• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

[Inspiring video] Asperger Syndrome - Clay Marzo: Just Add Water

Nacho

What are your thoughts on this video? I find it beautiful and inspiring because for the first time I can see a doctor -the speaker- speaking about us in a positive way.

It has some real positive aspects to it. I got to say, though, I am never pleased to see aspies justified on the basis of our abilities, especially the bit about it being a "higher form" because we can talk. Why can't we just be people who are part of the natural variation of this world? We have as much right to be here as anyone else, regardless of our abilities.

It's a very good explanation of the autistics who meet the aspie stereotype. But for those of us who don't, I think it is not so helpful.

being a "higher form" because we can talk.
It's a higher form because it's less severe, not based on if someone can talk or not. I don't think the definition of high functioning autism is autistic people who can talk - I'm sure there's autists who can't talk who are high functioning and autists who can talk who are low functioning. Isn't functioning what you can do by yourself and how independent you are and stuff?

Thanks for posting the video.
I just read his book, The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome. I loved it so much that now I'm reading it for the second time and taking notes.
Finally I can put a face to the name. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom