• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Intrusive Thoughts?

Re: Does anyone else suffer with intrusive thoughts?

unfortunately, yes, I know exactly what you mean. It came on for me after a lot of stress/ paranoia, I began seeing things in my head that weren't real, but that I saw myself doing. An example is using a knife when feeling worked up/ dissacoiated, I see an image in my mind, of me using the knife to harm myself. I don't actually do it, but I still vividly picture the action. I also have it around people, like when I was in the pub I had this extremely loud drunkard shouting at a TV, and in my mind I saw myself picking up my beer glass and throwing it at his head. The thought/ picture went round over and over in my head until I had to put the glass three feet away from me because I was so sure I would throw it at him. There are other weird examples but they aren't appropriate for typing here. Basic answer, they can be controlled if you just learn to let them pass through your head and pay no attention to them, you won't do the action if you don't let yourself THINK about doing it

Wow! My intrusive thoughts seem pretty lame/tame compared to some I have just read.... I usually just beat myself up mentally with all the stupid stuff I've done all my life. I go all the way back to 2nd grade! That was a long, long time ago. I can't stop thinking about all the different things (not stupid) that I could have done instead. Sometimes I can make them stop, depending on how stupid or awful they were. Sometimes I 'have' to let them play out.

Wow! Thanks for giving me some understanding about that. It does feel like Tourette's. great to know I'm not alone on that one!

I remind myself to think positive thoughts, even when something bad is going on. I think if you think refreshing and happy things, even when something bad in life is happening, (like the school shooting in Conneticut), it can remind us all that life is about living your best, and not about getting depressed. Even when there's crappy events and people in this world. God is real, and he reminds me to think positively.

I just saw the signature @music.forlife7 I love sloths LOL!

I get intrusive thoughts. Not as much as I used to, before I realized that I can control them. As a kid I used to have some pretty sick thoughts. It was always really disturbing scenarios that I knew were wrong and would absolutely never carry out, and it bothered me so much I'd start crying when they wouldn't go away.

A handful of years ago I finally found something that helped clear my mind. I imagine I'm walking on a balance beam, with no option of falling off either side and therefore no need to think about anything but the thin line I'm trying to walk.

I also just noticed something, the post starter is called ''withnail88''. I'm wondering if that's a reference to the film ''withnail and I''? Great film if so! Quote, ''I DEMAND TO HAVE SOME BOOZE!'':D

I have mental flashes where I cut my finger on a can lid bad (happened several months ago) and also where I cut my ankle with a razor (hasn't happened in YEARS). The images are very real (I can almost feel the associated pain), and it's very hard to block out the images. I usually have to imagine for example, my ankle encased in a foot thick case of metal, or the razors turning into flowers or just try and think of something else altogether. It bugs the crap out of me and my family thinks it's kind of funny how I cringe around can lids. But I get a slight sick feeling in my stomach whenever I'm around open can lids. I wish I could erase that part of my brain. It aggravates me.

New Threads

Top Bottom