• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I’m new here!

Erwin_

Hello, I am new here and wanna share experience & get other peoples opinion and maybe help myself with understanding my ASD and even helping someone else with ASD.

Anyway let me introduce myself, I am 24 years old and was diagnosed with Asperger syndrome disorder around 16 years ago. I have been struggling last few years after I left school & collage, having no routine or structure in my day to day life. I am hoping to get some structure in my life and try have a good career in something but I am unsure what. I wanna do something fulfilling and I enjoy but I don’t even know where to start. But I’m hoping I can find advice & talk with other people here with similar experiences.

1698259736312.png

Welcome. For people like us, it's all about that search for routine and structure. They are essential for our well-being. I certainly didn't have it down at 26, but I am getting there at 32. Good luck to you!

HI and Welcome @Callum
Do have a look at older posts to see what is going on in here, and join in the conversation too - in your time

Welcome. For people like us, it's all about that search for routine and structure. They are essential for our well-being. I certainly didn't have it down at 26, but I am getting there at 32. Good luck to you!
Thank you!! Yes, everyone seems to extremely different in some cases. Which is good because we’re unique in our own.

Hello, I am new here and wanna share experience & get other peoples opinion and maybe help myself with understanding my ASD and even helping someone else with ASD.

Anyway let me introduce myself, I am 24 years old and was diagnosed with Asperger syndrome disorder around 16 years ago. I have been struggling last few years after I left school & collage, having no routine or structure in my day to day life. I am hoping to get some structure in my life and try have a good career in something but I am unsure what. I wanna do something fulfilling and I enjoy but I don’t even know where to start. But I’m hoping I can find advice & talk with other people here with similar experiences.
Welcome, Callum.

Executive functioning is a common topic. As you know, our daily lives are full of distractions and opportunities to procrastinate. I take a lesson I have learned from my work at the hospital. My work is absolute chaos some days, and frankly, those unplanned disruptions in my day can be legitimately life-threatening events with infants and children. So, I can't just blow them off. I have to react immediately. Yet, when I come into work at the beginning of the day, I still have a very long list of tasks to complete amongst the background of this chaos. Being able to flex and pivot between all those interruptions that pull you away AND still be able to get your work done is an executive functioning nightmare. What I do is I make a list of my tasks at the beginning of the day, with little check boxes by them. I start on my list, get interrupted, go back to my list, get interrupted again, go back to my list, get interrupted again and again, go back to my list.

I typically get irritated with other people making me a list, so I have to make it myself and force myself to finish it in a timely manner.

I'm also an educator for respiratory therapists, nurses, and doctors. We are currently going through a corporate merger with another large hospital system right now. I am looking at having to create, update, and edit three different lecture series for each set of students to accommodate a much larger and diverse audience. I have about 30 lectures to redo within the next few months. We are also have to merge each and every policy and procedure into one, all the editing, the back and forth, etc. I also have changes in policies and procedures, charting practices, etc. that have been put on the "back burner" until all of this is finalized over the next several months. The thought of it is daunting and don't know where to start. I have to find a beginning, make a check list, and start knocking it out. I have lectures scheduled on the calendar and people are depending upon me. No excuses. I have responsibilities and am accountable. Executive functioning.

The other thing to do is create some routines in your life. Probably the most important one is the times that you wake up and go to bed. Biorhythms are going to be one of those things that can make the difference between having an energetic, productive day, and one that causes you to be dragging butt all day. Whether I am working or having a day off, my bedtimes and wake times are about the same, within an hour or so. I don't ever have that mindset like, "Oh, finally, a day off where I can sleep in." That doesn't happen without bad consequences for me. Just stick with the routine.

Last edited:

Welcome, Callum.

Either I’m in a great mood, or you have a great approach. (I’m rarely in a great mood). You came to the right place.

Don’t know your situation, but wonder what you’re doing with your copious free time. If you’re able to get involved in something like computers or other technology at home, that can be the basis for structure. Learning a computer or human language is automatic structure, because you can’t help defining a project. Finishing one sentence or subroutine leads to building the next.

I recently shared with the forum here that I completed a book I’ve been writing for two years. It started with a self-assignment for a two or three page fragment.

Whatever you like to do, apply yourself energetically and your new field of interest may turn into a livelihood.

Welcome!

Perhaps you could try volunteering at a charity or group that does something of interest or meaning to you.

You may also wish to look at work experience programs where you try a variety of things to see if there's something you find interesting.

New Threads

Top Bottom