• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New Kid on the Block

Amy Susan Rose

Mitakuye Oyasin
Hardly a kid but new to this site. Hoping to gain insight and knowledge regarding the hand dealt to me at birth. I was diagnosed at 40 (finally) and misdiagnosed prior to that too many times to want to remember! However in the seventies I do remember a therapist asking me if anyone ever told me I was autistic. This was before Asperger was a familiar term in the land of psychiatry. I had never heard of the word and thought he meant artistic! I grew up the silent; the odd one, the one who kept to herself. I now understand the main reason I kept to myself was that my perception of the world was a bit off kilter compared to the NT's that surrounded me at home and at school. Nobody understood that at the time and it made for rough times growing up as I'm sure many of you can relate to. At the present I am very much at peace with myself and despite the turbulent youth and adolescence I endured I wouldn't want to be any other way. I accept myself, love myself, and think I'm pretty darn special....."I see beauty in Aspergers. I am not interested in preventing it or curing it. Aspergers is AWE-TISM!"

welcome.png

Hey there - from one late diagnosed woman to another!
I'm 35 and am in the process of being diagnosed as High Functioning Autism/ Aspergers.
We share a similar view that whilst our childhood and teenage years were riddled with angst, we are pretty happy with who we are and how we see the world. I like that I don't see the world the same as everyone else. It's been compared to a 'super-power' of sorts and that's kind of cool:D

... however, growing up was effing hard, man!

Hey there - from one late diagnosed woman to another!
I'm 35 and am in the process of being diagnosed as High Functioning Autism/ Aspergers.
We share a similar view that whilst our childhood and teenage years were riddled with angst, we are pretty happy with who we are and how we see the world. I like that I don't see the world the same as everyone else. It's been compared to a 'super-power' of sorts and that's kind of cool:D

... however, growing up was effing hard, man!
Yes, Lady Penelope, growing up was indeed effing hard. I'm surprised I survived. Like many I turned to self medication through drugs and alcohol. That made it easier to "socialize" however resulted in many bad episodes and eventually made me more of an outcast. Thankfully, I eventually overcame that life. I have two wonderful kids in their twenties and a marvelous grandson.

Welcome - self diagnosed at 53 and I would not change a thing, for everything I have experienced has made me an exceptional autistic individual.

I think for most of us as we grow older we look at it more as a blessing than a curse. We no longer care what anyone thinks of us....if they don't like us for who we are or how we act the heck with them. I think young people have it harder due to peer pressure and wanting to be part of the in crowd. Now I'm happy being part of the "out" crowd. So glad to hear you recognize the wonder of you; makes life a lot easier and enjoyable.

New Threads

Top Bottom