• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Job Interview

Tictactoe

So for the last 10 years I've been working with my father doing something I don't particularly enjoy.

Last year I decided to make a change and went on a HGV driving course because I enjoy driving, and don't mind working alone for extended periods. Driving trucks for a living sounds great to me.

I passed the course and gained my license last month.

I went for my first job interview on Wednesday

Within the first minute of the interview one of the two interviewers said something about 'facial expressions'. I can't remember what he said exactly but he obviously picked up on my atypical facial expressions very quickly.
The interview lasted around 20-30 minutes. He also said during the interview "we can teach how to do the job but we can't teach how to have a good attitude"
I'm thinking my communication style gives off the impression that I have a bad attitude, when in reality I just want a job I can devote myself to and carry out that job to a good standard.

I'm still waiting to hear from them for their decision, but based on the comments he made, I haven't got much hope.

Can anyone give any tips or advice? I'm going to continue to apply for other jobs and also try agencies.

There's also the fact that new truck drivers with no experience have a difficult time finding work as the majority of companies will only employ drivers with at least 1 or even 2 years experience.

A lot of people get their first job interview wrong. I can't tell from your post of course, but I suggest you use that as a starting point for figuring this out.

They want you to demonstrate (a) that you are capable of doing the the job they're offering, and (b) that you are personally motivated to take the job seriously.

(a) is not proven solely by holding the license, because the driving part isn't the entire job.
They can't make decisions just by asking specifically about (b) because everyone lies about that.

Test what happened against those two points, and see if it helps.

BTW I know I didn't cover your "hint".
It's not because I don't believe you think it's important. It's because I don't think you have the experience to know what was important.
Perhaps we'll come back to it later.

one of the two interviewers said something about 'facial expressions'.
Do you remember exactly what was said? That seems like a surprising thing for an interviewer to bring up. Can you provide some context?

"we can teach how to do the job but we can't teach how to have a good attitude"
This could be a general statement made during an interviewing process. In your view, were you demonstrating a good attitude during the interview?

Some of this stuff just takes practice and although this experience may not have gone how you wished, it's good to get a chance to practice. Doing what you are doing now - looking back on it and trying to learn from it is a great idea. Hopefully, you get a variety of useful comments here so that you can keep your confidence up and try again.

I think two key things to demonstrate during an interview are confidence (comes with practice and truly believing in your worth and sometimes a bit of pretending) and calmness (try to tackle the anxiety an interview can cause before you go into it). But, interviews seem to be tough for most people. They are just not a really comfortable situation and it is very common to have to go through quite a few before you get a job.

A lot of people get their first job interview wrong. I can't tell from your post of course, but I suggest you use that as a starting point for figuring this out.

They want you to demonstrate (a) that you are capable of doing the the job they're offering, and (b) that you are personally motivated to take the job seriously.

(a) is not proven solely by holding the license, because the driving part isn't the entire job.
They can't make decisions just by asking specifically about (b) because everyone lies about that.

Test what happened against those two points, and see if it helps.

BTW I know I didn't cover your "hint".
It's not because I don't believe you think it's important. It's because I don't think you have the experience to know what was important.
Perhaps we'll come back to it later.
I think a problem I have is that I struggle to make a good impression, it's my lack of charisma I feel.

I can't remember. It was just a short comment about facial expressions.
Interesting. I had an internship supervisor say something about my facial expressions one time. I think in my case, it was that I was trying too hard and she found my expressions "odd." She actually didn't tell me this, but wrote it in a report after I was dismissed from that internship.

Anyway, just wanted to offer some understanding that it can be frustrating to feel like we have been perceived in the wrong way. But, keep at it. I think you'll find a good fit if you can be patient and persistent. Good luck!

My partner, l dragged in for coaching. The interview coach told him to smile more and bring more energy to the interview, inject some life into his answers. If you are in a truck, who is going to see you? That seems totally ridiculous. Maybe smile more, that puts others at ease. Did you answer his questions nicely, or do you think your tone of your voice may have come off wrong? He could just be a jerk, who knows. Keep applying, or move to Florida, there are busloads of trucking jobs here, as we have a major port here, so l see thousands of trucks now. But l am reading that there is more crime, and sadly truck drivers need to worry about their truck being hijacked or their physical safety these days on the road.

My partner, l dragged in for coaching. The interview coach told him to smile more and bring more energy to the interview, inject some life into his answers. If you are in a truck, who is going to see you? That seems totally ridiculous. Maybe smile more, that puts others at ease. Did you answer his questions nicely, or do you think your tone of your voice may have come off wrong? He could just be a jerk, who knows. Keep applying, or move to Florida, there are busloads of trucking jobs here, as we have a major port here, so l see thousands of trucks now. But l am reading that there is more crime, and sadly truck drivers need to worry about their truck being hijacked or their physical safety these days on the road.
I did smile and laugh quite a few times during the interview.
I found it difficult to answer some of the questions they gave me.

Like they would ask "Why do you want this job?" I wanted to say "To earn a decent living doing something I enjoy" But I ended up overthinking it and just said "To give me purpose"
I remember having to pause for a few seconds just trying to think of a suitable answer that they want to hear.

I think a problem I have is that I struggle to make a good impression, it's my lack of charisma I feel.

I found it difficult to answer some of the questions they gave me.
This is something you can work on.

"To give me purpose"
This is potentially enough to get you rejected.

It demonstrates you haven't prepared for the interview, which has several interesting implications. One is that you didn't respect the time of the people who interviewed you. They didn't want to tell you that (possibly can't in these strange times), but they gave you some good advice.

These are beginner errors. You can fix this. But you need to look inwards first.

Like they would ask "Why do you want this job?" I wanted to say "To earn a decent living doing something I enjoy" But I ended up overthinking it and just said "To give me purpose"
I remember having to pause for a few seconds just trying to think of a suitable answer that they want to hear.
Should have gone with your instincts here. The first answer was great.

This is potentially enough to get you rejected.

It demonstrates you haven't prepared for the interview, which has several interesting implications. One is that you didn't respect the time of the people who interviewed you. They didn't want to tell you that (possibly can't in these strange times), but they gave you some good advice.

These are beginner errors. You can fix this.

I did attempt to prepare for the interview

I was expecting lots of HGV related questions so I revised everything I thought I needed to know for a few days before the interview

What actually happened was, they didn't ask me any HGV related questions to test my knowledge of what I thought was required for the job.

I also had a driving assessment after the interview too

Truck drivers have to interact with other people when they pick up and deliver loads. Try to project a friendly demeanor which I'm sure you can do with some practice. The trucking company probably considers their drivers to be representatives of the company so having a friendly attitude and demeanor are important to them.

So I don't work in this field, not any advice I can offer about truck driving, but I have been in the position of the hiring manager - so I have been the one doing the interview. Not a lot, but a few times when my work unit did not have a functioning manager.

I can definitely tell you that they are looking at how prepared you come to the interview, and they are trying to determine how well you are going to fit in at this position. That totally depends on how much time you are going to spend facing either the public or coworkers. When I did interviews for our medical office, I was looking at how they dressed (clean appropriate, clean hair/face/hands etc.), and I was looking at how they interacted. I'm sorry to say that I did turn down a few people at times because they either rambled when answering my questions, or they did not appear to be present, like they didn't seem to know why they were there. I do understand nervousness (because I have anxiety, so I get it) but what helps in that situation is self-awareness.

I think this can help too: that person doing the interview wants you to be the right candidate. Doing interviews sucks. It's time-consuming. They want to fill that open position. Go online and look up the most common interview questions. Be prepared for what they will probably ask you. Then work on being present in the conversation.

Good luck

It might work in your favor to say next time, "this is my first job interview, so I'm really sorry about being nervous."

I echo the other poster about being honest. Also practice "delay" tactics - like - "Give me a minute to come up with the right words" "I'm sorry, this is my first trucking job, my mind is buzzing, give me a moment" "Oh, that's a great question, let me think of the best answer" etc.

Also if you have any friends or family, especially trucker friends or family, have them practice interviewing you.

That being said, it is absolutely 100% unprofessional to comment on your facial expression in an interview, and I'm inclined to think it is a good thing for you that you didn't get a job with these guys.

Oh! My facial expressions are different because I am on the autism sprectrum.

On the other hand, people on the autism spectrum are very loyal workers that follow the rules.

If you can afford giving me a trial period, you will be surprised. You can ask for references about me to this people.

That may be also worth trying.

What people suppose based on your body language may be much worst than being autist.

The interviewer was trying to be as helpful as possible given the circumstances.

They shared what they could, which would include first impressions, preparation, content, and a brief but reasonably accurate summary of why they didn't hire OP.

What they did was certainly limited by the fact that they don't went to be sued. No professional in an anglophone country can afford to trust any prospective employee. It's difficult enough even with an employment contract in place.

So they couldn't be direct even if they had time to do more.

Last edited:
As a new person for any job they want to start, look for something to volunteer at once in awhile like a convention or a clean up. Prospective employers like to see others stand out, and this could be one way to help you positively stand out. Have something that others might not be doing, no matter how small.

New Threads

Top Bottom