• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Made to feel like a child - Awww Muuum!

Spiller

Just.. WEIRD!
So I bought a cheap car 3 weeks ago and the heater packed up and leaked all the water from the cooling system into the passenger footwell as my lady friend and I very slowly drove 20 miles home, entertained by the engine overheat alarm and a steady flow of warm steam, like a live stage effect, billowing out of the air vents, over the dash and across our feet.

Not the best end to a lunch date I've had.. my reassurances that such things just make life interesting were not met with amusement.

Later, A quick half-an-hours' work isolated the plumbing to disconnect the heater so I could still use the car.. until the oil cooler started leaking engine oil into the cooling system providing me, again, with my favorite engine overheat alarm and a long contrail of dense white smoke populated by vaguely seen tooting cars as I again drove slowly along.
I isolated the plumbing to the oil cooler in the hope that the engine wouldn't run too hot and then let it idle for 6 hours while I painstakingly drained the oil out of the water system. That done, the car ran perfectly at normal temperature for a whole 20 mile road test.

Chuffed!

I got back, checked the oil and water levels, topped them up a tad then jumped in to go out.. whereupon the entire 4 litres of oil was dumped on my folks' driveway.

Enough. Car now economically unviable (dead as a dodo), stranded - date and home out of reach, a huge puddle of oily gravel to shovel up and replace and looking for a new car.

As it's going to take a few days to sort the funds I approach the folks for a loan to cover me for now, only to find that, not only does Mother insist on driving me as she suddenly doesn't trust me behind the wheel, she's going to pick an appropriate car, talk to the dealer and test drive it herself, as I'm apparently incapable of making grownup decisions and still need a parent to wipe my nose for me!

- Do you experience times when, no matter your age, experience, work and relationship status, you're still treated like a child, whether following events that could happen to anyone or because your family go through phases with how they treat you or.. what?

- How do you deal with it - are you annoyed, do you take it in your stride?

- Why do you think people - it doesn't just have to be family - feel compelled to act this way?

Last edited:
So I bought a cheap car 3 weeks ago and the heater packed up and leaked all the water from the cooling system into the passenger footwell as my lady friend and I very slowly drove 20 miles home, entertained by the engine overheat alarm and a steady flow of warm steam, like a live stage effect, billowing out of the air vents, over the dash and across our feet.

Not the best end to a lunch date I've had.. my reassurances that such things just make life interesting were not met with amusement.

Later, A quick half-an-hours' work isolated the plumbing to disconnect the heater so I could still use the car.. until the oil cooler started leaking engine oil into the cooling system providing me, again, with my favorite engine overheat alarm and a long contrail of dense white smoke populated by vaguely seen tooting cars as I again drove slowly along.
I isolated the plumbing to the oil cooler in the hope that the engine wouldn't run too hot and then let it idle for 6 hours while I painstakingly drained the oil out of the water system. That done, the car ran perfectly at normal temperature for a whole 20 mile road test.

Chuffed!

I got back, checked the oil and water levels, topped them up a tad then jumped in to go out.. whereupon the entire 4 litres of oil was dumped on my folks' driveway.

Enough. Car now economically unviable (dead as a dodo), stranded - date and home out of reach, a huge puddle of oily gravel to shovel up and replace and looking for a new car.

As it's going to take a few days to sort the funds I approach the folks for a loan to cover me for now, only to find that, not only does Mother insist on driving me as she suddenly doesn't trust me behind the wheel, she's going to pick an appropriate car, talk to the dealer and test drive it herself, as I'm apparently incapable of making grownup decisions and still need a parent to wipe my nose for me!

- Do you experience times when, no matter your age, experience, work and relationship status, you're still treated like a child, whether following events that could happen to anyone or because your family go through phases with how they treat you or.. what?

- Why do you think people - it doesn't just have to be family - feel compelled to act this way?

My wife and I get this kind of treatment from our children. While it is true that we are getting older, we are not ready for the old folks home yet. But I know that they are well meaning so we just take it stride. It is nice to have family around who care and worry about you. Particularly when you know that they have families of their own to care for and worry about. Family is everything!

Bad luck is always worse the more people it involves. Sorry to hear about your woes. My partner sometimes treats me that way when I mess something up.

My wife and I get this kind of treatment from our children. While it is true that we are getting older, we are not ready for the old folks home yet. But I know that they are well meaning so we just take it stride. It is nice to have family around who care and worry about you. Particularly when you know that they have families of their own to care for and worry about. Family is everything!

I agree, when you have close family that is everything!
I'm very close to mine though, at times like this, I wish I was just a bit further away..

Bad luck is always worse the more people it involves. Sorry to hear about your woes. My partner sometimes treats me that way when I mess something up.

I find that when more people are involved I'm more able to accept and make light of it - turning it into a funny story here helps me to put it into perspective.. it's not such a world-ending disaster after all, even though I'm stranded at my folks' place out in the country till Mummy finds a car for lickle baby Spiller :rolleyes:
Do you think your partner acts so because you're on the Spectrum, or do you think it's a common thing anyway?

Last edited:
I get very upset when I'm treated like a child, I have been handling my own life mostly since I was 15 and, entirely since I was 16 (I was emancipated at 16) I have not gone broke, starved to death nor killed myself yet so, they can either treat me as an adult or GTFO PERIOD.

Infantilization is about controlling the person. It's about power. Good luck getting your mom to admit it, though.

I tend to ignore people who do it to me. Permanently. It's not even on purpose, I just lose interest and become immune to ever finding them interesting. Not sure exactly how that works.

My mother has cycles, where she'll treat me like **** and when realizing it neither works nor gains her anything, she'll treat me a little better, which then turns out to work, and then she'll go back to treating me shittily again. My father, I never even see anymore. It took him years to start respecting that.

I get very upset when I'm treated like a child, I have been handling my own life mostly since I was 15 and, entirely since I was 16 (I was emancipated at 16) I have not gone broke, starved to death nor killed myself yet so, they can either treat me as an adult or GTFO PERIOD.

Infantilization is about controlling the person. It's about power. Good luck getting your mom to admit it, though.

I tend to ignore people who do it to me. Permanently. It's not even on purpose, I just lose interest and become immune to ever finding them interesting. Not sure exactly how that works.

My mother has cycles, where she'll treat me like **** and when realizing it neither works nor gains her anything, she'll treat me a little better, which then turns out to work, and then she'll go back to treating me shittily again. My father, I never even see anymore. It took him years to start respecting that.

I'm normally a fairly placid and patient person, but I confess to some biting sarcasm on occasion, right before biting my tongue so I don't say anything more that I'll regret later.. I find it really hard to stay calm around family - seems I'm much more prone to irritation when mum asks me if I'm sure I know what I'm doing, as if I'm actually regressing myself, in a way.
Out in the world I'm a grown man and that's it. Around family the perception and relationship are much more mixed up - your relationships as a child mixed up with adult attitudes, I guess.
Add in variations in how close, distant and complex your relationship with family is and all I can see is that they're a tough bunch to be me around :confused:

Last edited:
Take your next prospective auto acquisition to a professional auto diagnostician so you can eliminate your mother from the equation altogether. That might be enough to pacify her motherly concerns. At least for the car. The rest? That's another matter...:eek:

Even in her old age (and mine) at times I was still mom's baby boy. o_O

First, BRAVO! Because not many can achieve what you achieved with the car!

Second: alas, I have to point to my husband in this instance, for he treats me like a child often. I hope that will chance soon enough, and it better change because really at 45, who likes being treated like a child and especially by one's own "romantic" partner?!!!!

This happens to me a lot, with my mom. It really, really irritates me, as I am a grown woman and almost fiercely independent. But, she tries to do a lot of things for me, things that I can easily do on my own. The most recent and strange example: for a while, I've been wanting and thinking about getting a pet. My parents knew I wanted a dog, possibly a cat (but I'm allergic to both). My mom has, in the past, offered to get me a dog or a kitten (because she has a friend who breeds cats). I've always resisted, because I knew I would prefer to adopt or rescue an animal in need, rather than using a breeder.

Anyways, last month, my friends rescued a kitten and brought him to me to foster. I am miraculously not allergic to him and fell immediately in love, and decided to keep him forever. When I told my mother, her response was: "Noooooo!" "I don't like cats!" "Cats are terrible, they are so dirty!" "Cats jump on counters!" And a whole slew of other strange responses.

This infuriated me, because 1) I'm not an idiot. I understand what a cat is and what their behaviors are, and what being a cat-mom entails; 2) Her comments were stereotypical of some strange superstitions and irrational myths about cats, particularly as opposed to dogs; and 3) SHE HAD PREVIOUSLY OFFERED TO GET ME A KITTEN. o_O

I realize, though, that her response was not about my new kitten, but about the fact that I did not go through her to find my new pet.

I think there's two ways to look at this sort of parental behavior. The first approach is to infer a desire for power and control. This is, admittedly, where my mind first goes whenever my mom does stuff like this. The second, though, is a little more optimistic. I'm not a parent, but I imagine that being a parent is an all-consuming job. For years, parents are dedicated almost entirely to their children, and I think many of them derive much of their self-worth and pride from their role as a parent, during those childhood years.* I imagine it's a strange and traumatizing experience when their children are suddenly independent and self-sufficient. I think my mom is actually at her happiest when she feels like she is doing something for me and my sister, when she feels like we need her. As annoying as it is, or as much as she might even tease us about how much she has done for us, I think doing for us really does make her feel good. Though it does suck that, in her attempts to feel needed again, she infantilizes us.

*I realize I'm making generalizing statements about parents, and that not all parents are dedicated to their children in the same ways. :( All parents are certainly different; this is just one possible way to frame certain parental behaviors.

I find that when more people are involved I'm more able to accept and make light of it - turning it into a funny story here helps me to put it into perspective.. it's not such a world-ending disaster after all,

Then you are blessed with caring and understanding people who have a sense of humor. I've not always been so lucky.

Oh Spiller, my compassion for your misadventures! Yikes! I wish you a fabulous car :bluecar: .. no, a rocketship! :rocket:

I can relate. My spectrum-y behavior sets me apart, and I am unable to drive. Also, I need some supports/services to function optimally. People sometimes treat me as if I were a child. Frustrating. I may opt to keep quiet if it's someone who is assisting me, is elderly, well-meaning, etc. However, I may choose to tell them that I am going to do things a different way. This will remind them that I am an adult, and intend to make my own choices.
It is hard to set healthy boundaries when the person breaking 'em basically just means well or if I need their help. I make the call for politely. obliquely asserting my adulthood on a case-by-case basis.

I find it really hard to stay calm around family - seems I'm much more prone to irritation when mum asks me if I'm sure I know what I'm doing, as if I'm actually regressing myself, in a way.
Out in the world I'm a grown man and that's it. Around family the perception and relationship are much more mixed up - your relationships as a child mixed up with adult attitudes, I guess.
Add in variations in how close, distant and complex your relationship with family is and all I can see is that they're a tough bunch to be me around :confused:

The second, though, is a little more optimistic. I'm not a parent, but I imagine that being a parent is an all-consuming job. For years, parents are dedicated almost entirely to their children, and I think many of them derive much of their self-worth and pride from their role as a parent, during those childhood years.* I imagine it's a strange and traumatizing experience when their children are suddenly independent and self-sufficient. I think my mom is actually at her happiest when she feels like she is doing something for me and my sister, when she feels like we need her.

I had to laugh when I read your OP, Spiller -- Harrison and I were just talking about this exact thing this morning. You don't post new threads very often, so to see this one in particular today was just too funny.

My own incident: I told my mom on the phone yesterday that Harrison purchased something we're excited about; not something super-extravagant, but not something my mother understands. My sisters and I have all had a lot of financial ups and downs, so whenever we buy something "fun", take a vacation or anything whatsoever that isn't practical, she always has to give us a little sermon about Needs vs. Wants. Suffice it to say that Harrison, who is only four years younger than my mother, is now officially her son. Her immediate reaction was, "How much did that cost him? Aren't you guys supposedly to be saving for your move?" The usual sermon followed. She doesn't sound angry or anything -- just what I guess you would call "Mom Frustrated". I told him about it this morning and it made him smile.

It's a pain in my butt when my mother launches into one of her "talks", but I know what she means by it because I know my mother. It's NTgirl4276's second, optimistic position, which I think she stated beautifully. In short: The role she's had in my life from birth doesn't just switch off because I'm grown up, because it's literally the role of a lifetime.

I could be annoyed that my mom is now playing that same role with Harrison, and so could he. But we're not. It's actually a sign I didn't think I would necessarily see, and I'm really happy to see it. It means she's truly accepted him into the family, and at an approximation of the same level as me, because he's my mate.

When my mom does her routine on me, I always have to consciously reach back to basics and remember that we have a great relationship. Because we do, I can understand and accept where she's coming from. I can be as adult and independent as I want, but at the core of things, that doesn't change who we are to each other.

All my lack-of-respect issues are squarely on age. I'm in my mid-20s, so I get baggage dumped on me from dolts my own age making bad decisions.

There is a mild parenting struggle over my kid, but I gained a lot of respect and freedom from most of my relatives when they deemed me a competent parent. It didn't take too many examples to win them over. One elderly couple will likely never be won over, but that's more due to the quality of their relationship than anything to do with me. They're used to relying on each other for everything, so even though I am standing RIGHT THERE while I let my kid play with them, they will ask each other to watch him when they have to go do something.

Good luck on taming mom,but keep in mind that mothers hold their children's hands for a little while and their hearts forever. :p
I would find her another task to perform on car buying day ;)

It sounds to me like you were chasing your tail so to speak with your repairs,but sometimes the only way to know for sure is to get dirty first and you went about it properly. Well done big guy,you make me proud of you.:)
As a former automotive repair business owner/technician,I am going to have to say your car died it's horrible death from the first overheat when the heater core failed and you hot blocked it back home.I haven't found an engine yet that likes to be "heat treated" as we call it. You have described perfectly all the indicators of a blown cylinder head gasket that led to the demise of your engine.

Brief update:

I looked at a car last night - yep, I had to get me mum to drive me over there.
I knew the model, knew what to look for, liked the color, chatted to the bloke for a minute, went to get in to go for a test drive.. to be presented with a hand, palm out, for the keys - an intent mother climbing into the driving seat saying, "I know all about these cars, I'll soon tell you if it's any good or not".

Well thanks, mum, how would I have coped :rolleyes:

Excellent condition, reasonable price, I bought it.. actually I had to ask my mum for the money - in front of the bloke!
I'd have knocked £50 off as the headlights are plastic and have gone milky, but mum was enthusing about how lovely it is, so I figured I'd lost the buyers edge by that point.

At least she didn't say, "What's the magic word then?".. "fank oo mummy" o_O

She did try to change my nappy in the back seat before we left, though :p

Consciously maintaining an inner sense of calm and just going along with it is the only way I've ever found to cope here - the many and varied ways I've employed over the years to remind her that I'm a competent adult could have been equally well received by a rock, I feel!

First, BRAVO! Because not many can achieve what you achieved with the car!

Second: alas, I have to point to my husband in this instance, for he treats me like a child often. I hope that will chance soon enough, and it better change because really at 45, who likes being treated like a child and especially by one's own "romantic" partner?!!!!

Aw, shucks, Suzanne, thanks, but you could have done the same ;)

From my own experience with a partner, I think it's very difficult to have a good, mature relationship if it's rocked by this dynamic.. I felt resentment at being made to feel inferior and that was difficult to let go of after several years of similar occurrences.
How does he deal with you pointing it out?

I think there's two ways to look at this sort of parental behavior. The first approach is to infer a desire for power and control. This is, admittedly, where my mind first goes whenever my mom does stuff like this. The second, though, is a little more optimistic. I'm not a parent, but I imagine that being a parent is an all-consuming job. For years, parents are dedicated almost entirely to their children, and I think many of them derive much of their self-worth and pride from their role as a parent, during those childhood years.* I imagine it's a strange and traumatizing experience when their children are suddenly independent and self-sufficient. I think my mom is actually at her happiest when she feels like she is doing something for me and my sister, when she feels like we need her. As annoying as it is, or as much as she might even tease us about how much she has done for us, I think doing for us really does make her feel good. Though it does suck that, in her attempts to feel needed again, she infantilizes us.

Both points agreed.
I think, though, that there's a crossover here - my mum can't let go of the parent to young child relationship, even though that was 40 years ago - she never got used to me being married or owning my own house, business.. life.
She still tries to make decisions for me, questions decisions I make - I washed the car today, after a 10 minute discussion over whether it needed it :neutral:

There's an automatic assumption of power and control and she is still traumatised that her babies left home 30 years ago.

My boys are growing up - my oldest is a man, my youngest has his own mind.
I was there when they came into the world, I fathered and nurtured them as they grew and learned where and who they are.. now I'm their friend - I'm still their father, of course, but the role is becoming unnecessary now as I find I'm learning from them.
I don't try to hold on to it, or them - being a father doesn't define me, it's the role I fulfilled (with pleasure) when it was necessary.

Then you are blessed with caring and understanding people who have a sense of humor. I've not always been so lucky.

I'm blessed with the support of understanding friends here on AC, On the Inside, yourself included.

Oh Spiller, my compassion for your misadventures! Yikes! I wish you a fabulous car :bluecar: .. no, a rocketship! :rocket:

I can relate. My spectrum-y behavior sets me apart, and I am unable to drive. Also, I need some supports/services to function optimally. People sometimes treat me as if I were a child. Frustrating. I may opt to keep quiet if it's someone who is assisting me, is elderly, well-meaning, etc. However, I may choose to tell them that I am going to do things a different way. This will remind them that I am an adult, and intend to make my own choices.
It is hard to set healthy boundaries when the person breaking 'em basically just means well or if I need their help. I make the call for politely. obliquely asserting my adulthood on a case-by-case basis.

Thank you, Warmheart, not misadventures, though - the dry-ice effect over the dash and ankle deep on the floor was amazing.. I've been speculating as to how I could set that up intentionally. I'd replace the overheat alarm with some appropriately themed music though; Vincent Price's voiceover from Michael Jackson's 'Thriller', or the theme from '2001 A Space Odyssey.. give it a rocketship-feel :D

I completely agree with politely and obliquely asserting yourself, though I do find that other, forceful personalities still attempt to overwhelm.. and I maintain that you haven't met my mum :p

My own incident: I told my mom on the phone yesterday that Harrison purchased something we're excited about; not something super-extravagant, but not something my mother understands. My sisters and I have all had a lot of financial ups and downs, so whenever we buy something "fun", take a vacation or anything whatsoever that isn't practical, she always has to give us a little sermon about Needs vs. Wants. Suffice it to say that Harrison, who is only four years younger than my mother, is now officially her son. Her immediate reaction was, "How much did that cost him? Aren't you guys supposedly to be saving for your move?" The usual sermon followed. She doesn't sound angry or anything -- just what I guess you would call "Mom Frustrated". I told him about it this morning and it made him smile.

I've had this in spades all my life - I'm the best at saving money ever!
I see this as a wartime mindset - the societal directive back then was 'Make do'. I think the mental/emotional scarring from that time has lingered on..
I actually realised recently that I never got into spending money on myself in all the years I've worked - with that realisation I've made a pact with myself that I'm going to enjoy some of my hard-earned, even when times are tight!

Needs vs Wants.. sometimes putting a smile on your face is a Need, I think. :)

All my lack-of-respect issues are squarely on age. I'm in my mid-20s, so I get baggage dumped on me from dolts my own age making bad decisions.

There is a mild parenting struggle over my kid, but I gained a lot of respect and freedom from most of my relatives when they deemed me a competent parent. It didn't take too many examples to win them over. One elderly couple will likely never be won over, but that's more due to the quality of their relationship than anything to do with me. They're used to relying on each other for everything, so even though I am standing RIGHT THERE while I let my kid play with them, they will ask each other to watch him when they have to go do something.

Oooo, 'Competent parent syndrome', yes indeedy!
When both my kids were babies I'd change all their nappies as their mother didn't like doing it, hug them if they fell and hurt themselves then clean up the wound - you know the sort of stuff.. it wasn't uncommon for another mother to move me out of the way and take over! With my kids!
I expect being male had a lot to do with it - back then men didn't get involved with babies (bonding that closely with my boys is, far and away, the best thing I've done in my life - for them and me) - but I did have a battle to be thought of as a competent parent!

Good luck on taming mom,but keep in mind that mothers hold their children's hands for a little while and their hearts forever. :p
I would find her another task to perform on car buying day ;)

It sounds to me like you were chasing your tail so to speak with your repairs,but sometimes the only way to know for sure is to get dirty first and you went about it properly. Well done big guy,you make me proud of you.:)
As a former automotive repair business owner/technician,I am going to have to say your car died it's horrible death from the first overheat when the heater core failed and you hot blocked it back home.I haven't found an engine yet that likes to be "heat treated" as we call it. You have described perfectly all the indicators of a blown cylinder head gasket that led to the demise of your engine.

Thanks, Nitro, high praise indeed from the Master!
I'm gonna jack it up and see where the oil's coming from - maybe it's a silly little thing (said he hopefully), won't know till I look.. then I'll evaluate from there.
I made sure the temp. gauge didn't hit the stop all the way home and kept feeding it water, but I appreciate that uneven, excessive heating doesn't win awards for increasing engine performance by distorting the block :oops:
It's a VW diesel too and they're tough, so I'm still surprised it's been such a dog.. but hey-ho.

Last edited:
I was there when they came into the world, I fathered and nurtured them as they grew and learned where and who they are.. now I'm their friend - I'm still their father, of course, but the role is becoming unnecessary now as I find I'm learning from them.

Doin' it right. :)

Oooo, 'Competent parent syndrome', yes indeedy!
When both my kids were babies I'd change all their nappies as their mother didn't like doing it, hug them if they fell and hurt themselves then clean up the wound - you know the sort of stuff.. it wasn't uncommon for another mother to move me out of the way and take over! With my kids!
I expect being male had a lot to do with it - back then men didn't get involved with babies (bonding that closely with my boys is, far and away, the best thing I've done in my life - for them and me) - but I did have a battle to be thought of as a competent parent!
Men do have quite a specific track record with babies. And there are plenty of hilarious jokes about men vs. baby poop. :p
I'm glad my husband didn't have to go through that battle. At least, not with my family. My family are big advocators of independence and self-reliability. My mom also tells me she's already paid her diaper dues and it's our turn now. :D

Chuffed!

Unfortunately, it's a feeling I know quite well. In the end, I just have to use the serenity prayer to provide some relief. Every time I feel as if I'm being treated like a 38 year old child, I simply recite the following to myself, "God grant me the serenity to accept the things that I cannot change; the courage to change the things that I can; and the wisdom to know the difference." I cannot change the way I am being treated so why agonize over it anymore? I know who I am, I know I'm not a child.

New Threads

Top Bottom