• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I celebrate my Asperger's

ChrisN

I am 64 1/2 and have been diagnosed with Asperger's in the past 5 years. I celebrate it because I have lived all my life wondering WTF I was and why I didnt fit it. Finally at this stage in my life I now understand why I have a razor-sharp memory of the most esoteric, why I took the professional path that I did (troubleshooting electronics), why I won and lost at relationships, why I post the most ridiculous things on FB (cos I can), and why I am who I am.
I turned out the way I did cos I followed what felt right, for better or worse.

wish i sounded as confident as you but all i remember is a teenage aspie boy being assaulted and dying
i was diagnosed 18 months ago im 47

chrisn,it is good to celebrate yourself and what makes you;you, i think its good you accept your aspergers as fighting against your own brain wiring would only make things worse.
aspergers/autism has driven you throughout your whole life,its like a reliable car that may ocasionally need some work done.
i am glad you are happy with your autism,as so many people arent and are desperately following this pointless search for a cure [never in our lifetime anyway].

i have always loved my life,even when i was severely classic autistic,doesnt mean i havent gone through terrible crap-had plenty of that, been suicidal many times,bullied my whole life because of my disabilities...but i have such an eventful life now and it can be what i want it to be with a lot of accomodation and workarounds,being accepting and positive about my life would probably offend a lot of people on other sites where they want to see anything severe as a tragedy,the awful recognition and support of mental health issues in autistic individuals is the tragedy.

New Threads

Top Bottom