• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

It took 20 years for me to find out that I have milder symptoms of Intellectual Disability

Oz67

I asked here what Unspecified Intellectual Disability means. At first, I thought I am only bad at academics and had severe communication delays, but as an adult, I found out that I have severe problems with learning from experience, problem solving and milder problems with adaptive functioning, and especially from looking through my IEP and medical records.

My symptoms of Intellectual Disability is so mild, that it took 20 years for me to find out about my symptoms of Intellectual Disability. I am 21 years old now.

My IQ can very, but historically, it was very low for my age.

I only meet 6 out of 9 symptoms of Intellectual Disability.

I can reason most of the time, and I can make logical arguments.

IQs are now parsed out so you can see where you excel and where you lack.

It is common that autistics have brilliance (and I mean the chart will actually say: VERY Highly Superior, etc) followed by another measure that reads: Below Average. Ouch. That is why a lot of autistics suffer so much.

Forgive the term I am about to use (it is NOT original with me and if it is to banned, mods let me know) but I have heard auties refereed to as "brilliant retards."

At least "idiot savants" where usually obviously different, but an autie who gets by well only to fail miserably in most things really is a cruel thing.

Personally, I don't think Nature is to blame, but some neurotoxin.

The way out is to stay away from toxic people at any cost. If idiots think YOU are the idiot....STAY AWAY from them. Never think you are stupid. Surround yourself in the things you excel in, knowing the lack may or may not improve. If you have ANY scales that are "Very Highly Superior" (which many auties do), it means you can work around your lacking parts. That is what VHS means.

IQs are now parsed out so you can see where you excel and where you lack.

It is common that autistics have brilliance (and I mean the chart will actually say: VERY Highly Superior, etc) followed by another measure that reads: Below Average. Ouch. That is why a lot of autistics suffer so much.

Forgive the term I am about to use (it is NOT original with me and if it is to banned, mods let me know) but I have heard auties refereed to as "brilliant retards."

At least "idiot savants" where usually obviously different, but an autie who gets by well only to fail miserably in most things really is a cruel thing.

Personally, I don't think Nature is to blame, but some neurotoxin.

The way out is to stay away from toxic people at any cost. If idiots think YOU are the idiot....STAY AWAY from them. Never think you are stupid. Surround yourself in the things you excel in, knowing the lack may or may not improve. If you have ANY scales that are "Very Highly Superior" (which many auties do), it means you can work around your lacking parts. That is what VHS means.

What does VHS mean?

I do get offended by R-word and similar words to it, but I am more open minded, because depending on the context, it can be used as a neurological term instead of a slur.

It sounds like you are mostly ok, intellectually, then. That's good. Most people are uneven, a mix of ability levels in different areas. Practical things challenge me most, but I cope. It sounds like you cope too.

It sounds like you are mostly ok, intellectually, then. That's good. Most people are uneven, a mix of ability levels in different areas. Practical things challenge me most, but I cope. It sounds like you cope too.

It's just slightly confusing, because I am intelligent, but have 6 out of 9 diagnostic criteria for Intellectual Disability.

Yes that's confusing. I suppose it could be that criteria are formulated for the neurotypical majority, and may not work as well when applied to neurologicaly different people? Our thinking processes are different. Do you find the criteria they say you meet to be correct? I mean was each criteria clearly evidenced in ways you agreed with? Maybe you are just differently intellectually able.

Yes that's confusing. I suppose it could be that criteria are formulated for the neurotypical majority, and may not work as well when applied to neurologicaly different people? Our thinking processes are different. Do you find the criteria they say you meet to be correct? I mean was each criteria clearly evidenced in ways you agreed with? Maybe you are just differently intellectually able.

I only have severe problems with social-emotional respiratory, learning from experience, academics, problem solving and milder problems with adaptive functioning.

I can reason and make right judgments most of the time, but I sometimes have difficulties making the right judgments. I did have severe communication delays in the past.

I only meet 6 out of 9 diagnostic criteria for Intellectual Disability. Doing IQ tests on me is not accurate, as I am capable of learning, but 20 times slower than most of my peers.

New Threads

Top Bottom