• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Obsessions

Mywaysigning - I was obsessed with learning sign language whilst at secondary school, with very few resources and ended up mixing BSL and ASL. At the time I had no reason to use it other than enjoyment. About twenty years later I decided to create a mute Live Roleplay character and revived my obsession, for a few weeks anyway.

Helge - I'm not diagnosed yet either. I can usually focus on the same thing for a while but do go through phases. I have trouble in the longer term. In the short term, brainfog and memory issues (from FND, CFS and JHS) are not helping my concentration....though I can still manage to obsess on my health puzzle!

When a teen, I deciphered the dwarven runes around the edge of The Hobbit and learned elvish enough so that by the time I was writing love letters to my now-husband, they were in Elvish! Poor man, he had to decipher quite a few!
I don't mix up ASL and BSL because of my friend, Esther. She had Deaf parents and so she knows ASL very well. That and I took an ASL class. I love signing classes. They really do help. I would definitely recommend them for new signers. I have been signing most of my life because of my friends and family members. So signing isn't that hard for me. Keep working at it. Maybe one day you will recognize the difference between BSL and ASL.

I'm in the UK so I need to learn BSL. I know the two-handed alphabet. It gets more complex because I did babysigning with my daughter when she was very litle and that is based on a simplified BSL. Then there is a signing programme for toddlers but that is based on Makaton, so my signing 'vocabulary' is a hotch-potch!

I'm in the UK so I need to learn BSL. I know the two-handed alphabet. It gets more complex because I did babysigning with my daughter when she was very litle and that is based on a simplified BSL. Then there is a signing programme for toddlers but that is based on Makaton, so my signing 'vocabulary' is a hotch-potch!
I know a little bit of BSL. But I can't sign in BSL like I can in ASL. They are very different. Try both. ASL uses one hand only for the alphabet. Maybe you could find a BSL class in your area at a college or higher level institution. That is what I recommend.

My longest has been obsession is My Little Pony. Currently, it's Welcome to Night Vale, Homestuck, "obscure" music, psychology, character creation & Aboriginal Australian culture.

I don't have time or the money to do everything I'm interested in! I've been trying to learn Japanese but that is also on the back burner. Being a mum and trying to run a business keeps me busy but my current special interest is my own health - because I'm such a medical 'zebra'!

I am obsessed with American Sign Language (ASL) and learning about other cultures. I love learning about how other people live. I guess I might be a little different. I also love to research cars and dogs. Dog training is a passion for me. Cars, well, I love learning how to fix them when they break down.
I went through an ASL phase. I found the culture and language fascinating and studied it for a year in college. Unfortunately I didn't keep up with it and recently realized I can only offer simple greetings and explain I know a little ASL using my hands these days.

My interests can basically be summed up as "fictional characters" and "cats".

On fictional characters:

I have been interested in various fictional characters ever since I was a toddler. The characters I'm interested in are highly subject to change, but my interest in the topic of fictional characters in general does not. (I hope that makes sense?)

One thing I'm really into is shipping (pairing off two characters romantically). I especially like to create my own pairings that I haven't seen anyone else ship before. I'm especially into crossover pairings for this reason. Sometimes I like to create lists of my favorite crossover pairings, organized by type (het, slash and femslash) and series.

On cats:

Cats have always been a major part of my life. My earliest memory involves being driven to the animal shelter to pick out my first cat. Ever since then, I have never been without a cat. And as a result of wanting to be a good cat owner, I have studied cats and their behavior extensively. I also enjoy learning cat facts such as "who was the longest-living cat", "who was the smallest cat", etc.

I've tried really hard to get into other subjects that are more "useful" or "intelligent", like computer code or astronomy, but I find these other subjects to be incredibly boring and they never hold my interest for more than a few minutes. I've even tried "personifying" concepts and objects into characters - which, believe it or not, is actually a popular trend among otaku. You'd think this would work for me, but it really doesn't, haha. I'm just glad I'm not in school anymore; I probably wouldn't ever be able to focus!

My interests can basically be summed up as "fictional characters" and "cats".

On fictional characters:

I have been interested in various fictional characters ever since I was a toddler. The characters I'm interested in are highly subject to change, but my interest in the topic of fictional characters in general does not. (I hope that makes sense?)

One thing I'm really into is shipping (pairing off two characters romantically). I especially like to create my own pairings that I haven't seen anyone else ship before. I'm especially into crossover pairings for this reason. Sometimes I like to create lists of my favorite crossover pairings, organized by type (het, slash and femslash) and series.

On cats:

Cats have always been a major part of my life. My earliest memory involves being driven to the animal shelter to pick out my first cat. Ever since then, I have never been without a cat. And as a result of wanting to be a good cat owner, I have studied cats and their behavior extensively. I also enjoy learning cat facts such as "who was the longest-living cat", "who was the smallest cat", etc.

I've tried really hard to get into other subjects that are more "useful" or "intelligent", like computer code or astronomy, but I find these other subjects to be incredibly boring and they never hold my interest for more than a few minutes. I've even tried "personifying" concepts and objects into characters - which, believe it or not, is actually a popular trend among otaku. You'd think this would work for me, but it really doesn't, haha. I'm just glad I'm not in school anymore; I probably wouldn't ever be able to focus!
Hey! I like shipping too! Cats were also my favourite animal when I was little (along with chickens)

Obsessions - learning about my various health issues (FND, CFS, JHS, GAD & the self diagnosed ASD. Diagnosis scrabble, anyone?)
I have to put my washed up cutlery and plates in certain places on the draining board otherwise it niggles. Some of my house is 'organised chaos' but some has to be a certain way for me to feel comfortable.
Interests - my brother pointed out that I go through phases, being intensely interested in certain things then abandoning them for something else. Tai Chi - though lack of funds stopped me going. Learning Japanese - I wish I had more self-discipline to learn the whole language! Steampunk (fun, hope this is a long-term interest).
I seem to only be able to do things if I'm 'in the mood' for it. Does this sound Aspergian to you?

I am like that with my draining board!

Music. Always listening to it and always buying it. Last year or two been back to buying vinyl records. That really is my thing at present. Other interests are football and holiday planning.

I have several that I seem to cycle through on a regular basis. I leave one only to come back to it at a point in the near future. They include: computer topics related to Linux, penetration testing, computer forensics, and general information security; my various health issues (Fibromyalgia, OCD, self-diagnosed AS, and possible ADD) as well as random other health-related topics, such as MS, various forms of muscular dystrophy, SCI and other conditions (both acquired and congenital) which may necessitate the use of a wheelchair, various wheelchair brands and types which has turned into learning everything that I can about the wheelchair company TiLite; and also various facts and techniques related to snowboarding which I hope to use to make a successful trip this winter (my previous two attempts have proved quite unsuccessful).

They include: computer topics related to Linux, penetration testing

I like seeing how different interests can make small things such as this immediately seem different.

I was wondering quite a bit how you went from computer stuff to ballistic penetration (how much of material X can projectile Y penetrate) before I realized you meant something completely different.

I'll save an explanation to the third possible meaning, both for PG reasons and so I don't sound childish xD

I like seeing how different interests can make small things such as this immediately seem different.

I was wondering quite a bit how you went from computer stuff to ballistic penetration (how much of material X can projectile Y penetrate) before I realized you meant something completely different.

I'll save an explanation to the third possible meaning, both for PG reasons and so I don't sound childish xD
It didn't even cross my mind about other types of pen testing. But yeah! I totally mean penetration testing in the sense of getting into a box (whether that be router, switch, computer, printer, etc.) and learning the effects that this can have overall on a network and how my ability to get in can show possible system vulnerabilities. This is actually a pretty new interest of mine, so I still have a lot to learn!

At the moment (and for the last 4 weeks) I have been obsessed by sex, sex drive, hormones, bioloigcal implications of medications and the impact upon sex drive, psychological factors and links to Asperger's and ASDs. It can be a little inconvenient :hearteyes:

At the moment (and for the last 4 weeks) I have been obsessed by sex, sex drive, hormones, bioloigcal implications of medications and the impact upon sex drive, psychological factors and links to Asperger's and ASDs. It can be a little inconvenient :hearteyes:

Your partner is lucky! :D

What did you mean by psychological factors? Was it how does ASpergers/ASD interact with sex drive?

Completely forgot I ever posted in this thread. Well, doubtless you'll be thrilled to hear I beat Clubstep 100% and with all 3 coins <_<. Next goal: Theory of Everything 2.

The trouble is I am obsessed about the precise meaning of the word "obsession". Unless something is dominating the vast majority of my waking thoughts, I tend to think of it as an interest or hobby rather than obsession. There was a time in my life when I was genuinely obsessed with the internet or, more accurately, posting on a certain site on the internet. I still use the internet a lot, but mostly out of habit/boredom. Most forums have died a slow death with the advent of social media, and I couldn't care less about Facebook and its ilk.

I've occasionally been obsessed with a particular book, videogame or person. That was more when I was younger though: it's hard to find anything or anyone which has such a strong impact on me these days.

Your partner is lucky! :D

What did you mean by psychological factors? Was it how does ASpergers/ASD interact with sex drive?

yes. also, implications of trying to follow social norms, emotional barriers, understandings of what is acceptable and what is not and to whom. the impact of types of sexuality within the frame of ASD and personal development of sexuality, confidence and ability to express needs and desires.

Do you have obsessions? What are they?
Yes, I seem to have an obsession with the crows, whom I seek out and provide food for on a daily basis. I really enjoy seeing them, and hearing their various calls(their language) such as it is. I have heard, but not confirmed,
that crows may have some 250 different calls. What would the crows need to qualify for having a language?

New Threads

Top Bottom