• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Looking for input on creative choice

Catherine Read

I’ve been asked to paint the wall of a facility that helps people with a range of problems from learning disabilities to depression, specializing in autism and they want some of their walls painted. I was originally given these images for reference on the type of thing they’re looking for…

53616698584_a438399cc0_w.jpg
53616808310_b2a52ca656_n.jpg

so have gone with this design which I’ve not yet showed them (will show both versions)

53615484587_21d691bd66_w.jpg
53615484592_7b8325fd87_w.jpg

I also considered this for their reading area, as we discussed a lot of the residence like books such as Tracy Beaker and Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Went for something that hopefully has broad appeal.

53616356906_6faac91596_w.jpg

I’d appreciate any input of thoughts on the designs or on other designs that might appeal, thanks!

May I be honest? (Don't worry, no insults involved) Please don't take this badly, because it's not directed at you.

I really like the tree images because they are beautiful. They are straightforward and the message comes across as honest. The idea of hands is clever, but lost on me (more on this in a moment), though they are highly pleasing to the eye, so perhaps the hand imagery is triggering something positive on a subliminal level. I think any facility should be delighted with them.

OK, so onto those reference images. I really don't like them. I find the delivery of messages trite, and the whole thing dishonest. All our lives we get bombarded with saccharine messages that NTs can post on their insta and use to pat each other on the back about how accepting they are, whilst doing little to actually help. We don't need motivational images of diversity and clever slogans.

As tempting as it might be, I would avoid any "hey yeah, we're all in this together" metaphors, because for most NDs it really doesn't feel like we're all in this together, and they'll view them as aimed as NTs to make them feel good about themselves.

Your tree images are perfect. Beautiful, calming and with a subtle message.

Perspective and context here: Is the painting to be more of a logo or something that will be primarily for the facility, OR, do you want this to be for the clients that come into the facility? There's a difference.

A business may want something they can put on their letterhead or website, something recognizable to the public. Images like the first few you posted.

The people walking into the facility just want to feel better within a supportive, calming, personal, positive environment. The imagery and quotes more like the boy and horse you posted.

If I was in such a mental state where I needed help just making it through the day, I would want the later, not something that could be interpreted as a corporate logo.

Thanks for the input, I did want to avoid doing something too much on the nose (like their reference - which I agree does seem a bit corporate and impersonal) and something that comes across more like a helping hand I guess.

Their logo is "people caring for people" so added it but could do a version without.

It's for the wall ahead of the entrance, so trying to come up with something that's inviting and comforting. The boy image for the reading area I'm thinking. They may also want art throughout the place so it's not plain walls everywhere. Have liked the input from you both, thanks!

Last edited:
Personally, I would avoid anything with puzzle pieces as Autism Speaks has ruined that for me.

The rainbow infinity symbol is something I like a lot better.

The hands next to each other are my favorite. I think the font on "bravest thing you've ever done" image is a little hard to read.

I like your designs a lot more than the sample images you were given. Personally I like the more natural green and brown look rather than the rainbow effect but I think that would really depend on surrounding buildings and their aesthetics.

I'm also glad you didn't include any of the puzzle piece concepts in your design. I'm not from the US and know nothing about Autism Speaks but I hated those designs from the very moment I laid eyes on them.

1711646808069.png

I like this one, but it is difficult to read.

1711646872673.png

I prefer the green tree to the rainbow one. I think rainbow colors can be nice, but also overwhelming. The different shades of green are soothing and also give the intended message of being inclusive.

The "people caring for people font" is also a bit difficult to read.

I see that we the people are the green hand-leaves, but I wonder who the trunk hand belongs to.

It's always been weird to me that we were given the puzzle piece(s) for logos or such. In my experience, it's everyone else "not autistic" that turn out to be so much more puzzling, cryptic and hard to figure out.

uruk hai banner.jpg

The disembodied arm/hand reminds me of the Uruk-Hai design, which I always really liked.

But realistically I would say whatever makes them happy, happy, happy so you get paid. This is a paying gig right?

So I would give them the options and let them decide. Maybe one safe, one your own creative and one really out there, like a version of Guernica, but people helping people instead of people blowing up people.

;)

The disembodied arm/hand reminds me of the Uruk-Hai design, which I always really liked.
The very first thing it made me think of is Aboriginal cave art. Hands are a very common theme in their art.

c9a13349ce9ff8d6139b44a0cfdb5153.jpg

I’ve been asked to paint the wall of a facility that helps people with a range of problems from learning disabilities to depression, specializing in autism and they want some of their walls painted. I was originally given these images for reference on the type of thing they’re looking for…

53616698584_a438399cc0_w.jpg
53616808310_b2a52ca656_n.jpg

so have gone with this design which I’ve not yet showed them (will show both versions)

53615484587_21d691bd66_w.jpg
53615484592_7b8325fd87_w.jpg

I also considered this for their reading area, as we discussed a lot of the residence like books such as Tracy Beaker and Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Went for something that hopefully has broad appeal.

53616356906_6faac91596_w.jpg

I’d appreciate any input of thoughts on the designs or on other designs that might appeal, thanks!
Second one. I like the colours😍😍

New Threads

Top Bottom