• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Networking events *eek!*

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
A kind of long story, two months was doing some street photography at a winter event, posted one photo on my Instagram, and a lady spotted herself. turns out she is very active in the local arts scene (this has nothing to do with dating!)

She is suggesting local arts events, at least some of which reek of networking style... Put me in a room where I know nobody and I have to do small talk where is no speaker or main event... I either completely freeze and become a wallflower, or I might just flee the scene entirely :rolleyes:

And I don't network all that well with other artists because of what I just said, the lone wolf syndrome a little... But maybe she makes a point or two

I also don't want to live my life at hyper speed doing too much, trying to cram too much in... And I do have some commitments already in other areas of my life, but maybe need to be more open sometimes...

You can learn these things, to some extent. I've got much less anxious in my social interactions over the years. I'm still not brilliant socially, but through practice I have improved, including in informal situations.

If you put yourself out there enough you can sometimes learn these kind of things. You might never be as good as some people who do it with ease, but you can make progress gradually. That's certainly my experience.

You can learn these things, to some extent. I've got much less anxious in my social interactions over the years. I'm still not brilliant socially, but through practice I have improved, including in informal situations.

If you put yourself out there enough you can sometimes learn these kind of things. You might never be as good as some people who do it with ease, but you can make progress gradually. That's certainly my experience.

As some of you know, I'm a person who can photograph complete strangers as a stranger portrait, but that feels less threatening to me then being in a room full of strangers at an event

And maybe I don't give myself enough credit for trying to learn new skills

Yeah, I hear you. I struggle very much with networking. I have nothing to say, and I'm very poor at pretending I do. I go to events at least twice a month and have been doing so for a few years now. Still no better, I just have nothing to say.

What you MIGHT want to do, if it feels comfortable, is disarm by being completely open. You might say to her "I'd love to come along, but I'm autistic so struggle. If you're up for looking out for me, I'll be there." When you have someone floating around matching you up, it becomes easier. Sign her up to do that.

Networking, that just makes me freeze up completely. I just feel that is so NT, and l am so ND. It feels fake, like l am hustling to get known but in the end of such a event gathering, you still don't know anyone. Just thank her for the info. And just don't volunteer anything more. Except you will think about it. You seem to have your own network system to some extent, sounds like it happens when you feel like doing it, a laissez-faire attitude.

A few things I learned along the way, and I am going through it right now professionally. (1) One does not make money on great ideas or products, but rather large markets. It has to have mass appeal. (2) The people you network with, investors, support staff, administrators, marketing, etc will only put forth the effort to help you if they see something in it for themselves. There has to be some inherent value for them. You have to change their hearts and minds first. (3) Those ideas and products that ultimately become successful are few and far between. (4) You have to know 1, 2, and 3 long before you even consider your "pitch" to other people.

@Sherlock77

Is there a way for your art to participate in those events without you having to participate? Is there a way you can send somebody else?

There are many ways of networking. If that woman is nice, you could explain to her your dilemma. Maybe she can think of alternative ways you can show your art without having to interact with many people.

Yeah, I hear you. I struggle very much with networking. I have nothing to say, and I'm very poor at pretending I do. I go to events at least twice a month and have been doing so for a few years now. Still no better, I just have nothing to say.

What you MIGHT want to do, if it feels comfortable, is disarm by being completely open. You might say to her "I'd love to come along, but I'm autistic so struggle. If you're up for looking out for me, I'll be there." When you have someone floating around matching you up, it becomes easier. Sign her up to do that.

I did tell her actually, and she was very understanding and made much the same suggestion

Networking, that just makes me freeze up completely. I just feel that is so NT, and l am so ND. It feels fake, like l am hustling to get known but in the end of such a event gathering, you still don't know anyone. Just thank her for the info. And just don't volunteer anything more. Except you will think about it. You seem to have your own network system to some extent, sounds like it happens when you feel like doing it, a laissez-faire attitude.

I think I do

It's rough, yes. It's one thing to be able to talk about the things / reasons why you are networking, but most tend to just talk about themselves the whole time, and I can't do that to their degrees. It's nothing like chatting here or how we spill related thoughts or diary-like musings at times. No, what most people do at these events fits exactly what I feel is the definition of pure arrogance, and it gets annoying because I always wind up with the sense that overall, these people truly only care about themselves more than the creative process or whatever creative project that requires a team to produce. As such, I will have little in relation to these people, and I won't be able to be around them too, too long. Doing panels at conventions most times leads to this...like after the panel, and then people may swarm you wanting to talk. I do however greatly appreciate finding the few who are like me. The wins are few, so the struggles will be plenty. I think the best thing to have is a wingman, if you will. You want that someone who can get you out of a social jam in a moment's notice...someone who will know when to, even.

New Threads

Top Bottom