• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Looking for a new special interest or at least something to get invested in

Ya Boi

I've been looking for a new series to get into and have it potentially turn into a special interest, but I'm having a hard time finding one.

I'm looking for something in the sci-fi or fantasy genres that focuses heavily on war and or action. The more lore it has the better. I normally prefer reading manga or comics, though I'm also ok with anime, cartoons, and TV shows. Though I'm not too big on reading normal books.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

The first thing that comes to mind is 'The Expanse' series. Super well done Sci-Fi and a lot of action/fighting, particularly as the series develops. I think it was 5 seasons. Super bummed when it ended.

I assume based on that taste you've probably read the ones like Gundam The Origin and seen/read LOTGH. There's a new dougram manga being made currently though I don't believe it's translated. The old anime is very worth watching but would understand if it's a bit of a barrier. It's definitely dated and probably requires some bonus passion for robots and animation in general.
However, it's easily accessible on youtube! (The first episode is more of a proof of concept Pilot, skip to episode 2 if you want. I just picked it for the legendary opening shot.)

If you want heavy-duty lore and worldbuilding, I recommend the Cosmere books by Brandon Sanderson. Here's a little overview: Cosmere Reading Order: How to read Brandon Sanderson's Book Series? - How To Read Me.

The Cosmere consists of multiple series' of books taking place in a connected universe. Each world in that universe has its own system of magic. Sanderson will outline the rules for the magical system and then never break them - instead he surprises you with implications of the rules that you didn't see coming.

There is a website, the Coppermind, dedicated to documenting all the magical systems, worlds, characters, etc., and contains details not in the books, but which Sanderson has disclosed at book signings and other events, or which fans have sussed out. Beware of visiting the Coppermind if you haven't read the books though - it contains spoilers.

Caveat lector: Once you delve into the Cosmere, you're in for hundreds of hours of reading.

Last edited:
I have recently become enamoured of Asian Sci-FI, Horror, and Fantasy TV series as well as film. As I have been something of a TV and Film 'Freak' all the way back to six-years-old, I have searched out and found many things that were obscure and hard to find as well as I have an extended DVD and Blu-Ray collection.

I am not sure I can recommend a series that hits everything you listed, so I will only list personal Sci-Fi TV Series that are favourites of mine.

Legion - very strange show that is difficult for me to categorize as it touches on so many things and it puts you into the head space of one truly strange individual. I wished it had more than the three-seasons it ran on FOX. I guess it was just too weird for the general TV audience

Westworld - a 3-season series based on the film of long ago.

Firefly - A Sci-Fi Western of sorts from Josh Whedon. It had a follow up film that got made against all odds which somewhat wraps up the series (also worth a look).

The Umbrella Academy - Group of young orphans band together, somewhat, to prevent the end of the world.

Black Mirror - A Science Fiction Anthology series set in a high-tech future.

Eureka - Five Seasons of Sci-Fi Strangeness.

I could go on and on, but without a lot to go on from your post, I hesitate to continue at this time. You may already be familiar with some or all of these, but if you are not, I believe they are worth checking out.

If you want heavy-duty lore and worldbuilding, I recommend the Cosmere books by Brandon Sanderson. Here's a little overview: Cosmere Reading Order: How to read Brandon Sanderson's Book Series? - How To Read Me.

The Cosmere consists of multiple series' of books taking place in a connected universe. Each world in that universe has its own system of magic. Sanderson will outline the rules for the magical system and then never break them - instead he surprises you with implications of the rules that you didn't see coming.

There is a website, the Coppermind, dedicated to documenting all the magical systems, worlds, characters, etc., and contains details not in the books, but which Sanderson has disclosed at book signings and other events, or which fans have sussed out. Beware of visiting the Coppermind if you haven't read the books though - it contains spoilers.

Caveat lector: Once you delve into the Cosmere, you're in for hundreds of hours of reading.
Although, having read Brandon Sanderson writing about writing about magic, I was keen to read his work, but super disappointed with it now, compared to how he writes about writing. .. it's like he's recounting a virtual game, the characters fight and move on. Who cares?

Firefly - A Sci-Fi Western of sorts from Josh Whedon. It had a follow up film that got made against all odds which somewhat wraps up the series (also worth a look).

Eureka - Five Seasons of Sci-Fi Strangeness.

A second vote from me for those two. In additions to Eureka, there's also Warehouse 13. I have watched Firefly, Eureka, and Warehouse 13 several times. I wait a few years until the individual episodes fade from memory, then re-watch them.

Here are a few others:

Battlestar Galactica: Tells a great story from start to finish. There was never a point where you felt like the writers were lost or just making stuff up to fill time.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Lots of fighting, lots of characters to become attached to, and some great humor. I know that Buffy is closely associated with Joss Whedon, and Whedon is a poison pill now, but Buffy wasn't 100% his doing. I watch Buffy now and credit the writers, actors, special effects artists, cameramen, and all the rest of the crew that it takes to make a great series.

If you like cartoons / anime, Avatar, the Last Airbender and Legend of Korra are very well made.

Other possible SF reading is anything by David Brin. He has written some very good books - the Uplift series, Earth, the Heart of the Comet, Existence, Kiln People. Those last four tell very large stories with multiple plot threads happening simultaneously. The only book of his that I didn't like was the only one they made into a movie - the Postman.

I love Buffy, Firefly, and Avatar. (Best animated series on the planet bar none.) Mysterious Cities of Gold (vintage 1981 -1982) is a time warp mess of wackiness. Stargate SG1 and Stargate Atlantis are also good.

Harry Dresden Files. It's a book series. Usually I have the how are you still alive?!! After reading it.

Swat Kat's. Old Cartoon. Lots of action.

A second vote from me for those two. In additions to Eureka, there's also Warehouse 13. I have watched Firefly, Eureka, and Warehouse 13 several times. I wait a few years until the individual episodes fade from memory, then re-watch them.

Here are a few others:

Battlestar Galactica: Tells a great story from start to finish. There was never a point where you felt like the writers were lost or just making stuff up to fill time.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Lots of fighting, lots of characters to become attached to, and some great humor. I know that Buffy is closely associated with Joss Whedon, and Whedon is a poison pill now, but Buffy wasn't 100% his doing. I watch Buffy now and credit the writers, actors, special effects artists, cameramen, and all the rest of the crew that it takes to make a great series.

If you like cartoons / anime, Avatar, the Last Airbender and Legend of Korra are very well made.

Other possible SF reading is anything by David Brin. He has written some very good books - the Uplift series, Earth, the Heart of the Comet, Existence, Kiln People. Those last four tell very large stories with multiple plot threads happening simultaneously. The only book of his that I didn't like was the only one they made into a movie - the Postman.

I've been meaning to get into Battlestar Galactica, but I can't find any way to watch the original series without buying the DVDs and a DVD player.

I've been meaning to get into Battlestar Galactica, but I can't find any way to watch the original series without buying the DVDs and a DVD player.

It was free on Amazon Prime when I watched it, but then they cut it off and I had to buy the last season to see it.

Seconding LOTGH. I became obsessed with it for a short period of time, amazing characters. And also Tower of God and Berserk

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom