• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Maslow’s Hierarchy and Autism.

Dude…does anyone see how you could go top down? I feel like I’m the only one making my own theory. And I also feel like no one so far is even paying attention to my theory…just arguing.

Chill… here’s the pyramid and Maslow’s description of transcendence:

My theory that you can go backwards and an example where cognition wasn’t fulfilled so the ones below it weren’t either.

So first Adam had God. (Transcendence).
Then God gave Adam a job as a gardener and a wife, Eve. (Self-actualization).
It was their job to keep the garden beautiful. (aesthetics).
They ate of the tree to gain wisdom. (Cognition).
They failed to keep the rules of the game and lost esteem with God and each other. (Esteem).
They formed a family but had no sense of belonging because their son killed his brother. (Belonging).
Murder was now a possibility (Safety).
They were cursed to eat of the ground by the sweat of their brow (Physiological).

I understand what you mean.
I personally believe that you can reach the higher parts without fulfilling the lower parts. I know a lot of people who have their social needs met but material ones are not.
Transcendence i believe is possible for everyone, and not dependent on the circumstances. Otherwise, the poor and the downtrodden would have no chance to "self actualize" a lot of people's lives depend on circumstances they can't control.

…does anyone see how you could go top down? I feel like I’m the only one making my own theory. And I also feel like no one so far is even paying attention to my theory…just arguing.

Your theory makes sense since, like the Hierarchy of Needs, it's about people.

But while you can reasonably repurpose the categories, you can't borrow the structure.

BTW you're making a standard mistake. You're conflating the process that led to your inspiration with the result - the ideas/concepts themselves. It works for you, but it won't work with other people, especially those who have their own understanding of and uses for the original.

This is just a minor communication error, but it's affecting your ability to frame the discussion you want.

Reframe without that pic and the well-known name, and it will work much better.

Last edited:
I understand what you mean.
I personally believe that you can reach the higher parts without fulfilling the lower parts. I know a lot of people who have their social needs met but material ones are not.
Transcendence i believe is possible for everyone, and not dependent on the circumstances. Otherwise, the poor and the downtrodden would have no chance to "self actualize" a lot of people's lives depend on circumstances they can't control.
Thank you! Somebody gets it!

One thing I note, is the only way to be able to not spend extended time in the lowest levels is for someone to be doing the work for you. So to dwell primarily in the top concerns can be done, but its an artifical situation requiring something like a wealthy family, societal support, religion based support (like a Pastor), a room in Eden, etc. So most of the world's population can't do it and having autism, alone, will not make it possible either.

New Threads

Top Bottom