• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

If you could travel back in time...

Would you travel back in time if it were possible?

• Total voters
I was wondering some things people would do and see if they could travel back in time.
For me, I would see a lot of musicians that have passed, or played at unique venues, like Pink Floyd Live in Pompeii.
I would also travel back to prehistoric times, because I have always been interested in dinosaurs. Just to name a couple of things off the top of my head.

I'd do a a grand tour from visiting every major ancient civilization up until modern times. But invisibly, for safety as an outsider.

I'd do a a grand tour from visiting every major ancient civilization up until modern times. But invisibly, for safety as an outsider.

Love to see a parthian take a parthian shot.(parting shot)

Another version of esprit d'escalier (staircase wit)

The really good things said at the last minute.
Parting shot - when the other party things you're beat and you come back with a zinger.
Esprit d'escalier - when you lose as you think of the zinger but not until youre gone. Ie on the stairs (escalier) on the way out.

How would you survive and exist in a place without matter? Then if you did find a way how could you survive the big bang assuming there really was one? Nice thought though.

Time seems to be connected to space and some people believe that it's relative to the expanding universe. In theory time travel is possible, however if so there's the big question that asks why no-one from the future has ever come back to visit us now? Some people believe they already have, but I'm more sceptical. I think it's unlikely we will ever be able to individually travel back in time a significant amount under control, but I think changing the speed of passage of time within a controlled area is more likely to be possible and this effectively allows us to travel forward in time. They have allegedly already achieved this to the smallest fraction of a second that was only measurable on an atomic clock.

I have an unusual theory on time, what if everything in time is all happening at once? Perhaps people are conscious as I am typing this hundreds of years ago for instance? What if where we currently exist in time is only our perception? People occasionally report witnessing what are allegedly replays from the past, sometimes they're called "ghosts" that usually only last for a few seconds (I was once extremely privileged to witness such a rare replay of a women in an old fashioned mourning dress very clearly that others had reported at the location in the past), but on other occasions sounds from the past can also seem to break through, E.g. you might hear musket fire on an old battlefield or the mechanical draw bridge mechanism may even be recorded in an old medieval building even though the mechanism was totally removed many years before (I have heard such a recording at a place called Chingle Hall which I investigated many times in the 1990s), sometimes even smells seem to appear and just as quickly vanish. So what if these replays aren't replays at all, but are instead time breaking through as it happened in the past, caused by the energy created from extremely strong emotions, death or significant change? Just because it's difficult for us to understand doesn't mean it's not true and the whole way we think we understand time could be completely wrong.

That’s a cool theory... Once I’m non-physical again we could meet up and go exploring all these time lapses and parallels but I think we would have to somehow set a date in the future also tied to a distinct time in the past whic would be our present NOW...

I will let you swing with the spookies... I just want to blast through time and have fun, and maybe not get into too much trouble... I do want to swing by and check out King Solomons mines, and maybe hook up with Cleopatria as my date at my old High School Prom... See I would mess it all up, but I would have lots of fun in the process.

This all reminds me of Bill and Teds Excellent Adentures, one of my favorite movies as kid. : )

I've frequently day-dreamed about this. One would like to be able to go back and prevent disasters but you are left with the uncontrolled altered future consequences (ie. saving person X life might mean person Y never is born, etc). So the only safe thing to do would appear to be observation, and solving some mystery.

But the first thing I would do is go back and somehow manipulate things so I become filthy stinking rich and buy a castle! But I would change nothing about meeting my wife. I just hope she would still love me if I was filthy rich and owned a castle. :D

First I get to choose when to be invisible, non detectable by scent or hearing okay. I'd go back and meet and talk to DaVinci, (I'd be able to speak his language), then to the ancient times of mega-fauna and aborigines in what is now Australia, then to Greece (I'd be able to speak the language there too) sail the Aegean and Mediterranean Seas, and experience the dramas of Sophocles, Euripides, Aristophanes, etc. Then I'd go and see the dinosaurs specifically T. Rex. Then I'd come to northwestern America and see it before it was ruined by over-population and development.

First I get to choose when to be invisible, non detectable by scent or hearing okay. I'd go back and meet and talk to DaVinci, (I'd be able to speak his language), then to the ancient times of mega-fauna and aborigines in what is now Australia, then to Greece (I'd be able to speak the language there too) sail the Aegean and Mediterranean Seas, and experience the dramas of Sophocles, Euripides, Aristophanes, etc. Then I'd go and see the dinosaurs specifically T. Rex. Then I'd come to northwestern America and see it before it was ruined by over-population and development.

If you ever need a quiet travel partner I would like this trip also! : )

The 80s...so, yeah, drop me off at January 1st, 1980 and don't look back. Don't try to talk me out of this either and bring a spare flux capacitor, I've thought long and hard about this and nobody's changing my mind here.

Last edited:
Maybe. With an ability to create temporal paradoxes in time. But perhaps that is the ultimate temptation.

The sort we're cosmically not supposed to have. o_O

Maybe. With an ability to create temporal paradoxes in time. But perhaps that is the ultimate temptation.

The sort we're cosmically not supposed to have. o_O

Oh, it'll be fine. Each act in your time travelling past just creates another universe - theyre not related to each other, so i dont see a problem.

Oh, it'll be fine. Each act in your time travelling past just creates another universe - theyre not related to each other, so i dont see a problem.

LOL....of course it won't be a problem. :eek:

Unless people are sliding in and out of alternate universes. :cool:

That
can get weird. ;)

Yeh, those guys - soon as i get a sweet deal going in a new universe those guys slide in and spoil it.

Bane of my life :)

No wonder the Federation had that pesky "Prime Directive". :p

Then again even that didn't help in one episode. Derned parallel universes! Oops. :eek:

Last edited:
I would go back, but being somewhere between 15 and 25, to at least one big party (like a wedding party) in each era. I’d dance waltz in the Victorian era, Charleston in the 20’s, tango in the 30’s, paso doble in the 30’s, in the 40’s not dancing, not the mood, but I’d go see Edith Piaf... Elvis Presley in the 50’s, the Beach Boys in the 60’s, disco in the 70’s , ABBA probably, new wave and merengue in the 80’s and 90’s. It would be a long trip :D.

Last edited:
How would you survive and exist in a place without matter? Then if you did find a way how could you survive the big bang assuming there really was one? Nice thought though.
In the same way the place without matter exists.
It would indeed be on a different level.

I have thought much on your theory of time in the same aspects.
That time is a human made concept and it all exists at once.
I've had the same type of experiences you spoke of with the old lady 'ghost.'
I clearly saw an old lady in a long dress apparition in a bedroom of a rented house.
My parents and I all heard footsteps in the house at times. Mom was pulled halfway off the bed by the feet will resting in that bedroom.
Frosty ice was on the walls once with the smell of lillacs and it wasn't even cold.
When we moved I asked the Landlord if someone had died in that house.
They knew the story and answered "yes, in the front bedroom."

My mother grew up in the hills of southern Missouri in the heart of a civil war area. Her and her sister often heard the sound of like a metal ball dragging across the front porch and twice saw what looked like a black metal ball bouncing on the bed.

Fast forward many years later, the house was demolished, woods grown up in the area, she wanted to take a trek up the hill to the old home place one last time. I had never been there, but, walking up the hill through the trees, I caught quick visions of Confederate soldiers all around with their rifles.
Where the old house had once stood, the ground was still open with what looked like the imprint of where it was.
Yet everything else around it was a grown forest.

Yes, your theory is something I have entertained myself.
Add the infinite multiverses and we don't know diddley.
At least our physical brain doesn't compared to what is out there. Maybe what we call consciousness or spirit?
Who knows? I won't say the Shadow knows.
Oh, well, I just did! :D

I'd do 2 main things.

1) I'd go back to the day in June 1990 when I was diubg nt GCSE Maths exam, and knowing what I do now I'd actually pass it.

2) I'd go back to Valentine's Day 1991, me aged nearly 15, the day my ex kind of "proposed" to me and said "Are we getting married then?" this time I would've said yes just to see her face hit the floor! :D

New Threads

Top Bottom