• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Neurotypicals mutually accepting apparently contradicting thoughts

People can hold absolute core beliefs which are completely contradictory.

For example, a person may believe in "forgive those who trespass" but at the same time believe in the justice of shooting someone who stepped on their lawn without ever feeling a moment of remorse

Those beliefs aren't contradictory.

"forgive those who trespass" means don't hold grudges, be willing to forgive those who wronged you

"shooting someone who stepped on their lawn" is self-defense to protect yourself from harm.

The context is completely different. Not holding grudges doesn't mean you can't defend yourself.

If you meant "shoot anyone who dares to step on my property even if they aren't a threat" then that's a case of someone not believing what they claim to believe about forgiveness.

I'm not convinced this is a simply an NT phenomenon, but it certainly is a phenomenon. Many of the beliefs are polar opposites when compared next to each other, but equally as strong when compartmentalized. I can't speak for all autistic people, but I do find that I don't have these sorts of values, but this is very atypical and even strange to other people in my experience.

I agree this can occur with anyone, regardless of whether they are autistic. Sane people who hold contradictory beliefs aren't aware of it because if they were they'd change their beliefs so they weren't contradictory.

I've found that most of the time when it appears people are contradicting themselves, it's often just other people misunderstanding what they meant. For example, I believe all people have a right to freedom. I think criminals shouldn't be free. There is no contradiction, it's just that criminals are an exception to the rule.

Last edited:
Those beliefs aren't contradictory.

"forgive those who trespass" means don't hold grudges, be willing to forgive those who wronged you

"shooting someone who stepped on their lawn" is self-defense to protect yourself from harm.

The context is completely different. Not holding grudges doesn't mean you can't defend yourself.

I'm talking about literally defending threat to property with lethal force, not defending one's own life.

What do you mean by “good enough for anyone”?
Well, it is a saying that is out there. They don't seem to think there is any problem with English being an Adult's only language if the first one they learn as a child, but treating schoolchildren as if monolingualism is not to be tolerated.

Well, it is a saying that is out there. They don't seem to think there is any problem with English being an Adult's only language if the first one they learn as a child, but treating schoolchildren as if monolingualism is not to be tolerated.
Got to say I have never heard anyone say that English is good enough for everyone, or teach children that only knowing one language is not to be tolerated. Most people think that knowing a second language is very beneficial but are simply too lazy or distracted to learn, which is why children are often encouraged to learn a second language as it is far easier to do so while young.

Got to say I have never heard anyone say that English is good enough for everyone, or teach children that only knowing one language is not to be tolerated.
You may have heard similar things like, "you're in Britain, now speak English", Americans, likewise might hear things "Welcome to America now speak English". You may have come across YouTubers from foreign countries, who are even native speakers of other languages but still run their channels in English, a practice I have actually questioned to some extent, and at least one other person on this site has.
You may have heard of schoolchildren in English-speaking countries being required to learn a language other than English.

You may have heard similar things like, "you're in Britain, now speak English", Americans, likewise might hear things "Welcome to America now speak English". You may have come across YouTubers from foreign countries, who are even native speakers of other languages but still run their channels in English, a practice I have actually questioned to some extent, and at least one other person on this site has.
You may have heard of schoolchildren in English-speaking countries being required to learn a language other than English.
These are not mutually contradictory though.

Expecting people who immigrate to a country to speak the language of that country is in no way contradictory with wanting children to be able to speak more that one language. And Youtubers decision to make videos in the most widely spoken language in order reach a wider audience doesn't indicate any mutually contradictory ideas about the english language and childrens education either.

I think the OP is providing some bad examples, but I kinda get what he's talking about. It's like when a person is so neurotic about health and safety that they almost never leave the house, but then at the same time smoke a pack and a half of cigarettes a day and eat junk, processed food without a care.

I'm talking about literally defending threat to property with lethal force, not defending one's own life.

Forgiveness doesn't mean those who commit crimes shouldn't be held accountable. If you trespass on white house air space, the pentagon, a prison, or a military base you will likely be met with lethal force. That doesn't mean the people responding with force don't believe in forgiveness.

@NothingToSeeHere I was referring to the idea that it's no problem for adults who have English as their first language to run their entire lives in that language because English is good enough for everyone and requiring schoolchildren to learn a foreign language because one language is not enough.

@NothingToSeeHere I was referring to the idea that it's no problem for adults who have English as their first language to run their entire lives in that language because English is good enough for everyone and requiring schoolchildren to learn a foreign language because one language is not enough.
I know what you were saying, I'm merely pointing out that your thinking is flawed. These ideas are not in fact mutually contradictory, and they are more social norms than ideas that an individual will firmly hold.

I'm not saying that NTs don't believe mutually contradictory things, of course many do, as do many autistic people. It's just the examples you give don't really make sense and thus don't really get across whatever point you are trying to make (I'm not sure what that point is).

I'm not saying that NTs don't believe mutually contradictory things, of course many do, as do many autistic people
If we are to believe Temple Grandin and others who hate the way normal people think, it is neurotypicals who do this.

Here's another example; Unpopularity of a crackpot's belief is a totally legitimate reason to dismiss that belief. Unpopularity of a belief of a luminary in their chosen field (now considered a genius, once seen as a heretic) is not a reason to dismiss it at all.

Can anyone say how unpopularity of a crackpot theory can be a reason to dismiss it if unpopularity of the theory of luminary in their chosen field (now considered a genius, once seen as a heretic) is not a reason to dismiss it at all.
Galileo, Copernicus and Einstein are example of geniuses once considered heretics.

Can anyone say how unpopularity of a crackpot theory can be a reason to dismiss it if unpopularity of the theory of luminary in their chosen field (now considered a genius, once seen as a heretic) is not a reason to dismiss it at all.
Galileo, Copernicus and Einstein are example of geniuses once considered heretics.

What's your best guess?

Because people are irrational.

Galileo, Copernicus and Cantor went against established beliefs and were never considered crackpots. If unpopularity of their views is not a reason to dismiss them, how come crackpots are treated as of unpopularity of their hypothesis is a reason to dismiss them?

New Threads

Top Bottom