• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Increased Pain Tolerance? I hurt SO much.

NicoleAscot

Kira Renèe
I'm in pain management for pain because of a work related injury several years ago.
40mg of Percocet per day. It was 30mg per day until May, and I BEGGED for an increase for nearly 2 solid years.

Here's the problem: the MRI results have never showed injuries that should cause me "that much" pain.

But I live in absolute misery and it's made my quality of life drop dramatically. I can't even drive more than 10 minutes and I'm not even 30 years old!!!

I've heard that some aspies can have a much LOWER pain tolerance, compared to the typical HIGH pain tolerance.

Could this be why I hurt so much more? Does anyone know something the doctor could do to make the pain less if being an Aspie is partly the reason?

I just can't live like this anymore!!

I generally have the opposite problem, I don't even seem to realise how much I've injured myself or feel it to the full extent, I just go numb. Like when I crashed and lost a piece of my jaw bone, I actually couldn't feel it, or didn't think it was that bad, I just asked about my knee which was kind of scraped up. Took six months to heal my chin because they couldn't close the wound and had to pick out the gravel, as well as the fact that a piece of my jaw was missing, still don't have that actually. I generally have a very high pain tolerance but can't stand soft touch. I'd actually prefer to be punched that stroked. But that could just be me.

a surgeon said to me i was sensitized to pain think it means i was just thinking about the pain all the time i think HES right

i also know you will become tolerant to any pain relief
so change it my neighbour changes her medication every 2-3 years
,a TENS machine worked!!! for me but i done a lot of damage to area of the brain associated with pain perception after an infection

a t e n s machine would probably work for you
you've got to start with mindfulness Google it and see which one interests you! to clarify one being adult colouring books zen doodling prayer meditation gardening
have you tried CBT what I got out of it was the phrase you don't have to worry and repeating it as often as possible but that was specifically for me
from what I've read people with autism are more sensitive to everything in general, the problem is if you are prescribed opiates they begin to damage the bowel causing constipation.
another one is the usual rest
this will bore some people but anxiety makes pain worse
I'm in pain management for pain because of a work related injury several years ago.
40mg of Percocet per day. It was 30mg per day until May, and I BEGGED for an increase for nearly 2 solid years.

Here's the problem: the MRI results have never showed injuries that should cause me "that much" pain.

But I live in absolute misery and it's made my quality of life drop dramatically. I can't even drive more than 10 minutes and I'm not even 30 years old!!!

I've heard that some aspies can have a much LOWER pain tolerance, compared to the typical HIGH pain tolerance.

Could this be why I hurt so much more? Does anyone know something the doctor could do to make the pain less if being an Aspie is partly the reason?

My pain tolerance is extremely low. I actually fear pain. This is why I haven't properly learned how to trim my fingernails and toenails using clippers, and to this day do it very slowly with my hands. People tell me that it's a bad idea. Whenever my mother is about to start clipping them, I just shake in fear that it might accidentally make a break in the skin and hurt. My mother is being very careful but I still shake in fear. In any case my therapist told me to start using clippers and trim the nails on my own. Whenever I do feel pain, like from a cut or scrape, I tend to react pretty dramatically to it which results in people calling me a drama king.

In certain situations I sort of manage the fear of pain by always thinking of a happy memory, like when the nurse administers a tetanus shot. The pain is still there but so is the memory; the memory is what I pay more attention to - because it's happy.

I've become sensitised to pain, because I've more or less had chronic pain since I was 10 years old. Thing is, when I'm distracted enough, it tends to go to the back of my mind. When I focus on it though, it's almost unbearable. I need physical therapy because of neck and shoulder pain, but the physical therapist can't get anywhere with me because I'm drenched in sweat the minute he starts working on my shoulder. We usually have to end our sessions prematurely because I'm about to faint. Sometimes though, we have a good session, when he's come up with a captivating conversational topic and I'm distracted enough from my pain.
Cognitive behavioral therapy (which I got for my depression, not for my pain) has helped me shift attention away from negative, non-helpful thoughts, and it's not that different when it comes to being in pain. Focusing your attention on your pain only seems to increase how much pain you experience.
I'm not saying, in any way, that you are exaggerating, or not really in pain, or that CBT is the answer for you. But it might be worth looking into. I'm not sure where you live, but in the Netherlands they have specific CBT practices for people with chronic pain, geared towards making life with pain more bearable.

I don't enjoy pain, but I think I have a pretty decent tolerance. I've had problems with my back for a long time and I never really show that I'm in pain unless it's particularly bad.

I have quite a high tolerance most of the time. A few years ago I developed a cellulitis infection on my leg. I still went to work for several days but all I could feel was the cold - I could put all my layers of clothing on and my entire body was still ice cold. Eventually after three days or so I decided to seek medical treatment. It wouldn't have come right otherwise, but it took a while to "sink in". I usually prefer avoiding doctors until almost at death's door...

I'm so sorry you are going through this. Perhaps your pain Clinic has a good CBT therapist to begin getting some good help? I also have a severe injury from a 25 ft Fall, and do PT at home three times per week.... for life. The ongoing PT eases the pain considerably. I'm wishing you relief!

Sometimes drugs like Percocet, if used for more than very short-term, actually create pain with long term usage. The brain becomes accustomed to the drug. Even though no new injury occurs, the drug seems to whisper to the brain "You HURT worse than ever, take more of me.... you HURT worse than ever, take more of me...." Your doctor can guide you if this might be happening to you, if you bring this up with him or her.

I'm glad you are getting regular checks and that the MRI did not show further damage. You are not in this alone. I'm sending you good thoughts for improved wellness.

My pain tolerance seems to rely on visual cues and, in extension, my state of mind. Like if I think something is going to hurt, the anticipation of pain can make even a pinch excruciating, otherwise I don't notice something is happening until it's too late.

I once burned the skin on my fingertips because I was focused on bringing the baking tray to the table. I've also experienced feeling "sleepy" while in therapy for my arm injury -- only when I took note when it happened did I realize I was blacking out whenever the injured area was being touched.

It's not that I'm numb, per se, but I think when I'm focused on something, my mind disregards everything else.

I have no medical advice...but it a nagging pain? My arm injury drives me nuts to the point where I can't concentrate on anything, I can't even twist the cap of a bottle at times. I rest it, even take some over the counter painkillers at times, but nothing beats refocusing on something else. When I become too aware of it, the pain becomes unbearable.

I apologize if the explanation is all over the place. It's just that I wonder about the extent of my injury as well, and am in the same line of thought as Streetwise.

My experience is that I have an unusually high pain tolerance. However, I've read that aspies can have either an esp. high or esp. low pain tolerance. I'd assume that some aspies have a 'normal' pain tolerance, but I don't know.

New Threads

Top Bottom