• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Interests from childhood that you never really got over

hmmmm my childhood obessessions and Still are now lol... are... Sylvanian families - massive collection, soft toys, arts and crafts (make cards) and disney... my room is full of toys. but i act young so i dont care anymore! :)

As a child (1970s) I had an interest in yachts in the 1980s I lost interest in boats and got interested automotive aerodynamics.
Now it's multihulls and cars. I am designing a 6.4 metre trimaran that I hope to build at some stage. I plan to build a model to
clear up some details

Warwick

History, and the space program. 'Course, now the space program is history, so the two kinda gel together. :)

Me too. While my boyhood friends worshipped Superman, Batman and James Bond it was always the seven same superheroes for me:

Alan Shephard
Gus Grissom
John Glenn
Scott Carpenter
Wally Schirra
Gordon Cooper
Deke Slayton

I would have taken any of them over someone wearing a mask or a cape any time. I know you would as well. ;)

It helped that one of these men was my father's best friend at the Naval Academy.

Me too. While my boyhood friends worshipped Superman, Batman and James Bond it was always the seven same superheroes for me:

Alan Shephard
Gus Grissom
John Glenn
Scott Carpenter
Wally Schirra
Gordon Cooper
Deke Slayton

I would have taken any of them over someone wearing a mask or a cape any time. I know you would as well. ;)

It helped that one of these men was my father's best friend at the Naval Academy.

Yep. Would definitely take any of the above over Spider-Man, Superman, Batman, etc. :) So which of the Navy guys (Carpenter, Shepard, or Schirra) was your dad's friend? (My inquiring mind wants to know.) :)

In the movie The Right Stuff, Yeager had it right (watching Grissom getting pulled out of the water even as his capsule sank):

"You think a monkey knows he's sitting on top of a rocket that might explode? These astronaut boys, they know that, see? I'll tell ya something. It takes a special kinda man to volunteer for a suicide mission, especially when it's on TV! Old Gus, he did all right!" (Yes, I know this movie a little too well!) ;)

Last edited:
Yep. Would definitely take any of the above over Spider-Man, Superman, Batman, etc. :) So which of the Navy guys (Carpenter, Shepard, or Schirra) was your dad's friend? (My inquiring mind wants to know.) :)

In the movie The Right Stuff, Yeager had it right (watching Grissom getting pulled out of the water even as his capsule sank):

"You think a monkey knows he's sitting on top of a rocket that might explode? These astronaut boys, they know that, see? I'll tell ya something. It takes a special kinda man to volunteer for a suicide mission, especially when it's on TV! Old Gus, he did all right!" (Yes, I know this movie a little too well!) ;)

It was Wally Schirra. Class of 46. I've got a picture of them together somewhere. If I find it, I'll post it here.

LOL...yep, I've got "The Right Stuff", "Apollo 13" and "From The Earth To The Moon" all on DVD. Eat them up like candy.

Loved seeing them salvage Gus Grissom's capsule and prove that he didn't "screw the pooch". Great vindication for a great man. Saw that on PBS some years ago.

When the Challenger launched and blew up, I cried. Speaking of which, there was a film titled "The Challenger Disaster" on tv recently. Did you see it? Interesting and critical dramatization about how government went about (or not) in determining what caused the crash. Worth seeing for us NASA junkies out there.

The Challenger Disaster (TV Movie 2013) - IMDb

Last edited:
It was Wally Schirra. Class of 46. I've got a picture of them together somewhere. If I find it, I'll post it here.

LOL...yep, I've got "The Right Stuff", "Apollo 13" and "From The Earth To The Moon" all on DVD. Eat them up like candy.

Loved seeing them salvage Gus Grissom's capsule and prove that he didn't "screw the pooch". Great vindication for a great man. Saw that on PBS some years ago.

When the Challenger launched and blew up, I cried. Speaking of which, there was a film titled "The Challenger Disaster" on tv recently. Did you see it? Interesting and critical dramatization about how government went about (or not) in determining what caused the crash. Worth seeing for us NASA junkies out there.

The Challenger Disaster (TV Movie 2013) - IMDb

Never saw that movie you referenced, or "From the Earth To The Moon." I did see a great documentary called "Moon Shot" (with Barry Corbin narrating in the persona of Deke Slayton) Moon Shot (TV Movie 1994) - IMDb

Which tells the story of the space program from Mercury through the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project in 1975. Talks about Shepard's battle w/Meniere's Disease, along with Deke's fibrillation issues. There's even a funny line from Chris Kraft, the flight director:

"We knew more about Deke Slayton's heart than any person we ever flew. And this goddamned doctor stood up in the meeting and said, 'well, we know we've said that before, but if he fibrillates on the pad, I'm gonna stop the count. And, I FIRED THAT SONOFABITCH!"

Cool that your dad and Wally Schirra (he of "Did you ever sneeze in one of these?" fame)--I actually remember when he did those Actifed commercials. :D

That's a must have available on DVD. An HBO miniseries produced by Tom Hanks and Ron Howard. It chronicles the entire Apollo space program as a docudrama.

From the Earth to the Moon (TV miniseries) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Like I said, I've heard of it, just never saw it.

Interesting thing about Apollo 13 (the movie) that you probably already know--after the crew took some zero-G training in NASA's "Vomit Comet" (the KC-135 they used), the crew asked if they had ever thought of using the plane as a set for a movie. So they went all the way to the NASA Administrator in Washington, DC, and got permission to use it. As Kevin Bacon says, "I don't know if you've ever actually been in an airplane that's diving toward the Earth, on purpose, but..." (From the Collector's Edition DVD Extras). :D

My fascination with the natural environment first started in early primary school, which kind of developed out of my fascination with dinosaurs. Since then it's taken a few turns, but essentially is the same. Specifically I'm interested in the interaction between humans and the natural environment, and how they influence each other.

Miniature Modelling is something that stuck around.

I always liked those modelling planes as a child, but I was horrible at assembling and painting them. I also always had a fascination for scenic pieces and dioramas in toy catalogues. I could spend quite some time watching at those displays at train stores as well.

That later went on to where I disassembled toys and put them together with new parts as well as repainting them.

And later in life I eventually ended up getting into tabletop wargaming, which pretty much is a culmination of all those things. Assembling and painting models, creating scenery pieces.. .and on top of that there's a rulebook to make it an actual game.

To some extent I guess that also can be tracked back to an interest in board and cardgames as a child... I sometimes believe that the main reason I play more videogames through my life was cause I didn't have people to play non-video games with and I couldn't just go out to travel as a 10 year old.

Miniature Modelling is something that stuck around.

I always liked those modelling planes as a child, but I was horrible at assembling and painting them. I also always had a fascination for scenic pieces and dioramas in toy catalogues. I could spend quite some time watching at those displays at train stores as well.

That later went on to where I disassembled toys and put them together with new parts as well as repainting them.

And later in life I eventually ended up getting into tabletop wargaming, which pretty much is a culmination of all those things. Assembling and painting models, creating scenery pieces.. .and on top of that there's a rulebook to make it an actual game.

To some extent I guess that also can be tracked back to an interest in board and cardgames as a child... I sometimes believe that the main reason I play more videogames through my life was cause I didn't have people to play non-video games with and I couldn't just go out to travel as a 10 year old.

Flippen' heck, I just looked at your photos! Impressive :)

And you're pretty good with a camera too ;)

Like I said, I've heard of it, just never saw it.

Interesting thing about Apollo 13 (the movie) that you probably already know--after the crew took some zero-G training in NASA's "Vomit Comet" (the KC-135 they used), the crew asked if they had ever thought of using the plane as a set for a movie. So they went all the way to the NASA Administrator in Washington, DC, and got permission to use it. As Kevin Bacon says, "I don't know if you've ever actually been in an airplane that's diving toward the Earth, on purpose, but..." (From the Collector's Edition DVD Extras). :D

Yep, I saw some of the documentary footage of them in the Vomit Comet. Helluva way to film a movie, but ya have to love Ron Howard's pursuit of the real details. I know some of us space geeks have a lot to say about the recent film "Gravity", but of course I haven't seen it yet myself.

Yep, I saw some of the documentary footage of them in the Vomit Comet. Helluva way to film a movie, but ya have to love Ron Howard's pursuit of the real details. I know some of us space geeks have a lot to say about the recent film "Gravity", but of course I haven't seen it yet myself.

That's another film ("Gravity") that I haven't seen, either. Yeah, Ron Howard made Apollo 13 pretty doggoned accurate, although if you go over to IMDB.com and look at the movie's "Goofs" page, it's still fairly extensive. I'm not sure I would have wanted to film a movie in the Vomit Comet. :D

New Threads

Top Bottom