• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Newbie question

I like using the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) as a starting point, for it is a good place to monitor the country's perception of things. They are like the Command Headquarters of medical issues and would be really important in a Zombie Apocalypse, until over-run. They describe ASD as:

"Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is a group of developmental disabilities that can cause significant social, communication and behavioral challenges."

Next is from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5). This is their section on severity.

Table 2 Severity levels for autism spectrum disorder

Level 3
"Requiring very substantial support”
Severe deficits in verbal and nonverbal social communication skills cause severe impairments in functioning, very limited initiation of social interactions, and minimal response to social overtures from others. For example, a person with few words of intelligible speech who rarely initiates interaction and, when he or she does, makes unusual approaches to meet needs only and responds to only very direct social approaches
Inflexibility of behavior, extreme difficulty coping with change, or other restricted/repetitive behaviors markedly interfere with functioning in all spheres. Great distress/difficulty changing focus or action.

Level 2
"Requiring substantial support”
Marked deficits in verbal and nonverbal social communication skills; social impairments apparent even with supports in place; limited initiation of social interactions; and reduced or abnormal responses to social overtures from others. For example, a person who speaks simple sentences, whose interaction is limited to narrow special interests, and how has markedly odd nonverbal communication.
Inflexibility of behavior, difficulty coping with change, or other restricted/repetitive behaviors appear frequently enough to be obvious to the casual observer and interfere with functioning in a variety of contexts. Distress and/or difficulty changing focus or action.

Level 1
"Requiring support”
Without supports in place, deficits in social communication cause noticeable impairments. Difficulty initiating social interactions, and clear examples of atypical or unsuccessful response to social overtures of others. May appear to have decreased interest in social interactions. For example, a person who is able to speak in full sentences and engages in communication but whose to- and-fro conversation with others fails, and whose attempts to make friends are odd and typically unsuccessful.
Inflexibility of behavior causes significant interference with functioning in one or more contexts. Difficulty switching between activities. Problems of organization and planning hamper independence.

Note that there is no catagory for those who 'Require No Support' I'll call that 'Level 0'.

Anyway, it's important to keep in mind what portion of the ASD population you mean when giving it a title or label. If you mean the entire Spectrum then yes there are certainly people disabled by it to varying degrees. If you work with or are exposed to some Autistic classes or group homes etc, it is very evident. But there are also people, with milder severity, essentially not disabled by it.

When I read the Level 1 description, (my diagnosis) at first I bristle a bit at the "requiring support". At first I have a negative reaction, after all, I've lived my life largely without any special support, not even the support normally provided by family and friends. Then I read the full description and accept that yes that is me, and remember all the time spent in therapy, all the struggles to get by, trying things and finding success elusive and realize that I do need support with this disorder.

I kind of look at it like my house, it would be a pretty unorganized place if not for my partner "supporting" me in keeping the place clean and reasonably tidy. I have challenges that I need help with.

So I guess I've slowly detached the term disorder from the idea that something is wrong. Something was wrong at one point; I didn't know what caused a lot of my problems. Now that I know, there's not so much wrong anymore.

Sadly, my best analogy is from a wiring class when I was pursuing a networking degree. Most of the population has T568A wiring, where my bunch has T568B. Both are valid schemes, but forcing one to be the other doesn't work out too well. In this case, starting a wire with a B configuration on one end of the cord and making it have A on the end will render the cord moot.

But putting A on one end and B on the other end let's you make some unusual connections that a straight-through can't make. ;)

I think the fact that I felt compelled to bring it up in the first place also firmly cements my place among the Aspie world. :p I only asked because I'm currently working on my Network+ certification. Back to our regularly scheduled programming. ;)

Just got mine a couple of weeks ago...those tests are hard!

New Threads

Top Bottom