• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Obsessed with People (of the opposite sex)?

I have also suffered from obsessions with members of the opposite sex. I can be utterly apathetic toward the majority of people in my life, moderately interested in but a few. And for some reason, I have this tendency to direct an inordinate amount of emotional and mental energy toward one person--in my case, a particular man. I read once that people on the spectrum have a difficult time modulating their emotions. Instead of a dial (like NTs), they have more of an on-off switch. I think this must account, to some extent, for an obsession with certain people.

I have a number of obsessions, but the thing that concerns me most is how easily I can get obsessed with people of the opposite sex.

I am married and have 3 kids, so it's not like I'm on the prowl or some kind of womaniser. However, I could be around a woman for a couple of hours and at the end of it feel like I've got some kind of massive crush on her. It's worse if she's nice and has a nice smile.

I know that probably sounds really pathetic - and rationally I know it's ridiculous - but it's fairly common. And it worries me.

Is that normal? Is it an Aspergers thing?

We tend to obsess over things, you combine that with us being very sensory oriented, and that many of us don't get alot of positive attention, and then it becomes easy to fixate on someone. Growing up I would have a crush on a boy because he picked up my pencil for me. I remember when i was in the tenth grade, there was a guy who sat at the end of the classroom and I remember thinking that his eyes seemed to be set back farther in his head, I stared at him all the time had trouble concentrating on anything else sometimes. Also when I was in a mental health facility, there was a girl who was a little strange, but also really confident and nice. I fixated on her, and when I got out of the hospital I couldn't stop talking about her. Not like I wanted to date her, but the only way I could think to explain it was to call it a crush.

I have been obsessed with certain women at times. Some of them haven't known I was alive, but based on their looks or a brief conversation I decided they were the right ones for me. And of course they would realize I was the right one for them if they only got to know me. Usually it wasn't a problem, but there have been a couple of times when I was so obsessed with someone that I had trouble staying focused on my work. Now I am happily married and haven't had any obsessions lately.

I found a special term for the type of thing we are describing: limerence
Limerence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
What is Limerence? Do you have a Big Crush or is it Limerence?
Love in Four Acts: What is Romantic Love?
False Forms of Love: Limerence and Its Alluring Lies | What is Love, Dr. Cookerly?

The term is only about 35 years old, and is said to differ technically from "infatuation". (it is also distinguished from true "being in love")

While this is described for any person, it seems that Aspies will be particularly prone to it.

I found a special term for the type of thing we are describing: limerence
Limerence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
What is Limerence? Do you have a Big Crush or is it Limerence?
Love in Four Acts: What is Romantic Love?
False Forms of Love: Limerence and Its Alluring Lies | What is Love, Dr. Cookerly?

The term is only about 35 years old, and is said to differ technically from "infatuation". (it is also distinguished from true "being in love")

While this is described for any person, it seems that Aspies will be particularly prone to it.

I'm about to read this... but have got a big feeling this is gonna be me ALL OVER! Thank you in advance :D

Bastard! The filters have blocked me looking at that even on Wikipedia! Having to look on my phone... It's gotta be good to get blocked from Wiki hahaha

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the big points in the definition of the term is that you want response or reciprocation more than anything else from the person.

Here's something I wrote sorting out my feelings, since all anyone says is that you should just "get over" these things:

A friend, though you don't fully know them
What you do know is that you've always been an oddball, and they are an oddall; even if in a different way, yet just as misunderstood, judged and frustrated by people
And you ?clicked?, at least on a surface discussion level, on various intelligent subjects, and they seemed to really appreciate it, where very few others do.
All they wanted was to be heard rather than objectified, and similar to you, have trouble finding the right way to go about getting the right kind of attention.
This is few and far between

It seems like one person, whom you don't really know, and you are not socially or contractually bound to ?should not matter so much? to you. That's what everyone says.
But in a life of being such an oddball, and forever feeling bound and failing the expectations of those you do know; such a free friendship (not mechanically set and approved by others' expectations) is really needed.

When things get messed up; (ruined by things such as insecurity, attachment and suspicion), we're supposed to just ?move on? to the rest of this life.
But it had been a surprising acceptance that now becomes yet another rejection. They had been so open and inviting, now they are closed and distant.
In a life of ?NO?, from people (that usually ends up final), this person was willing to say ?yes?, but now it becomes another (seemingly final) ?no?, and not even for a romantic or sexual relationship, but just casual friendship.

Perhaps Heaven, where no one is broken as we are now, is where it would be able to work out. But that just seems like a copout; it just figures that everything will be ?right? then. There's nothing so special or out of the ordinary about that then. Everyone will love everyone and see nothing but the best in each other. Hypothetically.
It's in this journey through such an imperfect world of brokenness, where nothing is fully understood, and we really don't know what exactly we will be after this life; this is where that kind of connection is most needed.

i love sensitivity in a man.
I am an amazon of a women and i have great power and strength AND im aspie so how come you havnt got those too?
I love a man who has the audacity to be himself.
My ideal man would be one who would have the desire to get into my head and work me out. Never found one yet. Just a trail of broken hearts.

i can press the 'stop the sex button' anytime, with anyone but once its detonated......
evidently i flirt outrageously....but i dont think i do. Evidently I hold eye contact too long and guys consider that a come on. If they've also pressed my 'everything is hilarious' button then I'm doomed. Some of them do it to see if they can. But I struggle to turn it off and start talking like the frog in the 'Wide mouth Frog' joke ......'dont see many of those to the pound, do you'. I even say that sometimes and then it gets worse. I was OK when everyone knew I was married but now I'm not I find little problems arising all over town. Challenging.

Last edited by a moderator:
ME TOO. I have obsessions with people of the same sex,as I am a lesbian. But point is-I fall so fast,and so hard. The minute I start to like someone,I feel like I'm in love. And from there,I obsess,and plan them into my future families,and everything.

That is also something I do a lot. Gladly I usually can see that there aren't any possibilities of real connection or real mutual interests or such needed for possible future of us, and hardly ever make a move. It might be really odd for people to realize my crushes (I've never felt the need to discuss about them, but some often do see this from me), because the usual wise around these things seems to be "if you're interested, go for it". Well, trusting advise like that I'd got to be going all the time. But for what, really.

It might also be because of my experiences that distant kinship seems to work lot better that anything, that starts with me introducing my nitpicking personality to bore anyone. And I'm really careful with whom I ever will start trying a relationship, so not everyone of my limerences would ever make it. So it's basically the same whether I'm in a relationship or not, I'm not going to risk my well working life because of these. I'm not sure if I've lamented this earlier on some thread in here, but: It is actually odd that as we live times of exclusive monogamous relationships, people, while being single, see attraction as something so desirable they just wait to fall in, yet during a relationship those feelings should suddenly totally be put off and deny possibility of their existence. I don't think human mind can work like that.
As suggested in links Eric B listed, I don't feel to be seeking for attention, but gratification for my mind. I realized some time ago that in times of intense school routines etc. I should decline from any kind (preferably for all, because gender usually doesn't make a difference in these) of connections from anyone not to screw my whole productivity under this obsessing and ruin I.e. my exams because of that. It have happened, for nothing.

I typically don't get obsessed over people, only things. But I have been "obsessed" upon, and it sucks! At first, years ago, I loved the male attention I started getting and I encouraged it. But it began feeling like I was an object to possess, to protect, and to control. i didn't feel like a whole person. And when I didn't behave like expected, then I was either discarded or beaten. I don't want to be "cherished". I want to valued like an equal partner. Obsessions are about wanting power over a person and they scare the **** out of me. If a man pays too much attention to me now, I cut him from my life completely - friend or colleague. I don't ****ing care. I now demand mutual respect from everyone I know and obsession is never respectful.

I know you are posting here as a safe place. And I don't judge you for your obsessions and I can't offer advice on getting over it. What I will say though is to hide it well from her and don't expect her to act well if you reveal it. Most women bug the crap out of me and I have always had men as friends. Unfortunately, most men can't be "just friends". I have some married men now as friends, and it is fine as long as their wives are around when we hang out (which isn't much). I also am much more aware of the way I act around them (before I was more open and myself), but NT men see every crossing and uncrossing of my legs, every hair touch, and every laugh as flirtation. I'm coming to realize that it is all just too much effort for little true companionship in return.

I need a gay male friend or a girlfriend who isn't annoying and needy. Sorry for the rant. I am overwhelmed today.

Just to point out the good news, that I have managed to be able to get my friendship back. But now, I'm cooling it with the obsessiveness (even she said I tend to "control the discussions" as another person I was having deep online conversations had said).
In the months since last summer, I've been studying up on the Jungian concepts I've learned about through the related Type theory, to try to figure out why exactly I was acting/reacting like that, on top of a whole bunch of other stuff I've been going through.
I know a big part of it is "midlife crisis", and for me, it's made worse by the lifelong AS problems, which prevented me from having a normal social and especially dating life. (Hence, losing a friendship like that was very hard).

Here, I discuss what I've been pondering, and some of the books I've been reading: ?Solar? vs ?Lunar? in Gender Dynamics, Integrity and Individuation

Key points:

John Beebe, Integrity in Depth (Texas A & M University Press, 1992) mentioned the virginity mythos in relation to ?integrity?, and another concept I noticed was ?sola? and ?luna", meaning of course, ?sun? and ?moon?, and which had often been linked to masculinity and femininity.
But actually, both genders have both solar and lunar aspects. "By solar, [Jung] means active and aggressive and by lunar, receptive and responsive."

All of this helps put a name on something that?s always been hard to describe, and also explain stuff I?ve been going through. I was attracted more to "lunar" females, because of my mother (which is what shapes what Jung called the "anima", which then becomes the model of the ideal female partner), but now, more "solar" women become interesting.
My wife and I could never fully understand or explain the admitted appeal of a stronger, less ?safe? woman (such as a ?street girl?) to me and many other men. But it?s connected with what Jungian author Robert Johnson calls ?the unlived life", and is made worse by my entering midlife, and moving away from the ?safety? of the lunar ?mother? aspects of the anima; so the more ?dangerous? solar aspects become more of a curiosity.

Someone like Suze Orman is totally "solar", and I had noticed could never carry the ?virginal integrity? archetype I thought someone like her could qualify for, from being a ?gold-star lesbian?, meaning never been with a man. She?s just too ?rough?, ?cold? and ?aggressive?. It goes well with the whole ?unconquered? sense that?s apart of the "madonna" projections, but for me, there must be some evident lunar characteristics present, to carry this. (To have someone ?carry? something, in Jungian terms, is basically about projection; especially the anima).
There is a whole ?ironic? appeal of both ?technical virginity? (in the hetero community) as well as ?gold-star lesbianism?, which leads to much debate in online culture. (The friend is also very solar, but has some lunar aspects as well, including a similar sexual orientation).

Beebe pointed out (p.53) that the whole appeal of a state like is that ?libido is free to flow, yet stays contained". He discusses the Roman myth of Tuccia the Vestal Virgin, who proved her questioned virginity with a sieve that was able to contain water; ?defying all the laws of nature?. The water was believed to represent ?libido?, and a container representing the continence or virtue of a woman, suffering no puncture or crack).
This really explains everything. By not being with or going all the way with a man, they have in fact ?contained? something, even though they are clearly and fully sexual; allowing some amount of libido to flow.

?Libido? is basically ?life-giving energy". It is usually associated with sex drive, but that is really just one part of it. (Its opposite is ?mortido?, which is a ?death instinct?). Things that are new become tarnished with normal usage, which accompanies the flow of what we call ?life? (even for inanimate objects). For them not to become tarnished or worn would run counter to nature.

Yet that is an ideal state, representing ?Eden". All of this is emblazoned on our ?collective unconscious", which are archetypal images shared by all of us. (When archetypes become personalized, they are ?complexes?, which we project onto others).

So Beebe says (p.76) that men are often ?projecting their own need for anima integrity onto them as a wholesale demand for literal virginity and chastity; women were forced into embodying wholeness and continuity in their concrete physical lives, living out the anima ideal in ways that were stultifying for their individuation?.

This is what I'm trying to figure out, as to what I should do now, in trying to find out how to stop projecting ?gold? onto women. ("Gold" is what Johnson calls the good stuff we see in others, but not in ourselves). They?re really not supposed to carry it; not even the one you?re married to, ultimately (it will create expectations they cannot live up to, and thus disappointments). Anima integrity seemed to be embodied in a ?strong? and ?untouched? woman; covering both solar and lunar aspects.

I?ve always felt that my solar masculinity never had the chance to fully develop, through life circumstances, especially with a condition such as AS, with all the problems it causes with people. Yet since life seemed, by the process of elimination, to be forcing me into a lunar role, which I saw as ?weak? and ?feminine?, I?ve resisted that as well. (So what does that leave me with? Just trying to gain some sense of solar power in the way most possible; from behind a computer screen, like in arguing Christian doctrine and politics online for years; but it just leads to burnout).
So my "anima integrity" has taken a terrible beating throughout my life.

So I need to find my own ?gold? to own, but I just don?t know quite how to do it at this point. My wife suggests my writing (like this), but it seems to have only limited interest (as it?s long and over a lot of people?s heads, right?)

Anyone understand any of this? I can tell, that if one's Aspie drive doesn't lead one to study up on Jung, his concepts are particularly hard to digest! But it has been helping me understand/explain some of my obsessions.

New Threads

Top Bottom