been dealing with some of my CSA history stuff, flashbacks and memories and fears and depression/bipolar and junk. I think that we've finally dug through enough of those layers to find my underlying genetic predispositions. I just always thought my oddities were from being abused for so long as a kid.

Honestly, the past few days have been like walking on air, more so than not. I feel so relieved, to know that I haven't failed myself somehow in all of this. I'm not a mean person just because I don't like to go shopping and giggling with my sisters. I'm not a wench just because I don't whine and cry with my mom or my sister when they come complaining to me about their dramas. When someone touches me and I flinch, it's not ALWAYS my past coming back to haunt me. It's still uncomfortable, but not nearly as traumatic as thinking that every flinch is an impending flashback of some kind.

So many things about myself make so much more sense now. And it's not like I want to use this as an excuse to never grow or change anymore. But I realize I've been trying to make a cross-country trip, so to speak, with a next-town, day-trip mentality. Does that make sense? Now I can see more clearly what the real challenges are, deal with myself more compassionately, recognize that I express love differently than most people do, and recognize somewhat why I have such a hard time letting love in from others.

I definitely think in pictures (and to some extent, secondarily, I think in whole sentences but with the sentences pictured). I did not realize this was unique - and distinct from strong visual memory - until I read one of Temple Grandin's books.

I always knew I learned well visually, but also thought I was strong with auditory and kinesthetic learning, too. I think I am strong in those, but mostly because I convert everything to visual format so I can remember it. When I hear words, I see them scrolling in front of me like I'm reading a news ticker, and it's the visual version of that information that I remember. When I move, I see my movements, and that's more what I remember. When I hear music, I see the way it flows and changes and moves, and that's what I'm actually experiencing.

I also have grapheme==>color synesthesia. Letters and numbers have specific colors in my mind. They've always had these colors, as long as I can remember, and they've never changed. So whatever data gets converted to the written word gets doubly integrated in my mind, both as the words themselves and also as the color combinations of those words.

http://www.synesthete.org

New Threads

Top Bottom