• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My Way of Doing Things...

Alexis C

Hi everyone. I dont know if this is an ASD thing or it is just one of my many flaws but I encounter a lot of problems with my family when it comes to the pattern of doing things.

First of all, my family is very good at organizing their daily routine. They dont need to write it all down like i do. They are all independent and very capable. I dont know why i just couldnt think like them. I know our mindset is different but i dont think that is supposed to be that different. They often criticize me for not being able to do things effectively and efficiently. At times, they would have to accompany me to run my own errands so nth can go wrong. My method may be ineffective, slow, inefficient and sometimes stupid but they always work. And yes, my way of doing things may consume a lot more time and effort but im comfortable with it.

However they dont understand. They think i should get better with this by following their way. And im trying to. Its a slow process but im really trying. Im now working in a clothing store where things are ever changing and i think im doing good by adapting their pace. Im managing my own budget of expense so i dont have to ask them for money anymore. But its not good enough for them, cuz time is running out (im studying overseas and will be leaving in a few weeks) and their patience are also running out ( i lost my wallet recently and they didnt think i took care of it neatly).

I really am trying but some things just cant change. How am i supposed to tell them im trying to change when they already labelled me as "inefficient" and "slow"?

Hi everyone. I dont know if this is an ASD thing or it is just one of my many flaws but I encounter a lot of problems with my family when it comes to the pattern of doing things.

First of all, my family is very good at organizing their daily routine. They dont need to write it all down like i do. They are all independent and very capable. I dont know why i just couldnt think like them. I know our mindset is different but i dont think that is supposed to be that different. They often criticize me for not being able to do things effectively and efficiently. At times, they would have to accompany me to run my own errands so nth can go wrong. My method may be ineffective, slow, inefficient and sometimes stupid but they always work. And yes, my way of doing things may consume a lot more time and effort but im comfortable with it.

However they dont understand. They think i should get better with this by following their way. And im trying to. Its a slow process but im really trying. Im now working in a clothing store where things are ever changing and i think im doing good by adapting their pace. Im managing my own budget of expense so i dont have to ask them for money anymore. But its not good enough for them, cuz time is running out (im studying overseas and will be leaving in a few weeks) and their patience are also running out ( i lost my wallet recently and they didnt think i took care of it neatly).

I really am trying but some things just cant change. How am i supposed to tell them im trying to change when they already labelled me as "inefficient" and "slow"?
You are clearly amazing, try not to worry so much about fulfilling other peoples expectations.. you can only do things they way you do them and this should be accepted.

You march to the beat of a different drummer...that does not make it wrong

You will gain more coping skills as time passes and even if they do not fit into the "norm" they will be what you need to survive

Keep in mind many of us here were either never identified as spectrum disorders or later on in life and managed to do just fine as we adapted to the NT world around us at our own pace or reasons

Stay in the game,even if it takes playing by your own rules to win...it is not cheating,it is only following opportunity ;)

New Threads

Top Bottom