• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

new person here

kay

Hey, thought I'd give this place a try and see how it goes.
I'm 44, female, diagnosed with Asperger's at 27, biggest problems are sensory overload, fatigue, poor executive functioning, and severe generalized anxiety disorder. I am living in the midwest, a liberal in a red state, not at all good at math, I like being outside doing outside things, love weird art, could eat tacos almost everyday, and I hate when it's too warm to wear my green watch cap.

When I was growing up I had no diagnosis. It really screwed me up I think, not knowing why I was having so many problems. There are so few resources for adults that I've continued to struggle. I've been spending time on Wrong Planet which has been good in some ways, but I get sucked in easily to political arguments, it's a weakness of mine, and that has not been good for me. While I still plan on looking at WP when I can handle it, I was hoping this site here might offer more autism and less politics and therefore a less anxiety inducing place to learn from others.

il_570xN.628714944_mebl.jpg

hi kay,
welcome to AC,i think you will love it here!!

i am an ex member of wrong planet i had been there since the early days,it is a terrible site for cliques and petty arguements plus it has a prolific mentally ill guy who has many sockpuppet accounts [various personas] set up to manipulate and lie to the community faking various levels of autism and he takes advantage of the vulnerable,some of the mods were awful and quick to ban people or not listen to you at all.wrong planet also has connections to autism speaks,which is an issue for many autists.

aspiecentral however...is an amazing community,very 'chilled out' and calm, no one cares who you are or if you have a diagnosis and theres no clique behavior or immature squabbling.

Welcome to this friendly community! :) Yay for Taco Tuesday. Glad to have you aboard.
Best wishes
Rocco
IMG_3334.JPG

Welcome :)

There are so few resources for adults that I've continued to struggle.

I completely agree. I was diagnosed last year at 30, and there are far less things out there for adults compared to the resources for children (although I fully understand that those children need and deserve help, it does sometimes feel as if adults are overlooked sometimes.)

I was hoping this site here might offer more autism and less politics and therefore a less anxiety inducing place to learn from others.

Definitely :D

Serious taco fan here as well. Welcome to AC. :)

I still recall when I volunteered my mother to make tacos for my entire first grade class, who had never even heard of them.

They went over well with my classmates and my teacher.

Not so much with my Mom. :p

hi kay,
welcome to AC,i think you will love it here!!

i am an ex member of wrong planet i had been there since the early days,it is a terrible site for cliques and petty arguements plus it has a prolific mentally ill guy who has many sockpuppet accounts [various personas] set up to manipulate and lie to the community faking various levels of autism and he takes advantage of the vulnerable,some of the mods were awful and quick to ban people or not listen to you at all.wrong planet also has connections to autism speaks,which is an issue for many autists.

aspiecentral however...is an amazing community,very 'chilled out' and calm, no one cares who you are or if you have a diagnosis and theres no clique behavior or immature squabbling.

So far on WP I've found a few sensible people but quite a few who seem to just want to argue. One person keeps starting odd political threads that have nothing to do with ASD and then she gets kinda vicious. And I guess that can be ok if that's your thing, but not what I need. And I am politically active so it's hard for me to ignore even though I need to, I have enough stress. Thanks for the info and everything.

Welcome :)

I completely agree. I was diagnosed last year at 30, and there are far less things out there for adults compared to the resources for children (although I fully understand that those children need and deserve help, it does sometimes feel as if adults are overlooked sometimes.)

Definitely :D
Thanks , and I am glad kids don't have to go through what I did so much but still, us adults need at least some handy workbooks or something. Anything. Have you had any luck getting any help?

Thanks , and I am glad kids don't have to go through what I did so much but still, us adults need at least some handy workbooks or something. Anything. Have you had any luck getting any help?

I'm currently waiting to be referred to a service we have in my city that is exclusively for people aged over 16 who've been diagnosed as on the spectrum. They do social things in groups, can help with employment and benefits and with getting you help from other services I believe. They're based in the city centre, and you can just drop in there if you like and use their computer room, or quiet room etc if you're feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the people and noise in town.

That sounds like a nice service. Services here tend to be for people under 21 and I doubt anything quite so comprehensive, at least not for autism. There was a similar social group at one time but it was set up for high-school to college age, I think. Anyhoo, all quite a bit younger than me. What you describe sounds like a place my city does have for adults with mental illnesses. I used to go to the anxiety support group occasionally and that was somewhat helpful.

New Threads

Top Bottom