• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Obsessed with golf

TSS

I am totally obsessed with everything about golf. I look at online golf stores, read books, maggizens TV, movies, go to the driving range, put in my condo, want the latest and greatest equipment. I have to tell myself that at 8pm I shut off the golf and do something different. I seem to not be able to get my mind off of golf. I want to be a good golfer but I can't get good enough or confident enough to play with others.
Also, I love everything Pooh Bear and company. This is a little wiered for an middle aged adult. This interest started as a little kid.

Golf is a fascinating game, with much to be obsessed about, as you have stated. What makes you think that you can't get good enough to play with others? My mom picked up golf in her late 40's, played in a league and never really progressed beyond an experienced beginner yet continued to play and enjoy the game for another 20 years. I played a lot with her when I was in my early teens (might say I was a bit obsessed myself).

Maybe getting out and playing with others might calm the feelings of being obsessed, if it really bothers you. Being Aspie, I know it's hard to be sociable, and some golfers have the reputation of being impatient with slow play, but I would think you could find a beginners league or just take a few golf lessons. Is there a small public course nearby where you could maybe be more comfortable playing?

Edit: Oh, nothing to be ashamed about with the Pooh bear stuff.:)

I have taken quit a few lessons and the pros I have taken lessons with tell me I am doing well. I just have a lot of trouble playing with other people. As you said, some golfers get irritated with slow play. I am trying to put myself out there a little bit more but I find it hard. I am going to go out and play some at a small local course by myself to see if that will up my confidence in my abilities. Thanks for the advice about joining a league. I have found out about one, but I haven't taken the step to find out more about the group.

Hello,

I seen you in the shoutbox and looked at your profile to see you liked golf

when I was younger I had an obsession for golf carts, the green EZ-GO brand from the 1980's (3 wheel battery powered) as my grandfather had one.

also, do you watch movies about it, such as the Legend of Baggar Vance?? or others (comedy movies)

me, I still like to look at golf carts, but I never played anything other then mini golf.

I am totally obsessed with everything about golf. I look at online golf stores, read books, maggizens TV, movies, go to the driving range, put in my condo, want the latest and greatest equipment. I have to tell myself that at 8pm I shut off the golf and do something different. I seem to not be able to get my mind off of golf. I want to be a good golfer but I can't get good enough or confident enough to play with others.
Also, I love everything Pooh Bear and company. This is a little wiered for an middle aged adult. This interest started as a little kid.
It is nice to see a lady golfer who likes the game as much as you do. My wife plays golf, but only if I talk her into going with me. Don't worry about golfing with others, I'm a better golfer than the average golfer and I am not a very good golfer. We are all just doing our thing and having fun.

Hello,

I seen you in the shoutbox and looked at your profile to see you liked golf

when I was younger I had an obsession for golf carts, the green EZ-GO brand from the 1980's (3 wheel battery powered) as my grandfather had one.

also, do you watch movies about it, such as the Legend of Baggar Vance?? or others (comedy movies)

me, I still like to look at golf carts, but I never played anything other then mini golf.

I do like to watch movies about golf. "The Greatest Game Ever Played" and one about Bobby Jones, He is one of the people who donated and helped to design the first course at Augusta.

I do like to watch movies about golf. "The Greatest Game Ever Played" and one about Bobby Jones, He is one of the people who donated and helped to design the first course at Augusta

Ha ha. I totally understand.

Golf was one of the many special interests that have attached themselves to me over the years. I used to read magazines and watch 'swing technique' & 'course management' dvds trying to build the perfect game, but sadly fell well short :mad:. Lack of natural ability probably had something to do with that, but it was an intense interest for a long time.

Nowadays I still enjoy a game every six weeks or so and love to watch the last day's play of the majors, but it ceased to be special many years ago.

I can't say I have ever played golf, but it seems like a lot of fun. I hope you continue to pursue your hobby in it, if it's something you enjoy whether you're as good as the pros or not it doesn't matter. But the more you do it I'm sure the more you'll improve.

I know how you feel with that though, I really love drawing but for as many years as I have been doing it, I feel I should be much better than I am. But, it's still something I enjoy regardless.

There are some very funny stories about golf, (imho) written by P.G. Wodehouse. The books are part of my supplies for when I get in very bad moods. I cannot help but laugh. Some were made into movies as well.

Ha ha. I totally understand.

Golf was one of the many special interests that have attached themselves to me over the years. I used to read magazines and watch 'swing technique' & 'course management' dvds trying to build the perfect game, but sadly fell well short :mad:. Lack of natural ability probably had something to do with that, but it was an intense interest for a long time.

Nowadays I still enjoy a game every six weeks or so and love to watch the last day's play of the majors, but it ceased to be special many years ago.

My mom had a natural swing and my great uncle introduced me to golf, also. I think I have a pretty good swing, but I get so nervous when I play with others. It is really bad this year for some reason. I have lost my confidence. I, also, have the feeling that when I am in a group that everyone else is in the group, but I am left on my own. It is very discouraging to not feel like you are part of the people you are playing with. I haven't really found a group to play with, yet. I will keep giving it a try.

My mom had a natural swing and my great uncle introduced me to golf, also. I think I have a pretty good swing, but I get so nervous when I play with others. It is really bad this year for some reason. I have lost my confidence. I, also, have the feeling that when I am in a group that everyone else is in the group, but I am left on my own. It is very discouraging to not feel like you are part of the people you are playing with. I haven't really found a group to play with, yet. I will keep giving it a try.
I used to have the same problem when playing with others - thinking about how bad I would look if I messed up. And when you think about the negative it often happens :mad:. Just like when you see the water hazard 50 metres ahead of you, if you fear it you will probably mis-hit straight into it, but if you acknowledge it and then focus on your actual target you usually have more success. The others in the group are more problematic as they are with you every shot of the game, but once again - thinking of failure usually ensures it will be the outcome. Removing the negative thoughts was a major problem for me developing a consistent game and sometimes still is.

I don't know if this will work for you, but nowadays I carry a 'key' thought around with me during a game. I tell myself that "I really don't care what happens - I'm just going to swing the club". It doesn't have 100% success rate, but I hit a lot more good shots and enjoy the game much more. If you can find enjoyment in the game I think you will naturally play much better.

As for feeling separate from the group - well for me that is not just on the golf course, but I'm used to that o_O

Thanks! I will try some of your advice. I do feel separated from the group in most situations, too.

There are some very funny stories about golf, (imho) written by P.G. Wodehouse. The books are part of my supplies for when I get in very bad moods. I cannot help but laugh. Some were made into movies as well.
Sam goes to the pro-shop at his country club to buy his wife a set of golf clubs for birthday. He picks the clubs that he wants to get for her, orders them and pays for them. After making sure that they will arrive before her birthday, he leaves the pro-shop. On the way out, he meets one of his golfing buddies, Paul.

Paul: "Hey Sam, what's up."
Sam: "I just got a set of golf clubs for my wife."
Paul: "Wow, that was a good deal".

I know, I know. That was terrible, but it's just a joke.

{this is embarrassing to say but I don't get it. Sometimes clueless=me.}

Paul: "Hey Sam, what's up."
Sam: "I just got a set of golf clubs (IMPLIED = in trade) for my wife."
Paul: "Wow, that was a good deal".

Paul is impressed with the good deal Sam got
by trading his wife in for a set of golf clubs.

The humor rests in the difference between the expectation
(that the clubs are a gift for the wife)
and the reality (he traded his wife for sports equipment.)

Another aspect of humor is the subtle acknowledgement that
many couples are divided about pastimes/recreations the spouse
follows. Some hostility is evident, in that Sam traded away his wife,
and that Paul thinks it was an improvement.

TSS, I have seen legend of Bagger Vance and best game ever played movies as well,

Caddyshack is another good movie as well if you like a bit of a laugh

teacher I had in technical school for buildings & grounds was also a groundskeeper at a golf course,

Looks like I've out all the golfers! Maybe a all Aspie golf league would work? A tip to remember; it's you against the course, no Joe Blow from Kokomo. Golf Playing golf can teach you how to the hazards (no pun intended) that we encounter in life. In golf and life we have to take the good bounces with the bad.

Golf is a fascinating game, with much to be obsessed about, as you have stated. What makes you think that you can't get good enough to play with others? My mom picked up golf in her late 40's, played in a league and never really progressed beyond an experienced beginner yet continued to play and enjoy the game for another 20 years. I played a lot with her when I was in my early teens (might say I was a bit obsessed myself).

Maybe getting out and playing with others might calm the feelings of being obsessed, if it really bothers you. Being Aspie, I know it's hard to be sociable, and some golfers have the reputation of being impatient with slow play, but I would think you could find a beginners league or just take a few golf lessons. Is there a small public course nearby where you could maybe be more comfortable playing?

Edit: Oh, nothing to be ashamed about with the Pooh bear stuff.:)
Come to Maywood in Bardstown, Kentucky! We'll play together.

New Threads

Top Bottom