• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do you feel about toothpaste?

Ricardo L

I don't know if I am the only one, but I have always felt very disgusted by toothpaste.
Another thing that disgusts me is lipstick.

Is this possibly related to the spectrum?

During my childhood use to eat toothpaste. Maybe this is the reason why I never have cavities?

There some toothpaste I can't stand depending on the flavour.

I don't like toothpastes that are excessively foamy.

When I was at camp when I was 10 I ate toothpaste.
This was to fill in because we all thought we were
candy deprived. So we ate toothpaste until it was
candy shop hours and we could buy candy.

I didn't do that at home.

I could NEVER stand mint toothpaste, it tasted too strong for me. I've always got toothpaste that was bubblegum or that common kids blue toothpaste even though I'm 13. I never really ate toothpaste or took a big amount. One thing that I do dislike is listerine though, I always hated how strong the flavor was and it felt like it'd burn my mouth after a few seconds >.<

Hmm, with it being related to the spectrum depends. What exactly is it about toothpaste you don't like? the texture of it?

It makes me nauseous. I've been known to read the ingredients of it and anything else I can find while testing the plumbing.

It serves its purpose...

Some lipsticks I really love some not so much, which reminds me I'm nearly out of my favorite...

Oddly enough that's one case where I like an abrasive feel. Otherwise I don't feel like the toothpaste in question is doing its job. Go figure. o_O

I feel I get enough fluoride from my water. Occasionally I'll use a bit of baking soda. I once had some toothpaste for sensitive teeth I got from a dentist. It had very little taste, and was creamy, but thinner than most store bought toothpastes. I really liked it.

I just can't stand the feeling of unk on my teeth, especially up against my cheeks

I don't know if I am the only one, but I have always felt very disgusted by toothpaste.
Another thing that disgusts me is lipstick. Is this possibly related to the spectrum?

Sometimes I do think we need to stop comparing these likes and dislikes to our conditions.

There are recognised components in say, HFA and Aspergers, even ADHD, things like cutting out labels from clothes, fear of crowds, maladjustment to strong lighting, those kind of things that are more common.

I don't use toothpaste nor do I find it disgusting. I do prefer mouthwash however.

Regular toothpast makes me sick, but I only use a natural based one now, which does not have floride in and although occasionally I can wretch, certainly not as bad as when was using regular ones.

I hate brushing my teeth, but hate a dirty mouth.

Can stand lipstick; the times I have worn it, I have licked it off and it feels really nasty on me.

During my childhood use to eat toothpaste. Maybe this is the reason why I never have cavities?

There some toothpaste I can't stand depending on the flavour.
penguin,i was exactly the same right up till now,at 33- id eat it till i got sick,although i dont quite do that anymore, but for me it caused a disease called dental fluorosis-a long term overdose of fluoride as a growing child which removes all the enamel and puts craters in the teeth, and cause brown spots all over,i had a bad case of it and photos of them were taken to teach the students at manchester dental hospital.
im on a high fluoride toothpaste now prescribed by the dentist which is a bad thing in my case but she thinks its a good thing as i have lots of sugary energy drinks.

a toothpaste eating compulsion;which comes under pica, is common in those of us with LFA especially,more so as it tends to be us who also have comorbid pica.

so to answer the original post,i dont have a problem with a lot of toothpaste,but it has to be the same one every time.my mum and dad only ever got aquafresh when i was a child/teen.

im on a high fluoride toothpaste now prescribed by the dentist which is a bad thing in my case but she thinks its a good thing as i have lots of sugary energy drinks.
I think my high fluoride saved my teeth from those slurpees during my childhood

The last time I tried mentioning how I felt on toothpaste a mod told me I wasn't allowed to talk about it because some dumbass thought fluoride caused autism. :unamused:

The last time I tried mentioning how I felt on toothpaste a mod told me I wasn't allowed to talk about it because some dumbass thought fluoride caused autism. :unamused:

I googled "fluoride caused autism". Just for giggles. Most of the websites on the first page of the results, were cookie cutter fringe, alt, leftist, fake news type websites. Not dissimilar to ones being posted in Autism Spectrum News, Events and Research.

Example of an actual news story, with verifiable sources, instead of a condescending bio and link to the writers blog like the above.
Just as CNN is the king of fake news, the CDC is the king of fake science – NaturalNews.com
At one time I too believed every thing I read on a "news website". Because, internet.
Now its being flooded daily with fake news. Most by internet marketing hacks, just trying to get you to visit their website so just maybe, you will click on an ad. That's why the ads on these websites look like news stories. Coincidentally stories with an agenda are easy click-bait.

I think I have that part of asperger's where it is hard for me to know when to finish something to start something else. I think it effects the length of my posts at times.o_O

Last edited:
I dislike the taste and feeling of tooth paste so I have to se a toot oaste with a very kid flavour but I always use it as I ahate dentists more.

New Threads

Top Bottom