• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New member here :)

Starnight

So after being nervous about doing this for a few days I have finally decided to sign up. I am female, 20 years old and I live in Australia. I have been diagnosed with high degree social anxiety, ocd and Aspergers for about 6 months now. I like to read, I don't really watch movies that much but I love to watch documentaries. I am vegan and my best friends are my cats. Although I am nervous I can't wait to connect with some of you because you all seem so lovely :)

Hi Starnight (great name),

Welcome to AC, no need to be nervous here because you'll have a great time. Look forward to reading your posts :)

Welcome aboard :)
image.jpg

Hi & welcome!
I like documentaries too. History and Animals/Nature are my favorite documentary subjects. I have used watching Nature documentaries as a relaxation technique. They seem to have a calming effect... like Rocco's paintings!

Welcome Starnight; there is no need to be nervous, most of us have problems socializing and many share your exact same problems. You have found a place that understands.

Welcome Starnight; there is no need to be nervous, most of us have problems socializing and many share your exact same problems. You have found a place that understands.
Yeah, I was at the park the other day! The people were SMILING!!!!!!! I don't know if the people were smiling with me (to welcome me) or AT me? making fun of me???? So, finally, I decided to sit away from the people. At least I did not trip on my own two feet, while I was contemplating a brief talk with them. ha ha...... Contemplating socializing, that would be about the second time, ever in an entire year or two.

ha ha imagine, nerves and/or anxiety over something as simple as smiles? right???? oh, sheesh..... I have an over active imagination! plus, I actually have been laughed AT, too often.... sighs...

Welcome! I too am a newbie, and too am an Aussie!

Judging from your username, you're fond of astronomy. We Aussies have a fantastic night sky, for sure.

I love documentaries, too!

Welcome! I understand about the high anxiety, it was part of my diagnosis as well. I struggle with that part quite a bit. Along with Asperger's and a couple other factors, I at least know more about myself now.

Yeah, I was at the park the other day! The people were SMILING!!!!!!! I don't know if the people were smiling with me (to welcome me) or AT me? making fun of me???? So, finally, I decided to sit away from the people. At least I did not trip on my own two feet, while I was contemplating a brief talk with them. ha ha...... Contemplating socializing, that would be about the second time, ever in an entire year or two.

ha ha imagine, nerves and/or anxiety over something as simple as smiles? right???? oh, sheesh..... I have an over active imagination! plus, I actually have been laughed AT, too often.... sighs...

I also cannot read social signals.

My therapist recognized this and told me to study people to spot these signals. At the end of two weeks I had not recognized a single one. In some ways that is quite surprising; I am an engineer of considerable accomplishment and my ability to perceive things is quite good. Except when it comes to people.

My therapist was a bit surprised when I told him of my failures, but he did say that it is part of being on the spectrum.

One difference between you and I is that I am not bothered by this. I am secure and confident in myself and really do not expend much concern for the opinions of others. I just wished that I was able to make and hold onto friends and lovers.

I also cannot read social signals.

My therapist recognized this and told me to study people to spot these signals. At the end of two weeks I had not recognized a single one. In some ways that is quite surprising; I am an engineer of considerable accomplishment and my ability to perceive things is quite good. Except when it comes to people.

My therapist was a bit surprised when I told him of my failures, but he did say that it is part of being on the spectrum.

One difference between you and I is that I am not bothered by this. I am secure and confident in myself and really do not expend much concern for the opinions of others. I just wished that I was able to make and hold onto friends and lovers.
Interesting!!!!!!! My personal opinion (I am not a psychologist), is that it has something to do with lack of eye contact? Not sure person can be expected to identify faces with lack of eye contact in the face area???? ??? further more, how can a person find the important social clues that are in the crinkles by the eyes? in genuine smiles???? (I had some difficulty in this recently!!!!!!! recently, I discover tv ---or real life,--- person/people kept smiling, and doing evil mean intentions towards pets, grown ups and/or children?????! it was very very very confusing for me! who is unkind towards pets/children????! right? OH my gosh!)

The park......
yeah, sometimes, social situations! it does bother!!!!!!

suppose, ... Sometimes, a person can get apathy, .... used to being treated that way........... (is that the correct word? or maybe it is confidence? as you suggest?)

it bothers me, because maybe I was still holding onto a hope that they could become potential friends? if only I could... if you .... only..... did..... what is it that these social creatures want me to do? to fit into their exclusive little group? I Don't feel like I could ever have enough classes, education, Doctors or law degrees or money to match this exclusive clique of people????
ah, sighs.....
sorry this post is not about me, it is to be about new member here in Australia. so , I should let this go. It seems that Social issues are common !..... depends on how we choose to deal with that.....choices.

I love the name StarNight!!!!!!!!!!! : ) : ) : ) : ) : )

Last edited:
Welcome Starnight. I watch a lot of fictional television, but am also rather fond of documentaries. I am most fond of historical and scientific films, but find that most any topic can be interesting if framed properly. I once saw doc about screwdrivers. It was surprisingly fascinating. What kind of documentaries do you like?

Hi, and welcome. My best friends are cats too. I'm working on that haha. But more seriously, OCD, Social Anxiety, many of us can relate I'm sure.

Starnight

Welcome to the forums.

Indeed, this place is abundant of lovely people that will be happy to help you if you have any questions regarding Autism, Asperger's.

New Threads

Top Bottom