• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Technology

Judge

V.I.P Member
"Once enabled, Intel Turbo Boost Technology works automatically under operating system control."

Ok, it's enabled on my new system through the BIOS by default. And I know beyond that it operates "automatically". However can anyone tell me in a simple way what exactly prompts the Turbo Boost technology to adjust the performance-base frequency of 2.50Ghz to 4.40Ghz?

Thermodynamics of the CPU and motherboard ? Video frame rates? A particular application? Wishful thinking? LOL....I'm just curious given all the systems I have built previously had turbo features that were manually enabled.

I like the concept given a past understanding that having turbo boost on perpetually is bad for the CPU and perhaps the motherboard as well. Stands to reason that if this function is activated only based on a set of conditions, which is fine by me! But I just want to know what those conditions are.

Especially when it means going from a power default of 65 watts to 117 watts. I must not be looking in the right place...I know it's out there somewhere. My bad. Up to now all my computers I built didn't operate with such greater wattage...and the temps they generate. A big reason for my using an anti-buckling device over the CPU on my LGA 1700 motherboard. Where all that heat can actually warp 12,13 and 14 gen processors.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I never even looked at mine. I got the bloke in the shop around the corner to assemble what I bought from him, and he put my preferred Linux and desktop in it too so it was delivered up and running.

Everything just worked perfect so I had no reason to go looking at anything.

I never even looked at mine. I got the bloke in the shop around the corner to assemble what I bought from him, and he put my preferred Linux and desktop in it too so it was delivered up and running.

Everything just worked perfect so I had no reason to go looking at anything.
Frankly it came as quite a surprise to me. I actually like the idea of "Boost On Demand". (But without the whine of a turbocharger. :p)

What I get for not paying attention to the hardware in between computer builds! :rolleyes:

I don't pay a great deal of attention to it any more either. After twice having trouble with bent processor pins, one of which I swear was like it in the box, I decided it was easier to just let someone else do it. That way if anything goes wrong it's not my problem.

I don't pay a great deal of attention to it any more either. After twice having trouble with bent processor pins, one of which I swear was like it in the box, I decided it was easier to just let someone else do it. That way if anything goes wrong it's not my problem.
I gotta tell you, it was a daunting process. So much more has changed over these last 12 years than the 12 years before that. But I'm glad to have done it, just to show to myself that I still could.

Physically building it was par for the course. But picking out high-quality components that are all compatible with each other was not so easy. Especially trying to balance out limiting thermodynamics while still trying to keep the door open to gaming.

I mentioned this in another thread once before, what we are used to as computer shops here is very different to what I could find when I searched in the US. Here their main focus is on selling parts, mostly to the gaming community. Many of them don't sell any proprietary branded computer systems except for a few basic laptops, they'll have a range of their own custom built computers or you can order whatever you like and they'll assemble it and test it for you before you take delivery.

What made me really happy with this bloke was the offer of any Linux setup I like once I told him I didn't use Windows. He said he has to install something so he can test it all so he may as well install what I wanted. So I told him the username and passwords I wanted in it and it got delivered ready to go.

Many of them don't sell any proprietary branded computer systems except for a few basic laptops, they'll have a range of their own custom built computers or you can order whatever you like and they'll assemble it and test it for you before you take delivery.
Yeah, if they enjoy a good reputation for what they build, I can see the advantage in offering only non-proprietary desktop systems. "Money in the bank" for customers who can trust them.

Frankly about 80% of what I hear is always quite dismal when it comes to storebought desktop PCs.
Especially the major brand names. Needless and overly complex proprietary engineering so you can't replace parts yourself very easily. I cringe for most anyone out there looking at such stuff to buy.

I still can't wrap my head around those major brands that insist on using inadequate stock CPU coolers.

So much easier to go in to the shops we have here. You usually start by looking at their store built systems and then start changing what you want in it. And because they're aimed at gamers my Ubuntu came with Wine already installed. It really was ready to go as soon as I plugged it in. Just added one of my own drives and away I went.

So much easier to go in to the shops we have here. You usually start by looking at their store built systems and then start changing what you want in it. And because they're aimed at gamers my Ubuntu came with Wine already installed. It really was ready to go as soon as I plugged it in. Just added one of my own drives and away I went.
Wine 9.0 was tricky to install this time around. On my other computer it was simply an upgrade.

Mainly given not all the websites showing how in a step-by-step manner were correct. I had to mess up with one to go on and find one that actually worked. Not a lot of keystrokes required, but they do have to be the right ones done in the terminal.

But with version 9.0, installing Photoshop 5.5 and custom Xenofex and Extensis extensions were a breeze.

I just installed straight from the repository, no problems.

sudo apt-get install wine winetricks
Adding Winetricks was where I received my first Windows virus that Clam caught. Since then, that particular app well....gives me the creeps. Versatile, but potentially compromised.

What I don't get is that some distros (like Mint and Pop!OS) both have Wine in their repositories, but only very old versions. Which reminds me to check the repository for Mint 21.3 to see if they ever changed that.

ROTFLMAO.....I just saw that in the 21.3 repository they are offering Wine 9.0! Bout time....

Oh well, Guess I won't have to fret about Wine installations any more. :cool:

Installing "Wine" is the one terminal transaction I've always had to hold my breath over. But then if I did make a serious mistake, I would just go into the dreaded "Synaptic Package Manager" and erase every file pertinent to that particular application. Great tool to have when you need it.

Last edited:
What I don't get is that some distros (like Mint and Pop!OS) both have Wine in their repositories, but only very old versions. Which reminds me to check the repository for Mint 21.3 to see if they ever changed that.
I don' know if it would cause any conflicts or not, but you should be able to manually add the Ubuntu repositories. If there's no conflicts it could save you a bit of messing around.

A tip for installing games too - for the bigger games I give each one it's own Wine Prefix (fake windows drive). The reason is that many of them require different and conflicting setups. One good example is Skyrim, it requires xRaw for sound but xRaw interferes with the sound in other games.

I don' know if it would cause any conflicts or not, but you should be able to manually add the Ubuntu repositories. If there's no conflicts it could save you a bit of messing around.
LOL. Funny you should mention that. That's exactly what happened to me with using two different sources of conflicting instructions in installing Wine. My error ended up creating a second source to download from WineHQ which I had to create a file to eliminate the error in the update manager program.

This is a classic example of how when you run into problems in Linux, you just ask a search engine how to fix them. "Ask, and ye shall receive". Worked like a charm, and my error disappeared from the update manager.

Adding Winetricks was where I received my first Windows virus that Clam caught.
I just thought about this and it must be a false positive. Winetricks is a Linux specific program, no Windows user could make use of it in any way so it's highly unlikely to contain a Windows virus. Also, it has been created in Linux for Linux, it's simply not possible for it to contain a virus.

I just thought about this and it must be a false positive. Winetricks is a Linux specific program, no Windows user could make use of it in any way so it's highly unlikely to contain a Windows virus. Also, it has been created in Linux for Linux, it's simply not possible for it to contain a virus.
Could well be. I thought about the possibility, but had no way to confirm it. And it's an error that I got twice in two separate transactions.

Though the offending file in question was deleted in Clam without any damage to Wine.

Sounds similar to what Qualcomm already utilizes for mobile phones in adjusting (physical) core clock speeds adaptively. The difference is that Intel's FAQ seems to indicate that TurboBoost works at the processor level, not the SoC level. And TurboBoost is agonistic of individual cores.

As to what "activates" TurboBoost: probably simply processor workload and favorable thermals. The FAQ seems to indicate the OS has nothing to do with it. The control is executed at the processor level - inaccessible to userland.

Sounds similar to what Qualcomm already utilizes for mobile phones in adjusting (physical) core clock speeds adaptively. The difference is that Intel's FAQ seems to indicate that TurboBoost works at the processor level, not the SoC level. And TurboBoost is agonistic of individual cores.

As to what "activates" TurboBoost: probably simply processor workload and favorable thermals. The FAQ seems to indicate the OS has nothing to do with it. The control is executed at the processor level - inaccessible to userland.
I suppose if anything I'll know when it jumps simply by observing increased cpu temps. But just doing my usual web browsing and file transfers seems to keep temps in the realm of high 20s to high 30s and little else right now. Haven't installed any games yet.

Still I like the idea of such a function proportionate to the load of a processor. And that it sounds very well moderated in terms of temperature control. So I'm never using turbo mode where it isn't required.

"PWM" for a CPU...lol.

Last edited:
I suppose if anything I'll know when it jumps simply by observing increased cpu temps. But just doing my usual web browsing and file transfers seems to keep temps in the realm of high 20s to high 30s and little else right now. Haven't installed any games yet.
Yeah, Qualcomm has its own procfs files where you can observe the CPU scaling. But that is Qualcomm-specific and I don't have the faintest idea of how to know if you're running turboboost. Google search says the i7z package might be able to help out here.

Yeah, Qualcomm has its own procfs files where you can observe the CPU scaling. But that is Qualcomm-specific and I don't have the faintest idea of how to know if you're running turboboost. Google search says the i7z package might be able to help out here.
My BIOS defaults to Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 being "enabled". But yes, it still vexes me as to what actually prompts it to double the processor speed and power consumption to 117 watts.

This is an i5 12400F cpu. Locked in terms of overclocking, but the Turbo Boost is supposed to operate as intended.

I did notice an applet that you can install into the panel (tray) that allows one to enable or disable Intel Turbo Boost, but I don't see the point unless one is concerned about it running when not desirable, if such a thing. I dunno. But enabling it alone is academic if it isn't action operating due to low cpu cycles, etc..

Last edited:
I just noticed Winetricks is a little bit broken now, it keeps throwing up checksum errors for a lot of files. I had to install some things like fonts manually, easy enough though.

New Threads

Top Bottom