• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to find amber

Greening

Hello there

I have had this idea about trying to find amber at the coastlines of the island, where I live, in Denmark. I know it is a very specific, niche-like, question, but do any of you have some experience with that, that you can share? I really like the idea of walking out into the water and be submerged in this new experience.

Amber floats in salt water, so you will likely find it (if it is there) along the tideline on the beach. Amber can be found along several stretches of the Baltic coastline. (There is quite a market of it in Poland.)

Thank you. Yes. A funny thing about amber in Denmark is that it is completely tax free unlike pretty much anything else. They tried to make laws about it at some point, where for instance every piece of amber should be considered to belong to the state and handed over. Then they tried to make a certain tax on it and finally they gave up. :) So the law now says whoever finds amber owns it all.

@
Hello there

I have had this idea about trying to find amber at the coastlines of the island, where I live, in Denmark. I know it is a very specific, niche-like, question, but do any of you have some experience with that, that you can share? I really like the idea of walking out into the water and be submerged in this new experience.

I thought you were talking about a person named Amber , was thinking is she a mermaid

I have actually done that in Denmark years ago. But I don't have much helpful info to share, I just searched the beach. There was a lot of small pebbles and stuff along the tide line and we found small pieces of amber in that. Danish beaches are so nice. :sailboat::beermug:

That is a funny coincidence. I read somewhere that it should be good to do after a storm. I will just try it when it becomes possible. And if I meet a mermaid out there, I will just wave to her.

Were I looking for Amber I would take advantage of its fluorescence; yellow, blue, green and orange. I'd get out at twilight or night with my UV flashlight. Some Amber may be only weakly fluorescent, though.

One day at the beach I will just shout out "Amber, where are you?" into the ocean, and a mermaid whose skin is the shiniest amber will just slowly appear from the water, saying: "I am right here!". Then disappear again for 200 years because that is what mermaids do.

From the top of my head, Amber is fossilized pine resin and ambergris comes from the digestive track of sperm whales and is used in perfumes and other things.

Again if I remember correctly, ambergris was so valuable whalers would kill the whale just for the ambergris and the rest was wasted. Makes me cry.

New Threads

Top Bottom