• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My Take On Culture

Riley

• So what if a girl is a 'fake geek'? That just means you have the opportunity to introduce her to something you love. If I'm correct, she'll end up loving it, too. Just give fakers a chance! Unless they're being obnoxious no-nothing-know-it-all.
  • You don't want your guns taken? Prove your responsible adults. And keep them away from crazy people.
  • "I see now that one's tastes/preferences are irrelevant. It is your personality that determines who you are."
  • Fundamentalist Christians these days don't understand that a God who demands perfection and condemns you to Hell at the littlest offense is unappealing compared to a God who loves you and forgives pretty much anything except for rape and murder.
  • Not all football players are horrible. Coming from me, you should be surprised.
  • Girls cannot determine who they fall in love with. They could be Rocky Horror. Or Nathaniel.
  • You say "offensive to Harley Quinn's character", I say "interesting spin."

God forgives ALL sins, even rape and murder. The only thing that sends people to hell is unbelief, & God doesn't send people to hell, people send people to hell.
I have no problem with guns, even though I don't own one. I don't need one in an apartment.
I don't even know what a fake geek is.
Everyone can choose their friends and significant others.

Interesting!

I was a "fake" goth once. I wore all black and even wore a big black cross, but that was it lol. Trying to "find myself" and discovered that goth was not for me.

Better still: ban guns altogether, because it would take a lot of money, no doubt, to vet every single one who wants a gun, in America! I grew up with guns; father had a collection of them and made his own bullets ( but thankfully, never used them for the evil purpose). I made one on this machine of his and am a fantastic target shooter, but I hate guns.

Yes, but just because we are who we are, does not give us the right to demonstrate that awareness, if it is to harm others either mentally or physically.

Our Creator does not demand perfection and He is a God of love and there is no hellfire. Hell is just the common grave of mankind ie death. We are the soul; we do not have a soul.

It doesn't matter what a person has done; if they are truly sorry and show this by action as well as words, then they are forgiven. Our Creator hates gluttery and drunkness etc, as much as murderers and rapists. In fact, He has the right to set the rule book, because as far as I am concerned, He created us.

True regarding football players, but grossly overrated ie the sheer amount they earn. I hate football lol

True regarding falling in love, but that goes for both sexes; however one can help what they do about falling in love, because if one falls in love with someone and it will cause pain for another, then it should be kept under wraps. Love does not give us the right to hurt.

Can't say anything about the last part.

You can't choose who you fall in love with, but you can choose whether or not to do something with those feelings. If you fall head over heels in love with someone you know is bad for you, you can choose to step away instead of plunging yourself headfirst into certain misery down the road.

• So what if a girl is a 'fake geek'? That just means you have the opportunity to introduce her to something you love. If I'm correct, she'll end up loving it, too. Just give fakers a chance! Unless they're being obnoxious no-nothing-know-it-all.
Define fake though. One who doesn't actually know much or isn't really that into the fandom/culture? Sure, makes sense to introduce them to more. One who is, say, faking it in order to gain something, that's a more complicated issue. It makes sense to be less accepting of con artists trying to scam you of your money using your hobby, for example.

• You don't want your guns taken? Prove your responsible adults. And keep them away from crazy people.
Obviously no person can keep the crazies in the world from obtaining them, it's inevitable.

• "I see now that one's tastes/preferences are irrelevant. It is your personality that determines who you are."
Agreed. Or your choices in spite of personality. Like, is a psychopath who feels malicious desires but chooses to suppress them because he wants to be better than that still a bad person?

• Fundamentalist Christians these days don't understand that a God who demands perfection and condemns you to Hell at the littlest offense is unappealing compared to a God who loves you and forgives pretty much anything except for rape and murder.
To me, a "bad" God makes more sense if there is one due to how hostile the universe is to life, and how much evil there is in the world. It doesn't make sense that a good, all-powerful God would choose this as the home for his creations if he wants them well. But I personally don't believe there is a God.

To me, a "bad" God makes more sense if there is one due to how hostile the universe is to life, and how much evil there is in the world. It doesn't make sense that a good, all-powerful God would choose this as the home for his creations if he wants them well. But I personally don't believe there is a God.
My thoughts on this matter is as follows; If there is a god, and he did create the world and us in his image, then he isn't truly bad or good. He created us as the only animals on the planet with the desire and means to actually conquer and have control over the world. In essence, he left us the world to do whatever we wanted with it, he doesn't stop us from hurting or killing one another, every decision is up to us. In short, if there is a god, then he is what you would define as being "true neutral".

Define fake though. One who doesn't actually know much or isn't really that into the fandom/culture? Sure, makes sense to introduce them to more. One who is, say, faking it in order to gain something, that's a more complicated issue. It makes sense to be less accepting of con artists trying to scam you of your money using your hobby, for example.

I would agree with needing a definition of "fake". When I hear most people use the term when talking about a (usually female) person, it's either males who are counting the other person as fake and not really into whatever it is purely because they're female. I've genuinely had a random stranger talk to me about game and the like who said "oh wow it's so unusual to meet a "girl gamer" who's into something other than dancing and singing games"...Firstly, I'm a 30 year old woman, so you can shove the term "girl gamer" up your a**e, and my having a vagina in no way influences my likes in games or anything else. The other type of people I hear using the term "fake" a lot is people who I usually refer to as "alpha nerds". They're really into say, a particular fandom, and if you can't tell them every minutiae of that fandom, then sorry, but you're faking it.

I would entirely agree with this. I also do not believe in god, but when you see all of the absolutely awful things that happen on Earth on a daily basis, how could a loving god allow these things to happen?

More viewpoints from me:
  • Batman & Robin is apparently an unholy abomination responsible for one of the worst shootings in recent years, whereas Teen Titans GO! is a saintly series meant to return DC and Cartoon Network to the glory days of the 90s. Disclaimer: All of this is sarcasm. I truly do NOT believe ANYTHING positive about the latter. And my icon should clue you in on how I feel about the former.
Seriously; The 'Poison Lenny' gag from "Revenge Is a Dish Best Served Three Times" (Specifically: "Bartman Begins") was less offensive than what Hollywood & Swine came up with. I understand 1997's film was a Box Office Bomb...But to a person NOT on the spectrum, how bad is it?

More viewpoints from me:
  • Batman & Robin is apparently an unholy abomination responsible for one of the worst shootings in recent years, whereas Teen Titans GO! is a saintly series meant to return DC and Cartoon Network to the glory days of the 90s. Disclaimer: All of this is sarcasm. I truly do NOT believe ANYTHING positive about the latter. And my icon should clue you in on how I feel about the former.
Seriously; The 'Poison Lenny' gag from "Revenge Is a Dish Best Served Three Times" (Specifically: "Bartman Begins") was less offensive than what Hollywood & Swine came up with. I understand 1997's film was a Box Office Bomb...But to a person NOT on the spectrum, how bad is it?
I think everyone on these forums is aware that you have no love for Teen Titans GO! since this seems to be mentioned in about 50% of your posts ;) I'm just wondering, why watch (or incessantly discuss) a show that so obviously pisses you off?

I do NOT watch it. Dropped Cartoon Network like a hot potato. And my motives:
  1. I'm an Aspie. It's a part of our nature.
  2. Keeps me from attempting to look up the show to upset myself
  3. Boredom, maybe? Spectrums like me usually wanna watch the world burn, so we set the woods on fire.

Riley

"...my icon should clue you in on how I feel..."

It doesn't, actually.
It is entirely without meaning to me.
I don't recognize it.

There is a thread for describing/telling about/explaining
one's icon/username, though. Check it out.

Indeed. You have to be a Batman fan to figure that out.

Poison Ivy (Uma Thurman)

Or maybe a Coasters fan. :p

As for my avatar, the only deep meaning it has for me is having come from a family who raised Yorkies for decades. Nothing more. ;)

I liked "Batman and Robin". So sue me. :p

Last edited:
Spectrums like me usually wanna watch the world burn, so we set the woods on fire.

Do you mean people on the spectrum who are specifically like you, or everyone who is, like you are, on the spectrum?

As for my avatar, the only deep meaning it has for me is having come from a family who raised Yorkies for decades. Nothing more.

I love your avatar :hearteyes:

New Threads

Top Bottom