• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Interested in Volunteering?

LR1

My name is Amenaghawon Ahmad and I am reaching out from the graduate Psychology Department at Capella University. I am recruiting volunteer participants for my doctoral research study that is focused on parent/child interactions.

This study will help practitioners better understand best practices for how parents can support their non-vocal child in communicating their needs. Please see the attached flyer for more details.

If this is something that would interest you or someone you know, please email:

[email protected]

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you!

Best,

Amenaghawon Ahmad

Attachments

• FINAL FLYER The Impact of Telehealth BST on Parental Procedural Fidelity.pdf
    468.4 KB · Views: 27
I did hear about a father with a non-verbal son who happened to sit with a therapist on an aircraft. By the time they landed, they had a breakthrough with the boy pointing to choices she presented as pictures.
In another incident, the subject liked to sit and rock, ignoring everyone - until someone sat and rocked with them.
There was also a guy with a non-verbal younger brother. Before going away to college, the elder took the boy, about 12, to the zoo, which he liked. The boy locked eyes with a tiger and leaped onto the bars, shaking them violently and shouting Freedom! Freedom! I'd try out dogs as therapists. They are great at reading body language.

Oh, yes, and no way would I volunteer to be anyone's guinea pig. If I had a non-verbal kid, I might be motivated to let someone else study him, but I would watch the entire affair like a hawk, and the first time something smelled funny or the least bit dishonest, I would walk.

Last thing, I just want to contextualize my concern, so now remember that the non-verbal are extremely vulnerable, and even if you think you're verbal, you probably don't understand how little people respect you over your mannerisms and facial expressions, and that makes you effectively half-mute and still vulnerable. So, remember your history lessons.

I did hear about a father with a non-verbal son who happened to sit with a therapist on an aircraft. By the time they landed, they had a breakthrough with the boy pointing to choices she presented as pictures.
In another incident, the subject liked to sit and rock, ignoring everyone - until someone sat and rocked with them.
There was also a guy with a non-verbal younger brother. Before going away to college, the elder took the boy, about 12, to the zoo, which he liked. The boy locked eyes with a tiger and leaped onto the bars, shaking them violently and shouting Freedom! Freedom! I'd try out dogs as therapists. They are great at reading body language.
I have also found pets (especially dogs) to be a great source of therapeutic interaction. I wonder if certain breeds are more effective than others?

Last thing, I just want to contextualize my concern, so now remember that the non-verbal are extremely vulnerable, and even if you think you're verbal, you probably don't understand how little people respect you over your mannerisms and facial expressions, and that makes you effectively half-mute and still vulnerable. So, remember your history lessons.

Yes, history is the best teacher for human beings. Thankfully, it's one of the ways we are able to progress as a species

I have also found pets (especially dogs) to be a great source of therapeutic interaction. I wonder if certain breeds are more effective than others?
Some breeds are better for that, but all the best dogs I know are mixed breed. Let the dog choose the human.

New Threads

Top Bottom