• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

should I try to get a diagnosis?

• Yes

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

edo18vm

Hi everyone, I am a 26 year old cisgender male and I am not sure if I am on the spectrum and I would like to see if someone has a similar experience to mine and maybe I could get some advice from diagnosed people.

So let's start from the beginning. I am a quadruplet, born in Costa Rica and since I remember I had very acute social anxiety, I struggled talking with anyone but my 3 brothers (even though I never talked about personal stuff with anyone, even them). We went the same classroom through kindergarten and 6 years of school and i struggled to make friends then. Also I had some pretty weird hobbies (in hindsight) like building habitats for spiders and caterpillars and feeding them, nurturing them until they turned into butterflies. Also I have had a life long romance with drawing, which eventually turned into my profession. In my childhood I spent days crafting worlds and characters which I would play in and imagine I could visit and I clearly remember wishing I could give life to my drawings or transform them into toys. During these years I was very very timid and avoided people, specially boys and sports, since I found them strange and loud.

In high school my siblings and I were separated into separate classrooms to improve our social lives and make us more independent but I really had no idea what to do, I was very awkward around people and I remember the pain it caused me trying to talk to my classmates, specially girls. I had some crushed and breakdowns because I couldn't hope to talk to them and I made some really idiotic romantic gestures which failed pretty badly. I also was incredibly afraid of public speaking and that kind of stuff but also excelled in every course without too much effort.

Eventually I decided to get better at the whole social thing so I began studying things like human expression, psychology and body language, talking to girls, etc, reading everything I could on the topics and trying to improve my confidence. Eventually I got pretty good at appearing confident and learned a lot about human behavior so I started getting friends and even a girlfriend. The thing is I always felt like I was different and faking it during this time and I really really wanted to go to college and get away from my town.

In College I studied graphic design, because as I said I always loved drawing and I was pretty good at it and I felt better because people seemed to be weirder but I still felt a little off. At this time I met the girl that is now my wife and dating her I felt much more comfortable but I still tried to maintain the facade for many years, hoping I would not ruin our relationship so I was a little distant and uninvolved at the start.

Anyway, fast forward, I excelled again at college and was first of my class and eventually graduated. I work as a freelancer from my house and feel pretty good at the moment, like I feel my dark days are way past behind. I got married to my long term girlfriend 2 days ago and I think I finally feel like I have someone I can share anything with and be myself.

I experienced what I would call breakdowns some times, like in a really crowded museum or in a bullfighting show, where I have had to tell my girlfriend I need to leave immediately and started crying.

Recently, watching some youtube channels and series I felt really identified with autistic people sharing their experiences but I never ever would have imagined I could have ASD before, specially because I have always had an easy time in academics. The thing is I don't know if it's actually possible or may be if I am just being dramatic. I have a psychiatrist aunt and have always been very close, she has said before to me that I have anxiety and am obsessive but she has never mentioned that I may have some kind of ASD.

By now I have read a ton of articles about ASD and made 4 or 5 tests which all resulted in High Functioning Autism or similar things (but they are not diagnostics). Some traits I seem to have are: very obsessive mind (I work almost all day and do little else, research random topics with high intensity, talk about topics until people say are bored), very sensitive to stimulus and random stuff (like on the breakdown examples, or when I hear I sudden noise I might get upset), people sometimes get upset because of things I say but I don't understand why and my wife tells me they are offended, i get tired in social situations (even if I have come to enjoy some) and I am very very goal oriented and get upset if something or someone changes my plans or there is an unexpected interruption when I work, my wife also has told me several times I tend to act robot like and I need to show more emotion and express affection to my family and friends.

Right now I feel really good and have an amazing life, I don't really feel in distress but I am not sure what should I do.

Anyways, thanks to anyone who reads this long post and any insight you can give me.

Welcome to AspieCentral!

It certainly seems like you've done your research, and that you've already self-diagnosed. There's absolutely no requirement to take it any further if you're comfortable with a self-diagnosis.

For me, my first step in seeking a professional diagnosis was talking to my GP, who talked to me for about 10 minutes about it and then told me that I was showing some signs of it and gave me a phone number I could call to find a psychologist.

When I did see the psychologist, he told me that, just by talking to me, he was pretty sure that I have Asperger's, but that a formal assessment and diagnosis would be expensive probably wouldn't get me a lot other than official confirmation of what he could tell just by talking to me.

I did proceed with the assessment and diagnosis because I really did want the certainty, but there's certainly no requirement for you to take it any further than you have. As far as I'm concerned, if it's well researched, a self-diagnosis is just as valid as a professional diagnosis.

That said, there's also the option of talking to a psychologist for just an initial opinion and advice; there's no requirement to take it all the way to diagnosis.

Thanks a lot for the response! I will definitely think more about what I should do but I am kind of scared of getting a diagnosis to be honest and wondering if I could just have anxiety or something else. Also I am not sure if I should say something to my family, i fear they could dismiss me or something.

Remember this: whether you have ASD or not, you are the same person you always have been. Nothing will change that.

If you have it, you've had it all your life, and having the label of ASD doesn't suddenly turn you into a different person. If you don't have it, same deal - you're still exactly the same person as you always have been.

Try not to worry too much.
:)

cc511f572375c818fe363ca8a79690d6.png

New Threads

Top Bottom