• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Newbie question

Karin

I've only very recently begun to read about autism (mainly Aspergers) but it puzzles me that it can be labelled 'mental disorder'. From what little I already know it seems more like a different way for the brain to process information.

Am I wrong in looking at autism/aspergers from the point of view of it being simply a different way of seeing this world - challenging at times? Do people on the spectrum see themselves as having a mental illness? From reading the posts here I wouldn't use that term.

No, you're not alone. In fact, the whole neurodiversity movement is built on that premise. Currently, diagnosis is used by some because they assume abnormality is negative, and tolerated by others because it's the only way to give legitimacy to autistic experience (i.e. make other people believe you when you say you really do experience and understand the world differently!) and grant government assistance and school or workplace accommodations. At least that's my take.

Last edited:
I would say you are bang on, Karin.

Pathology is fraught by subjectivity anyway. Weather or not a condition is considered a disorder is largely a value judgement, more so than a fact.

Take for example hypertrychosis. This is a genetic condition in which people grow hair in abnormal places, such as their face. However, this condition presents no intrinsic impediment to function, and in the right environment may even be advantageous. It does, however, present a notable deviation from the norm that people consider undesirable, and is therefore termed a disorder

Hmm, we're going to end up with disorders being the norm simply due to numbers :)

But there is power in words and I don't like the focus on illness. For a variety of reasons (certainly Highly Sensitive) there are things I can't do or won't do but I can see details others don't see and translate them into photographs that move people. That makes me different from the norm, not sick.

I've only very recently begun to read about autism (mainly Aspergers) but it puzzles me that it can be labelled 'mental disorder'. From what little I already know it seems more like a different way for the brain to process information.

Am I wrong in looking at autism/aspergers from the point of view of it being simply a different way of seeing this world - challenging at times? Do people on the spectrum see themselves as having a mental illness? From reading the posts here I wouldn't use that term.

I think you are spot on Karin. I definitely don't see it as a mental illness in itself, although some may have co-morbid conditions which might include this. On it's own it's a collection of different abilities.

I am quite literal (that's uncommon amongst us:)) but I am not bothered by the "mental disorder" label.

My being on the spectrum has led to many complications throughout my life and since my diagnosis I have been working hard to mitigate some of larger negative issues related to my being an aspie. Thus I recognize it as a problem and a label that has negative connotations seems appropriate.

Of course, I am rather thick skinned, or more likely indifferent, and hard to wound with words, which is likely another aspect of my HFA.

I admit, at first when I heard of aspergers, on reading about a young girl who has it and thought: goodness me, virtually reading what I go through, I did think it was a mental illness. That was about 8 year's ago.

Since joining aspiecentral, that in my opinion, is by far the best forum on the internet, I changed my attitude fairly fast and yes, you are accurate in your estimation that indeed it is not an illness but just the way our brains are wired. The trouble is, that this world is made up of more NT's than aspies or classic autistic ones and thus, our "issues" are highlighted in a negative light and thus, charged with being mental. I am not putting all NT's into the same bag for there are some amazing people I know that are clearly NT and I like them very much. (perhaps they have aspie traits lol) ;)

Someone described it like this to me before; imagine a normal brain is a fuse box supplying electric all through a house it's more often situated by the front door which makes it easy to access. Then to think of an aspergers brain is a fuse box in another house but is situated in the bathroom instead, the house still gets electric, but in a different way and that causes some problems.

A lot of people with aspergers syndrome also have things like selective mutism and other things that co exist with it, it affects everyone in different ways like I don't really suffer with the sensory problems but suffer badly with social problems

Sadly, my best analogy is from a wiring class when I was pursuing a networking degree. Most of the population has T568A wiring, where my bunch has T568B. Both are valid schemes, but forcing one to be the other doesn't work out too well. In this case, starting a wire with a B configuration on one end of the cord and making it have A on the end will render the cord moot.

Sadly, my best analogy is from a wiring class when I was pursuing a networking degree. Most of the population has T568A wiring, where my bunch has T568B. Both are valid schemes, but forcing one to be the other doesn't work out too well. In this case, starting a wire with a B configuration on one end of the cord and making it have A on the end will render the cord moot.
When was this? Nowadays pretty much everyone uses the 568B standard. (Sorry, off-topic...just intensely curious. :p )

I definitely don't consider ASDs mental illnesses, but kind of like Datura was saying, it's important to note that the term "disorder" only means "not the norm". It has acquired a negative connotation for how it's been used since it crossed over from scientific to lay vocabulary. Researchers assign no intrinsic value judgment to it. Doctors? The better ones don't in the case of ASDs, but plenty do.

ASDs do defy the standard human neuro-psychological order. Many of us here think that's actually pretty cool. ;)

When was this? Nowadays pretty much everyone uses the 568B standard. (Sorry, off-topic...just intensely curious. :p )
2010. They never told us which one was the favorite, but I just assumed it was A because alphabetically it comes before B and most people prefer higher letters than lower letters. Heehee, I guess "A for Aspie" is a good way for me to remember that bit of trivia. :yum:

2010. They never told us which one was the favorite, but I just assumed it was A because alphabetically it comes before B and most people prefer higher letters than lower letters. Heehee, I guess "A for Aspie" is a good way for me to remember that bit of trivia. :yum:
I think the fact that I felt compelled to bring it up in the first place also firmly cements my place among the Aspie world. :p I only asked because I'm currently working on my Network+ certification. Back to our regularly scheduled programming. ;)

Researchers assign no intrinsic value judgment to it. Doctors? The better ones don't in the case of ASDs, but plenty do.

I am not so sure that all researchers avoid the trap of devaluing Asperger individuals. Just the label "syndrome" primes people to perceive all that is 'wrong' and anomalous about the category, and in many the unconscious urge to congratulate themselves on their relative normality is overwhelming ('I'm alright, Jack').

The ubiquity of scapegoats throughout history suggests that the human psyche has a need to project its unaccepted/ undesirable contents onto others, so that they can maintain a more acceptable, idealised version of themselves.

Which group is used as a 'hook' for their projections is probably determined by what is nearest to hand, who is in the minority, or what one's own particular hang-ups are – although I believe there can also be collective hang-ups. Take, for example, the neurotypical faulting of Aspergers for their perceived rigidity in social interactions – the Asperger 'failure' to adjust themselves to the situation and accommodate others.

It could be questioned whether the capacity for making constant adjustments to other people is a wholly positive quality. It might be correlated with an ability to switch others on and off, going from hot to cold, often within the same interaction. Witness the capacity of NTs to switch their attention off a person in mid-word, when they see someone socially desirable/worthy in the distance.

In contrast, Aspergers may be more consistent. They may not be able to deviate from feeling warm and trusting towards someone to suddenly addressing them with a sharp tongue, inserting a snide put-down, withholding information, or throwing a surly strop. They may be bewildered by such volatile temperature changes in NTs.

In sum, being mentally inflexible and bad at transitions may not always be a bad thing. It could signify instead a reassuringly steady temperament and a stable, reliable attitude.

I am not so sure that all researchers avoid the trap of devaluing Asperger individuals. Just the label "syndrome" primes people to perceive all that is 'wrong' and anomalous about the category, and in many the unconscious urge to congratulate themselves on their relative normality is overwhelming ('I'm alright, Jack').

In sum, being mentally inflexible and bad at transitions may not always be a bad thing. It could signify instead a reassuringly steady temperament and a stable, reliable attitude.

I can't disgaree with much of anything you wrote. You're right, there are surely some researchers whose personal opinions affect their objectivity. Sources of funding for their projects also play in. Then again, most reputable journals don't publish papers with perceptible evidence of bias, so in the end there is significant pressure to set aside value judgments when doing investigations if a scientist has any hope of becoming a well-regarded member of the broader scientific community. Evaluating the potential for value bias in research is ultimately up to the consumer. I'm a very strong advocate for informed consumption of information. Alas, not everyone is especially concerned about where data and conclusions are coming from.

"Syndrome" only needed to be applied once before it was accepted. It's less true today but back in Hans Asperger's time, that was the privilege of first description. You found it, you defined it and nobody was in much of a position to argue before your take became standard.

I agree that many ASD traits that are considered problematic are actually in many ways more pro-social than the "normal" way of doing things. That's another good argument for Asperger's as an equally healthy genetic variation rather than a genetic malfunction.

I live in Scotland and certainly here in the UK AS, Autism and any other linked condition is not viewed as a mental illness. This is definitely the case here.

I am quite literal (that's uncommon amongst us:)) but I am not bothered by the "mental disorder" label.

My being on the spectrum has led to many complications throughout my life and since my diagnosis I have been working hard to mitigate some of larger negative issues related to my being an aspie. Thus I recognize it as a problem and a label that has negative connotations seems appropriate.

Of course, I am rather thick skinned, or more likely indifferent, and hard to wound with words, which is likely another aspect of my HFA.

Wow how I envy your thick skinned attitude; can I have some lol

Wow how I envy your thick skinned attitude; can I have some lol

No problem Suzanne.

Actually I believe it is an aspie trait of mine. Because of my socialization issues I am a solitary person and not engaged with society, I really don't care what others think or say. It is one of those mixed blessings with both positive and negative aspects.

I think the fact that I felt compelled to bring it up in the first place also firmly cements my place among the Aspie world. :p I only asked because I'm currently working on my Network+ certification. Back to our regularly scheduled programming. ;)
Best of luck! And be very careful with those fibre optics.

Ahem, er, yes. I do not feel that I am broken. :p

I think that mood disorders such as depression or eating disorders can be described as mental illness, but not ASD. ASD is a neurodevelopmental disorder. However, having ASD can make people more susceptible to mental disorders.

Unbelievably, I've even heard of people, even professionals, describe ASD as a disease, and that's the misnomer I object to the most. It most certainly isn't a disease.

New Threads

Top Bottom