• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

In A Knot

Peace

V.I.P Member
Yesterday was a difficult one for me and I came to realize something. My hands were closed, my arms were tight, My head pulled down and my legs held together. I felt like I was tied in a knot. That isn't how I usually am. It was uncomfortable and it wears on me.
How would you describe feeling on an off day? And am I the only knot out there?

What you describe is mental for me! My brain is in the knot ie over thinking and feeling bewildered and very scared.

Not having a great day today, actually. The sun is shining and it is truly a beautiful day with incredible blue sky, but I am indoors obsessed with completing a cross stitch for a friend. I feel prejudged but it has to be by ME because I feel that I should be out there, embracing the good weather, but can't!

Am listening to some beautiful music though lol Laura Pausini

I often feel like Suzanne. In addition to my thoughts being tied in knots I find my muscles follow suit. I have to do a lot of stretch just to loosen up. Ironically, some of these stretches look very much like tying ones self I a knot, when in actual I am "untying" myself.

How about stuck in glue?
I get stressed, over-stimulated, confused.. stuck! Software crash!
I can't move, think, respond or act in any appropriate way.
Glue takes time to dissolve.. a knot takes time to untie.

How about stuck in glue?
I get stressed, over-stimulated, confused.. stuck! Software crash!
I can't move, think, respond or act in any appropriate way.
Glue takes time to dissolve.. a knot takes time to untie.
Wow Spiller, profound, poetic, and very personal.

I'm not so much a knot as I am fog, or sometimes just grim granite. I can't time things right, so I crash into doors and walls, and terse to the edge of mute. When foggy, just can't think. Sleep helps, sometimes.

Where is this knotting up coming from? Is it tension or a nervous response ? It doesn't sound good for your body in the long run so I would see a doctor about it. I would think you are going to have to adopt relaxation techniques or meds or both.

How would I describe feeling on an off day? Like a machine that has been running but a gear has stripped, therefore no worthwhile work was produced, and then the power source is cut and the machine stops, usually in an uncomfortable (mental/emotional) position.

Where is this knotting up coming from? Is it tension or a nervous response ?

Anxiety is a fight-or-flight response and muscles contract in anticipation of action. If a person is chronically anxious, or anxious for a single, prolonged stretch for some reason, the muscles can get stuck in the contraction phase. This can cause anything from a dull ache to sharp, shooting pains. In the worst cases, full relaxation can take a week or more of sustained calm.

I used to have a lot of problems with this. Not so bad anymore. An "off day" for me is usually just a day of self-imposed quiet and isolation, unless there's something going on that triggers another, more specific emotional response.

Last edited:
I'm wondering about prolongued muscular and psychological contraction.. a body tense with decades of anxiety, a mind imprisoned in just as much pain and fear.. there's a serious knot you're in that you're not even aware of being in, until the rare time you really can just start to let it all go - then you feel the tension, shakes, pain, crying..
I've been thinking about this thread Peace and, as always, you lead me to realisations that were always waiting there in the wings, as it were.
I was made aware that I'd lived with a lifetime of anxiety that I was so used to, I didn't even know I was anxious.. then I realised I'd combated a lifetime of fear and, again, I was inured to it.. now I see I've been a Gordian Knot all along!
Not so untieable though.. I'll find the end..!

I'm not so much a knot as I am fog, or sometimes just grim granite. I can't time things right, so I crash into doors and walls, and terse to the edge of mute. When foggy, just can't think. Sleep
You are fortunate that you can know sleep. It evades some of us. Sneaking up just for a short while, enough to let us know what we are
I'm wondering about prolongued muscular and psychological contraction.. a body tense with decades of anxiety, a mind imprisoned in just as much pain and fear.. there's a serious knot you're in that you're not even aware of being in, until the rare time you really can just start to let it all go - then you feel the tension, shakes, pain, crying..
I've been thinking about this thread Peace and, as always, you lead me to realisations that were always waiting there in the wings, as it were.
I was made aware that I'd lived with a lifetime of anxiety that I was so used to, I didn't even know I was anxious.. then I realised I'd combated a lifetime of fear and, again, I was inured to it.. now I see I've been a Gordian Knot all along!
Not so untieable though.. I'll find the end..!

All that I have endured is justified if it can serve to help another in need. Thank you for your kind words my friend. And yes, there is not just one end, but two.

This feeling for me is familiar and evident. I do not suffer from it, but I tire. To move is like dragging an anchor thru honey. Both my brain and my body become stuck. I become almost unaware of things happening around me. It is a tight, but peaceful place to hide and I know it well. It often takes me hours to a day to come out of it.
It is not something I would seek, or even want help for. It just is.

New Threads

Top Bottom