• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is autism a meaningless term?

Is autism a meaningless term?

• Yes

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • No

Votes: 18 90.0%

• Total voters

BrokenBoy

戯言使い(Nonsense User)
I keep hearing people say autism is a meaningless term because it's like, a spectrum of different symptoms or whatever. So like, what do you guys think about this? Do you think autism is a meaningless term? Personally I'm not really sure... I'm curious too see what you guys think.

No. The real issue is that people want or expect a precise explanation of autism when at best it is inherently ambiguous on so many levels.

A "spectrum" simply means a way to classify something, or suggest that it can be classified, in terms of its position on a scale between two extreme or opposite points. Yet in the middle of those two or opposite points can be a multitude of traits and behaviors, all at very different amplitudes. Where one might excel in one area, and fail in another.

I think too many people want this to describe autism as a uniform, linear process when it simply isn't possible.

The spectrum of autism reflects how someone might be described as "low functioning", yet potentially have the ability to excel in one or more particular areas. Or how those considered "high functioning" any have any number of intellectually compartmentalized deficits. With all our traits and behaviors operating at different levels plus or minus. Those "amplitudes" I spoke of above.

The world is full of ambiguities. But that in itself doesn't render them meaningless.

Last edited:
For once I agree with @Judge, only just this once though :D

Some people's views of Autism need to be challenged IMO, some people still think anyone who isn't in perfect mental health is obviously the R word (retarded) or worse! I've been called that and stuff I doubt the Mods would thank me for mentioning on various online fora before now.

"if something can mean anything, it ultimately means nothing"

I think autism and its various forms can be defined to a decent extent if not completely. it could be that autism needs to be further defined or the person thinking this needs to do more research.

If "autism" and it's derivatives are meaningless words then so is "dog".
Mankind has spent the last 10,000 years or so selectively breeding (genetically modifying) wolves into being an immense variety of shapes, sizes and temperaments. A Chihuahua and a Jack Russell are accepted as just as much a dog as a Rottweiler or a Great Dane (Rooby, Rooby Rooooooo!)
But they look different, they act different, they have different health issues and need different care - even their lifespans vary! Yet they're all dogs. A Shitzu can impregnate a Red Setter and vice versa - we end up with a "Bassett's Allsorts" beastie, but it's still a bleedin' dog!!!!
If we can accept that all those breeds are still all dogs and that Catholics, Presbyterians, Mormons and Baptists are all varieties of Christians who worship the same God in different ways, why can't we accept that Autism also covers a spectrum of mental architecture that has a number of, but not completely similar qualities?

If it were meaningless then my life would be very confusing!

"I'm autistic."

"So you have... uh, what, three arms?"

"No, autistic."

"Are you hungry?"

"No, I have autism."

"Is that like Bipolar?"

"No, Asperger's."

"I don't understand."

"Autism Spectrum Disorder?"

"These words have no meaning. Do you have a cold?"

Most people don't understand what Autism is, so the term means very little to them. Most people think it has something to do with behavior. They probably only know that because of a severely autistic kid they remember from school or their neighborhood. Even when you have someone's attention, it is hard to get them to understand what happens to you when you are Autistic. We seem "normal", so they can't begin to grasp Autism without some kind of neuroscience degree. Even then, they have trouble understanding the difficulties that go along with Autism. The term "Autism" has meaning, but it is broad and it is often misunderstood. It would be interesting to film responses on the street to the question "What is Autism"? The gross amount of ignorance would be very comical.

I don't believe Autism is a meaningless term, rather it is very misunderstood and still often defined in antiquated, outmoded terms. Sadly, it amazes me how many professionals still believe that someone with Autism should behave like Raymond from "Rain Man." As long as outmoded beliefs like this still exist, it is hard to imagine any progress being made towards helping people on the spectrum overcome their deficits. In order to learn, grow and develop, one must simply be able to admit that their initial observations and beliefs were wrong to begin with.

I don't believe Autism is a meaningless term, rather it is very misunderstood and still often defined in antiquated, outmoded terms. Sadly, it amazes me how many professionals still believe that someone with Autism should behave like Raymond from "Rain Man." As long as outmoded beliefs like this still exist, it is hard to imagine any progress being made towards helping people on the spectrum overcome their deficits. In order to learn, grow and develop, one must simply be able to admit that their initial observations and beliefs were wrong to begin with.

That's exactly why so many people like myself, other YouTubers, writers and campaigners are giving up our free time to get that message across. We'll get there one day :)

I wouldn't say that it's meaningless but I don't like the word. Aut from auto, meaning "self", self-ism.. Selfishness.. referring to the total lack of empathy we have. O_O
Yeah, really nice. -_-
If any NTs actually thought about it it would give a false impression of what we're like. I don't suppose they actually do think about things in such detail, luckily.

It's a difficult thing to understand because of the extremes. There are some who just come off as quirky or eccentric. Then there others who come off as disabled.

The tendency of thought is probably the ones who appear quirky are just that because they don't have any visible disability.

Likewise those who appear disabled are thought to be incompetent and incapable of being intellectual, critical thinking and so on.

Autism is deceptive in a way because the appearance of someone who has it can be contrary to how they are affected by it.

Personally I like labels.
*** As long as they are correct!***They help me easily understand many things. They also help explain many things that I dont want to be the one to educate the person who is asking me!

No, it's not meaningless. It's an umbrella term used to describe a range of different characteristics but with common attributes, just as the term 'fruit' is an umbrella term for apples, bananas, oranges, etc. What is meaningless, though, it to lump us together under one stereotype and not allow for individual variation and personality.

Definitely not meaningless. I have a severely autistic son and I am autistic as well. The things we go through have great meaning to me.
People who think it's meaningless just don't understand.

New Threads

Top Bottom