• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How should a woman hug another woman socially?

nope

I've only hugged guys and I had sex with all of them. I worry there's something I'm doing when I hug that I shouldn't do when I hug someone socially.

I don't know, I've never hugged anyone. I've just told them that I'm uncomfortable with physical contact and they understood.

I'm male, and now that you brought it up, other than family and a very few, like three, friends, I 've not hugged anyone that I didn't have some intimate experience with ( all four of them).

I don't dislike hugs, but I am overwhelmed by the experience.

I'm not sure there's a special code to hugging socially. Not that I'm aware of at least ;) Also depends on the person. Long hugs tend to make me uncomfortable but I get to see one of my friends only once every two months so she's allowed to hang on to me for dear life in greeting.
Other than that I usually go for a quick hug and a peck on the cheek.

I've had a long running joke about the type of hug and what it means.

Side hug, when you are standing next to someone, and you briefly put an arm around their shoulder. Least intimate.

A-frame hug, when each person leans in from the waist and briefly hugs with a pat on the back. Looks like a real hug, but the torso and lower body maintain a more comfortable distance. This is good for family, and people who you don't know well.

The offset hug, where you hug with your head to the outside of the other person's shoulder, maintaining maximum distance between heads. This is usually good for the congratulatory hug, like at weddings, or for males hugging other males ( who are not gay). It must be performed quickly, preferably with no eye contact prior to or following the hug.

Sorry, I know this is a serious thread, but I have wanted to write these things out for some time.

I don't think I hug people any differently based on their gender. Having said that though, I would prefer to not hug anyone other than my husband. Unfortunately for me, his whole family are huggers.

I've only hugged guys and I had sex with all of them. I worry there's something I'm doing when I hug that I shouldn't do when I hug someone socially.
Non-sexual hugs do not include "grinding." ;)

edit: I grew up in a huggy family. My LFA daughter is the only one who appreciates hugs to the same degree.

Last edited:
When I hug other women, I follow their lead. Most women allow some space between us and I think I'm most comfortable with that. Some women (namely an aunt and a very close friend) will hug really tight. It also doesn't last for more than a few seconds. When I get excited, I also jump up and down. As a teenager, I used to jump on guys. Like, full on, legs and arms around them. I didn't even think it was inappropriate or in any way sexual. I don't do that anymore. So yeah, don't do that :)

I always feel awkward with hugs, and there is always this brief moment of confusion as to how to avoid knocking heads, and then there is the unexpected peck on the cheek which makes me startle from the moisture and the loud smacking sound.

Honestly? In my experience, the length of the hug matters most. Rule of thumb: it's proportional to your closeness to that person. IE - significant other gets long hugs, acquaintances get short hugs (if it's your first time meeting a person, it's okay to not hug them at all).

And no, hugging doesn't necessarily lead to sex, nor does it connotate a desire for such (well... Unless you're grinding on them... ;) )

Most of my life I hated being being touched. In my teens I hated people for the first time of my own volition and I kid you not half the people thought I was plotting to stab them in the back and the rest were weeping at me being normal. Now, I hug people I know often but nod, wave or shake people's hands to acknowledge them

New Threads

Top Bottom