• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New here

Kskeeper

Apologies in advance for diving right in. First time forum user…
High masking adult female here, typically keeping it together on my own and powering through life keeping the painful parts private.
Self diagnosed audhd about 10 months ago.
20 years into successful career in social work profession.
Currently so deeply lost in burnout unlike any previous experience. Finally understanding myself has been a wild ride. In the past, the fear and shame around whatever made me different worked as fuel that pushed me through. Sheer refusal to fall apart.
Understanding my wiring has made for a new and different experience. So many solutions off the table, because it is what it is. Feeling so trapped and alone. A whole life of building a cage of normalcy and masking- I didn’t understand. I find myself here just reaching a hand out, grasping for hope and connection in a world where nothing feels like it fits. I am safe. Just feeling desperately alone and completely drained. So scary.
I have also experienced the gift in the (sef) diagnosis/realization as far as making things make sense as I reflect on my life.
I realize that I have been fortunate in many ways to have been able to build the life I have, given the difficulties of my inner world and the injuries I experience as a result of functioning in a world designed for NTs.
I have a journey ahead of me to dismantle much of what I have created that I can no longer tolerate living within. I have exhausted and drained myself to a frightening degree and my nervous system is just shot at the moment.
Terrified at the prospect of letting it all unravel so I can try to rebuild a healthy and realistic path forward. Feeling separated from all my strengths and gifts and in a dark place with no fuel in the tank to take action.
In some ways it was easier not to understand, because it allowed me to believe in the possibility of much simpler solutions. And while those efforts were misguided, I never found myself without direction and hope.
I have enough wisdom and experience to know that this dark time will pass. But in the meantime… oof. Taking comfort in the idea that there is a tribe that I belong to and that my pain is not unique.

Welcome!

May you find ways to better support yourself - burnout isn't fun and as the saying goes, you've got to take care of yourself first before you can take care of/for others.

On a side note, I've met a number of people in social work or social services on the spectrum.

Welcome! Burnout led to me getting diagnosed and then to the best days of my life so far. You will get through this and come out better for it. Peace and blessings.

welcome to af.png

@Kskeeper
Hello and welcome! I’m glad you found us and hope that you can do some unraveling and repairing while you are here. Sometimes we must undo a little bit before we can build ourselves up to full strength.

Apologies in advance for diving right in. First time forum user…
High masking adult female here, typically keeping it together on my own and powering through life keeping the painful parts private.
Self diagnosed audhd about 10 months ago.
20 years into successful career in social work profession.
Currently so deeply lost in burnout unlike any previous experience. Finally understanding myself has been a wild ride. In the past, the fear and shame around whatever made me different worked as fuel that pushed me through. Sheer refusal to fall apart.
Understanding my wiring has made for a new and different experience. So many solutions off the table, because it is what it is. Feeling so trapped and alone. A whole life of building a cage of normalcy and masking- I didn’t understand. I find myself here just reaching a hand out, grasping for hope and connection in a world where nothing feels like it fits. I am safe. Just feeling desperately alone and completely drained. So scary.
I have also experienced the gift in the (sef) diagnosis/realization as far as making things make sense as I reflect on my life.
I realize that I have been fortunate in many ways to have been able to build the life I have, given the difficulties of my inner world and the injuries I experience as a result of functioning in a world designed for NTs.
I have a journey ahead of me to dismantle much of what I have created that I can no longer tolerate living within. I have exhausted and drained myself to a frightening degree and my nervous system is just shot at the moment.
Terrified at the prospect of letting it all unravel so I can try to rebuild a healthy and realistic path forward. Feeling separated from all my strengths and gifts and in a dark place with no fuel in the tank to take action.
In some ways it was easier not to understand, because it allowed me to believe in the possibility of much simpler solutions. And while those efforts were misguided, I never found myself without direction and hope.
I have enough wisdom and experience to know that this dark time will pass. But in the meantime… oof. Taking comfort in the idea that there is a tribe that I belong to and that my pain is not unique.
Welcome. Hope you will find some peace here. :)

The burnout phase sucks. I hope you can get out of it soon with something new and fun. It’s nice to meet you!

New Threads

Top Bottom