• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I need a revival of my work ethics.

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
When I got my first full time job at the sheet metal factory, I worked my ass off for them, making over 120% production standards most nights. Yet once they realized I was going to Orlando every year during Gay Days, the employer turned cold on me. They started “randomly” drug testing me a lot more often than everybody else there. Then they made it clear to me I would never get promoted there by handing a promotion to a man who advertised he was slacking off a couple of hours every shift on his timesheet.

Ever since then, I stopped caring about being productive for any employer, and that is part of my problem. I need that fire back within myself.

If you were going to an external event during work hours, even though you exceeded expectations, I understand their unhappiness. Your priorities were wrong. In most cases, an employer that pays hourly expects you to be on-site during those hours. If you were salaried, sometimes that is treated differently. Or if you were being paid for each piece.

If you were going to an external event during work hours, even though you exceeded expectations, I understand their unhappiness. Your priorities were wrong. In most cases, an employer that pays hourly expects you to be on-site during those hours. If you were salaried, sometimes that is treated differently. Or if you were being paid for each piece.
I was using paid vacation hours. They approved the use of those vacation hours.

Most, correction, all employers don't care. It's best to do minimum at work these days

When I got my first full time job at the sheet metal factory, I worked my ass off for them, making over 120% production standards most nights. Yet once they realized I was going to Orlando every year during Gay Days, the employer turned cold on me. They started “randomly” drug testing me a lot more often than everybody else there. Then they made it clear to me I would never get promoted there by handing a promotion to a man who advertised he was slacking off a couple of hours every shift on his timesheet.

Ever since then, I stopped caring about being productive for any employer, and that is part of my problem. I need that fire back within myself.
That is highly unprofessional behavior from that company, I mean... what you are saying is that because of something you did in your free time, not about your performance on the job or something relevant to the company, they didn't want to give you a promotion, but instead gave it to someone who wasted company time more or less openly, that is wrong and not they way for that company to make the profits they could.

As I read it, you then say, that because of that unfair treatment of you (and the owners/investors to the company), you now have a problem with other places you work, which I find understandable. But also that you realise that is not good for you or to the benefit of the new places you work.

My recommendation is to realize every job is a pure exchange of services, your time and effort, in return of either a monetary compensation or an increase of your general value (e.g. experience) for the next job. It's a bit hard, but that is what it is really about (unless it's your own company in some way).

Because you had one job where you weren't treated right, doesn't mean you wont be in next job, go into the job with the expectation to be treated right, if you don't then try in a new place. I'm sure you will find a good place with fair treatment sooner or later.

I have a coworker they don't hold accountable I think, partly, because they're afraid she'll leave. Though she works, essentially, half a day. Being friends with her is a big part, too. Such a waste of money, but that's how it is.

Edit: your old employer was hideous.

You were right and they were wrong. So, yes, retain your work ethic. But it's a 2 way street, and it begins at start time and finishes at home time. Altho I always broke that rule, as I found I needed to put in longer than some to achieve a good result, so I tended always to do catch up at home or in downtime.

It did give me stuff to do evenings and weekends, that interested me, and filled my time. We are all different, I had some jobs I mostly loved. Romance? Not so much. But work-lurve, mmm!

I only have two speeds: ON and OFF. Once I start working, I become a bit hyper-focused. Sometimes I forget to eat lunch. It's just the way I'm hard-wired.

I need that fire back within myself.
I agree, @Metalhead. It sounds like a strong work ethic is something that you were proud of and it's a shame that homophobic employers took that away from you for awhile. Time to take it back and be your true self, whatever you want that to look like.

Really, it's best to work for yourself. Short of that, then just working to pay bills, and provide retirement for yourself. It's a tough working environment. Alot of positions just spit people out, then there is a replacement right behind you. I am always looking for a great work place with the right kind of bosses. Preferably on the spectrum.

New Threads

Top Bottom