• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Newly Diagnosed

Structrix

Hi all
I'm a 36 year old woman who just got diagnosed around 2 weeks ago with high functioning autism/asperger's. It's been a fight to get taken seriously but now I am done and I got my diagnosis.:p

Welcome to the world of AC :)

Find your place here and enjoy this friendly helpful forum

Hi all
I'm a 36 year old woman who just got diagnosed around 2 weeks ago with high functioning autism/asperger's. It's been a fight to get taken seriously but now I am done and I got my diagnosis.:p
That's great! I'm 37 y/o just came from the neuropsych the appointment was for anxiety I thought I would ask about my aspergers. He flat out said you do not have aspergers. Didn't give me a test or anything and it was our first meeting. Honestly I dont beleive the guy because I have two children on the spectrum one is severe can't speak the other is aspergers. I took an online test and scored 31 I do think the score was lower because as an adult I have learned more coping. I also identify with the symptoms listed. Not getting a diagnosis really bothers me because it would open alot of doors for me to get help so kind of feeling down today.

Welcome to AC! Congrats on your diagnosis. :) I'm currently self-diagnosed. I'd love to get my diagnosis, but I'm afraid even the doctor wouldn't believe me, as I've adapted to the point where it doesn't cause major disruption in my life (except for in my mind, on occasion), and I think a severe impairment or major disruption is required for an actual diagnosis, so that they know you really need the assistance they provide. :/

That's great! I'm 37 y/o just came from the neuropsych the appointment was for anxiety I thought I would ask about my aspergers. He flat out said you do not have aspergers. Didn't give me a test or anything and it was our first meeting. Honestly I dont beleive the guy because I have two children on the spectrum one is severe can't speak the other is aspergers. I took an online test and scored 31 I do think the score was lower because as an adult I have learned more coping. I also identify with the symptoms listed. Not getting a diagnosis really bothers me because it would open alot of doors for me to get help so kind of feeling down today.
I feel similarly. I haven't pursued a diagnosis because I don't have insurance, but even if I did, I'm afraid of getting this same reaction and falling into the crack between NT and AS (because I'm definitely not NT).

Welcome :)

I hope you feel right at home here, and are able to find many answers, and possibly even a few friends along the way.

I recommend taking a look at our resources page, for books on AS, as recommended by our members: Resources | AspiesCentral.com

I particularly like to recommend this book to women with AS, as it's a good read, and a great survival guide: Aspergirls: Empowering Females With Asperger Syndrome | AspiesCentral.com

Yes, I did get that book and read it. It was the first book on Aspergers I got since I realized that it was underdiagnosed in women.

To those of you who were turned down for your asperger suspicions I say keep trying. Twice I was told that I don't have aspergers but I kept nagging my regular psychologist and he got a friend of his to test me at a really reduced rate. They cut out most of the stuff that I didnt need like an IQ test and things and just went right to the grit. I say keep trying until someone is willing to give you a chance. Oh, and present evidence. I collected school reports, wrote by each DSM criteria why that applied to me and so on. The more evidence you present the more they will take you seriously.

Hi all

Welcome to AC, Structrix. That's one thing that really bothers me....is that the process of diagnosis really can be "a fight". It seems this way for so many of us.

Welcome to AC, Structrix. That's one thing that really bothers me....is that the process of diagnosis really can be "a fight". It seems this way for so many of us.
It's that fear of not being taken seriously that bothers me so much. Worrying that I'm not severe or impaired enough to count, and that I'll fall through the cracks. I know that might be insensitive to people who do have big problems, and for that I'm sorry.

It's that fear of not being taken seriously that bothers me so much. Worrying that I'm not severe or impaired enough to count, and that I'll fall through the cracks. I know that might be insensitive to people who do have big problems, and for that I'm sorry.
I had exactly the same fears as you and yes, I was not taken seriously enough at first but after showing my evidence it began to raise doubt in my therapist's eyes and he was okay with me getting tested to settle the question.

I would not put too much faith in just one Neuropsych opinion. You need to seek out lots advice for such a complicated issue. But no insurance is going to pay for that. Even here in San Francisco at the University of California (UCSF), a great resesrch hospital/University, they barely have a grasp on the spectrums problems.
If you are full blown autistic then there is more help and UCSF is great, but if you can cope on your own start researching, and here is a good place.
If depression is really getting to you then push for more help and really push.

New Threads

Top Bottom