• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is racism a symptom of psychopathy...

I'm not racist, but past experience has taught me that I just don't tend to get on with black people, especially if they speak poor English! For example about 35 years ago when I was 5 I met the first black person in my life at school, I called her "Chocolate legs", because I'd never seen anyone black, and she called me the "Milky Bar Kid", not racially motivated, just a bit of banter I think.

There are simply too many. It is statistically impossible for all or even most racists to be psychopaths.

Is he a hipster? (Portland is supposed to be the hipster capital in the US) ;)

I just remembered something, loosely related to the topic, when my elder sister got married the first time in 1993 I was at peak 'not being able to make eye contact with strangers' mode. It just so happened that all the guests at her wedding that I didn't already know were Black or Asian, I had trouble making eye contact with them because I didn't know them but I was panicking thinking they will think I'm racist. So I forced myself to make eye contact with them from time to time and I think I then freaked them out as it could be seen as staring. So awkward!

I've been in that situation too, though coming from the flip side of your scenario.:eek: The panic that comes with guessing what other people are thinking is horrible. That someone might be on the spectrum is the last assumption most people will jump to.

I've been told I have been arrogant, aloof, sexist, bigoted, insecure and more, right up to just plain old asshole. All the while in my head I am saying, "I sorry, I'm trying not to creep you out, I don't mean anything, I just can't look at you or talk right now because I'm stuck, everything is overwhelming. I need a little time. I know what to do, I can't do it. I'm trying not to make you uncomfortable, because I KNOW how that feels, Sorry...etc." It's so discouraging sometimes.:(

A least now many years later I know why.:D

To my mind, “Racism” is a grossly overused term in today’s society. This is how the Webster dictionary defines “racism:”

Full Definition of racism
  1. 1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2. 2 : racial prejudice or discrimination

It is a belief that generalizes all members of a certain race into one group and defines them primarily by the characteristics of that race.

Now, there’s a problem with that. There is a standard definition of “race” which goes something like this:

race
A large group of people distinguished from others on the basis of common physical characteristics, such as skin color or hair type. (Source: Boundless. “Culture, Ethnicity, and Race.” Boundless Communications.)

The question becomes, how many true “racists” are there? Those who discriminate on the basis of physical characteristics? Probably not as many as you might think.

I don’t believe many people are ignorant enough to believe that the color of a person’s skin is a determining factor of anything, except maybe his/her chances for getting a nasty sunburn. Though, personally, seeing the number of people willing to vote for Clinton or Sanders, and those who don’t even know who the Vice President is, makes me have to question my judgment there, but I disgress.

The real issue is a form of ethnocentrism, which is “judging another culture solely by the values and standards of one's own culture” (Source: Boundless. “Culture, Ethnicity, and Race.” Boundless Communications.)

Race and ethnicity are two different things.

ethnicity
Characteristics of a group of people thought to have common ancestry who share a distinctive culture. (Source: Boundless. “Culture, Ethnicity, and Race.” Boundless Communications.)

There are far more people who would be more correctly labeled “ethnocentric” rather than “racist.” This emphasis on semantics may seem like splitting hairs, but in order to address a problem, one should have a true understanding of it. Furthermore, I believe throwing the term “racist” around simply has a greater negative impact in the mainstream media than would the term “ethnocentrist.” “Racist” is a simple term, but it does not, by definition, convey the entire scope of what is going on in people’s minds.

Whether you choose to call it “racism” or “ethnocentrism,” the basis for it can be found either in upbringing or in negative interactions between people of different cultures, or both. If you have an upbringing where you are raised to be suspicious of people who are different from you, you will more likely end up having negative relations with them. This is going to reinforce your belief that these are bad people. It may only take one negative interaction to form this opinion.

If you are raised in an environment where diversity is accepted, you are less likely to be suspicious of others different from you. Therefore, your interactions will have the chance of being more positive, given the benefit of the doubt that the person with whom you are dealing is not ethnocentric him/herself.

In either case, if a particular person has too many negative encounters with a particular ethnic group, with few or no positive experiences, he/she may conclude that all people of this group behave similarly and become suspicious of them in the future, and even come to dislike or “hate” them.

I believe we could all (and I mean everybody of all ethnicities) benefit from trying to understand each others’ cultures and compromise rather than becoming defensive over who is “right” and who is “wrong.” We need to come to a consensus of culture, because multi-culturalism does not work unless people are segregated into discrete groups. You can’t have multiple cultures vying for position in one society without conflict. It is a fact that all cultures have their good points and bad points. Why not take the best of all cultures and ditch the more negative aspects in order to “standardize,” if you will, an “operating system?”

To answer the OP’s question: No, it does not necessarily indicate psychopathy.

A racist in the sense of "one race is all-round better/worse" or "every member of a race has negative/positive characteristic determined by the race" requires irrational belief, not psychopathy.

However, please note that there is extremely good empirical evidence that some races do have genetic advantages (at least amongst the best in the race) in a narrow field of application. Almost no one will talk about this because many people will misunderstand and/or turn such words against the person who utters them and the original words and meaning of the words will be drowned out by those shouting "racist".

Like most irrational beliefs those required for racism are largely impervious to arguments, be they rational or otherwise.

Furthermore, do not forget that racism under other definitions can also be totally rational and correct, for example:

I expect that if I buy a golden retriever it will have golden coloured fur, be friendly, and enjoy swimming and fetching.

Interestingly, an extremely rational person with aspergers can be very close to a psychiatrists definition of a psychopath.

Last edited:
I'm an Aspie and I deplore racism in all its forms.

Because of all the racists in the Southern Cities of North America though, aren't they all voting for Donald Trump in the Presidential Election? Sorry folks, Trump as President = won't happen, for various reasons.

Websites like Stormfront are built on both fear and jealousy rather than true psychopathy. I have lurked those forums over the years because I was curious as to what motivates racial and ethnic hatred. It is so painfully apparent how jealous they are of a certain "ethnic group" and their success.

My mother's dark skinned (Polynesian & Scandinavian) and my father's Irish. I think racism is a symptom of insecurity, and self loathing. Never experienced it first hand (real life), but I have received racist abuse online because I'm mixed race

Last edited:
I don't believe in the concept of race black or white or whatever...as we all come from the same great grandparents if you go back far enough.
I think much of the so call race conflict is actually more cultural conflict if you look more closely at it.
I could say more but it is likely unwise.:rolleyes:

My mother's dark skinned (Polynesian & Scandinavian) and my father's Irish. I think racism is a symptom of insecurity, and self loathing. Never experienced it first hand (real life), but I have received racist abuse online because I'm mixed race
From what I have seen those sorts of people sort like to abuse everyone if they can get away with it, they are just mean.

Last edited:
Racism and homphobia are both forms of abuse and self hatred putting hate on whole groups. Most racists and homophobes are disturbed, violent people and tend to be unstable. As a gay man I have experience much hatred and bullying because of my sexual orientation which I was born with, I think people hate what they fear, and they fear what they can't understand. Many homophobes I think are secretly gay and can't handle it so they overcompensate by vicious self loathing and homophobia and bullying. This is psychotic, and therefore, a form of being a psychopath.

Psychopaths don't have enough dopamine while psychotics have too much, so that is literally impossible.

I think prejudice in general has more to do with the other person. They fear what they don't understand. They lack empathy. Homophobia can be a little different though. I find most men are fine with lesbians but not gays, and most women don't care. I think this has to do with culture and enviroment. Women are brainwashed into thinking they are sexual objects. So sexual abnormalties don't scare them. Because they feel the need to understand every kind of sexual preference to be able to satisfy any type of man/woman. Men however, are taught by society that they are sexual dictators. So whatever they want sexually, they need to get. So when a straight man sees a gay man he is seeing another "sexual dictator" and his thought process is "there is another man, if he decides he wants to have sex with me, I owe it to him, because he is a man." So that is where homophobia comes in. A lot of men that marry bi women are ok with the women having other female partners but no male partners. That is because men think they take priority sexually from any other woman. But another man comes in, then there is competition.

New Threads

Top Bottom