• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How alien do you feel?

Guppyfry

I feel like I have not one single thing in common with the people around me, ESPECIALLY other women. I hardly ever talk to anyone, I feel that they live in a different universe that I do not understand. I work in a mostly male-dominated industry (Helicopter maintenance and operations). Most of the women here are office workers (like myself, but I deal with specific maintenance tracking and requirements). There seems to be an unwritten rule that 'girls' get each other and need to stick together. (How I hate being refered to as a 'girl' - so patronizing and demeaning if you are an adult woman).

I've been working here for over 10 years, young people come in, get married, have kids, I don't know any of this. I barely recognize them (one more reason I isolate myself, very embarassing to not recognize people you work with almost on a daily basis).

To tell the truth, I feel threatened by people's 'normal' life, because I so can not relate. It scares me that I have to interact with someone who did all the stuff I never did, and cannot imagine myself doing. I've no interest in what others like to talk about - kids, fashion, makeup, the latest movie heart-throb, shopping, etc. I notice with some people, when they do something, it's not about what they did, it is who said what, who sat where, who talked to whom - odd - as if that was the most important thing in the world.

I can act very normal, be assertive when required, work with others well, and with some people I feel very confident and natural and have fun bantering back and forth. I pass for NT well enough, functional enough to have been doing the same job for all these years whild I see others get hired then fired (or have their position "eliminated").

But seems that inside burns a fire of bewilderement. Parallel planes of existance that will never intersect.

I feel very much like an alien and I can definitely relate to your post. I don't have anything in common with anyone either. I'm an introvert and I can't stand "groups" of any kind like you have to live up to someone else's standards to be considered a part of their group. Pardon my language, but F^^k that! I applaud you on your decade of your work. I'm so much of an alien that I require a home based business.

Umm, yeah. Right there with you. Nothing in common with them. Completely different life experiences, background, interests. No real reason to talk about anything personal. Alien, alienated.

Agree, I experience this as well. I've had over a dozen different jobs, just can't keep one for anything. Hated school, hated college. Even church, where people are supposed to be open and accepting of any behavior other than sin, I haven't had a great run. I'm about as alien as if I were born on Mars.

Yup, I'm right there with you. It makes me ponder the infamous Mazlow's Hierarchy of Needs, in which a sense of belonging is considered a basic need. Specifically, I wonder if the degree of belonging needed is greater or lesser for Aspies. I think it's lesser, but back on topic:

I do feel like an alien. I very much feel like I'm talking to people who are fundamentally not the same as me when I deal with NTs, like they're a different species. Reminds me a bit of this show I used to watch on Animal Planet where some guy would try to rehabilitate chimpanzees and as a part of the process would mimic their behaviors to try to gain the acceptance of the group. If he failed, they would make a bunch of noise and attack him and throw their poop at him. Yes, at its essence a very similar experience, come to think of it.

I try to be "normal" but it feels like im trying to fit a square shaped item to an circle shaped hole.

i dont understand or relate to humans at all, i feel like a alien in this world and operate on a different parallel universe to everyone,thats how it feels.

guppyfry,can i ask,do you own fish? i have lots of guppies,your name intrested me.

I do feel like an alien. Other people, even other Aspies, seem to be able to be outgoing and have conversations with others. I just always feel like I'm on the outside looking in.

I don't have a whole lot in common with the people I work with. I hate being labeled as " quiet " when in reality I am just not very interested in the topics of discussion. There is a part of me that wishes I could have a been a family man but I realize it was likely for the best as I don't think I would have been good at it .

Not very. My development was atypical but never once did I feel like I was different to other people, looking back I can say I was. Trouble is I have a real difficulty trying to accept I am different, I don't doubt at all that I have Asperger's however. Maybe I'm searching for something that just can't be obtained.

New Threads

Top Bottom