• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"Literally" doesn't mean literally any more

Misty Avich

I prefer to be referred to as ADHD
V.I.P Member
A pregnant woman I know said "I literally haven't eaten for months." I knew what she really meant was "I haven't had an appetite for months", and yes I do understand double meanings and all that (she had eaten of course, as I'd seen her many times eating), but the weird thing is the way we as humans now use the word "literally" to make it as far away from literal as possible. I mean if you really had not eaten in months, how would you get people to actually take you seriously, as saying "literally" would probably make them take you seriously even less?
Is there an alternative word to use that won't be taken in a non-literal sense?

Last edited:
The word 'literally' is used casually as an intensifier.

A couple alternatives to: "I literally haven't eaten for months."

I have barely eaten...
I have hardly eaten...

A lot of people in my life have called me a grammar-nazi. I mean, I recall spending an intense 12 years in school and then 5 in college where everything about English was required to be precisely accurate. In full. No exceptions. So, I take pride in having learned the discipline of the language along with the discipline of the jobs that such an education specifically only allow a person to hold...or at least that's how it used to be. These days, I see headlines, entire articles, the bottom tickers on major news channels...just so, so many things misspelled and making me cringe a bit. Every instance of someone telling me that it's not a big deal is someone making me feel like that movie Idiocracy is slowly becoming true. It is a big deal. Quit being wrong...or worse...dumb. Words have power, and sometimes the power comes from being wrong, stupid and then some, even saying something that starts violence and then sometimes starting wars.

I'll share an example with you of my own per pet peeves: People wrongly use the word "deserve" way too often. They will say that they deserve better or more or grandiose whatever. They'll also say that they don't deserve whatever it is that they don't like and are dealing with. In reality, the word they should be using is "entitled." They feel entitled to whatever. People get what they deserve when they have absolutely put in the work to earn it. People also, more often than not, get whatever negative thing they deserve because they did absolutely no work at all to prevent it. Yes, there are random reasons that folks still do or don't get what they deserve (good or bad - due to outside circumstances/others), but most of the time it's entirely on a person alone.

If we also want to talk about secondary or adjective forms of words, that's opening up how English allows for that more than any other language, ever. It's strange but true. Odder, still, is that per the current social climate and in regards to corporate environments....a person has to absolutely 100% never get pronouns wrong and use them correctly....and then also better not use certain adjectives. Well, the best way to truly have a workforce of folks that know what they're talking about and never make these mistakes...is to be as particularly precise about English as I am.

You are touching an interesting topic here @Misty Avich - how we are some people who take words and phrases literal (in the original meaning of the word) leading to misunderstandings and confusion, and the other topic is how words change meaning over time - since we speak Danish where I live, examples are hard to share in an English forum - but we have words in Danish where my generation uses them with the opposite meaning of the younger generations - I assume the same is happening in English.

Such words are used as a substitute for "flavoring particles" that the English language inherently lacks.

Or would you prefer a salty expletive instead? The kind that this forum is programmed to filter out.

"Hell, I haven't had a bloody appetite in months!" Oops.... that offends people as well.

Last edited:
@Judge , I don't get what you are trying to say, if you are referering to what I wrote, I was thinking about the danish word "forfordele" that to some means to get less than you are entitled to, an to others mean to get more than you are entitled to which can lead to confusion... but is in no way a word the needs filtering :)

@Judge , I don't get what you are trying to say, if you are referering to what I wrote, I was thinking about the danish word "forfordele" that to some means to get less than you are entitled to, an to others mean to get more than you are entitled to which can lead to confusion... but is in no way a word the needs filtering :)

Flavoring particles are a linguistic way of emphasizing something beyond its basic description. Something that English lacks (in a formal sense).

LOL...small wonder we swear a lot to get around this issue. Literally, dude! :oops:

Auf Deutsch, "Denn so, schnell!" Verstanden? (Sorry, I don't speak or know much about the Danish language.)

Last edited:
This reminds me of how awful used to mean full of awe. So if something was amazing, you'd say it was awful.

"I think this sculpture is awful" was a compliment

Flavoring particles are a linguistic way of emphasizing something beyond its basic description. Something that English lacks (in a formal sense).

LOL...small wonder we swear a lot to get around this issue. Literally, dude! :oops:

Auf Deutsch, "Denn so, schnell!" Verstanden? (Sorry, I don't speak or know much about the Danish language.)

Thank you for clarifying :)

Changed the title and reworded a few words in my post. Hopefully that will help some people understand that I'm not complaining or worrying about it or anything, I'm just making conversation, as I do enjoy writing and words, surely it's allowed to have a discussion on language.
It's an interest of mine.

Slang words are introduced and do tend to evolve languages exponentially more than educated scholars revise or introduce new terminology in any official capacity. It's because of larger and larger groups of uneducated people using a language while having no clue that specific terminology already exists for what they want to express/say. So, they create their own "lingo" to put in place. Sometimes these terms take off becoming trendy, popular and ultimately commonplace beyond just their little group - it goes mainstream, essentially. Slang. It's absolutely a language evolution born of ignorance, and as history shows, we've just been okay with it after so long...or we weren't, and so those terms are not spoken/heard anymore at all....i.e. they don't appear in any dictionaries.

The reality is, yes, I have to just deal with it. We apparently all have to because the consensus isn't to be or do better. It's still ignorant and is insulting and annoying here and there for me, though, especially considering who winds up with a job where communicating highly important information, can't communicate properly to the rest of us. It's still quite stupid and dangerous sometimes, depending on whom you are communicating to. It can even lead to ignorance for future generations to believe, hold or cling to as any kind of meaningful occurrences. Communication needs to be precise or at the very least, precisely intended.

Prime example: I'm sure you've all heard the oft-repeated story of Marie Antoinette and that she reportedly said, "let them eat cake." And that's not the truth. It is not just a misinterpretation but a misreported (so called) historical "fact" of the account, as well as being not exactly anyone's best use of language that they would even think to say in the situation to begin with. Look it up. The real facts exist. After reading it all, think about if you've ever used this phrase, what you thought it was to all mean and if you did so for rather defense of your stance or actions....and now, realizing that you were completely ignorant and wrong. Think about what any ignorant words or actions anyone has ever done with this story inspiring their idiocy and such...and that if they just simply were educated and accurate instead, it'd have not ever happened. Ignorance of just a single word can create domino effects in communication overall that sometimes we can't undo, so I contend, the very least we should do...is care to not be ignorant.

New Threads

Top Bottom