• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Holidays, Aspies & Autistic

Halloween is my favorite. We had little money but I was allowed to come up with costumes as I wanted no matter how strange or delightful. Parents walked down the middle of the street and all the kids ran from house to house. It was a neighborhood in the 50's where everyone knew each other. It was one evening when I felt free.

July 4th is bad for me. Fireworks always cause anxiety and messy finger food is an issue. I eat chicken with two forks. People still laugh at me as an adult over this. I have to go to his relatives this year and have mixed feelings about this. I may bring a green salad and just eat that.

Most other holidays are too commercial for me so I minimally participate. For Christmas last year, we helped with a dinner at a local church (small town in MA) where many who were single, elderly couples, homeless or broke came to eat. The best Christmas in ages for us. We will do it this year too.

To Dadwith2autisticsons: Could you and your wife be my parents :) - I am only 64 years old. Your kids are so lucky.

Halloween is my favorite. We had little money but I was allowed to come up with costumes as I wanted no matter how strange or delightful. Parents walked down the middle of the street and all the kids ran from house to house. It was a neighborhood in the 50's where everyone knew each other. It was one evening when I felt free.

July 4th is bad for me. Fireworks always cause anxiety and messy finger food is an issue. I eat chicken with two forks. People still laugh at me as an adult over this. I have to go to his relatives this year and have mixed feelings about this. I may bring a green salad and just eat that.

Most other holidays are too commercial for me so I minimally participate. For Christmas last year, we helped with a dinner at a local church (small town in MA) where many who were single, elderly couples, homeless or broke came to eat. The best Christmas in ages for us. We will do it this year too.

To Dadwith2autisticsons: Could you and your wife be my parents :) - I am only 64 years old. Your kids are so lucky.

Hi there. That is one holiday I have yet to talk about: Halloween. We have yet to take our children out for that yet because of their ages, and as Aaron was afraid of masks, and Dylan a bit hyperactive, but his year might be the year where we ask him if he can help create a costume he likes. He is not into candy, but we could trade that in for something else, or ask any at the doors if they had another treat :)

I once went to a firework show when I was living alone, and for a few months my ears were ringing. Ever since I hesitate to be too near to such, and worry about the children being near such. That is really nice about you helping others at the church like that. My wife volunteered at churches a lot when she lived in Canada and western New York. She taught literacy, Sunday school and summer camps, and helped with church events.

You seem like a nice person Too Ms. Grey. Thanks. Of course we would be glad to have you as our parent, or sibling, or friend, whichever of those you desire :) Neither of us have parents, mine deceased from heart issues, and my wife's parents are clearly out of the picture and in another country, as my wife is glad there. The only siblings I have is a twin brother out of state who is a great guy, too. My sister, no thanks. Narcissistic. She is in a different state at least. My wife has no siblings.

We have a few online friends, but no persons locally. Doing everything here alone. Our experiences with our children we see as very rewarding and fun. We like helping others too..So, seriously, if you need a sibling or parental figure, or friend, we would certainly welcome you. Feel free to chat with us privately anytime, as you seem like a great person. I think your Karma and niceness already speaks for itself, based on your limited messages..

Last edited:
What is it that you like best?
Being able to go to sleep as late as I want and sleep in as late as I want. Never ever have I been a morning person, always been quite the opposite. I open my Christmas presents on Christmas Afternoon. Sometimes I go to sleep as late as 5 or even 6 AM on weekends. The next thing I love about holidays is no responsibility. No schoolwork/homework, no work work, not being under someone else's thumb. I may have anxiety issues, but at the same time I'm also a hedonist. Whenever I don't feel like worrying, I maximize the amount of pleasure experienced as much as I possibly can.

Now, about specific holidays. My favorite holiday is Christmas. For Christmas, I like the wintry weather if it's not too chilly, and seeing all the decorations. I also like it when the new year starts, feels like I'm hitting the reset button sort of. I love Thanksgiving too because of the turkey dinner and the fact that we're about to transition into winter. Back when I was in school I used to love summer vacations because they were long, and spring break because of the lovely March weather. Of course I love vacationing to other cities with my parents, and I'll get to that later.

What is it that you do not like?
I really hate that moment when I know the holiday period is about to end. That is where I become a super-hedonist and just do zillions of fun things all during the last day simply because I refuse to allow it to end. Specifically for Christmas, I don't like the shopping phase with everywhere being so crowded, the chances of getting sick skyrocket, and the fact that there are zillions of possible presents to choose from; can't stand needle-in-haystack types of situations (I'm guessing this is the only positive aspect of me having a small social circle).

Now with my severe OCD, there is also an extra worry I exhibit around holidays - the compulsion for things to go 100%, especially on the first day (I posted an explanation about it in a thread related to OCD as a reply). Especially now when I work and we don't get a 3-month summer vacation or spring break. I tend to take vacations around Christmas time and it just has to NOT go to waste. Period.

Any preparations for Father's Day in a few days?
Our Father's Day and Mother's Day celebrations are pretty simple; I give my mom or dad a few gifts and a greeting card, hug and kiss them and thank them for being wonderful parents and putting up with me all these years lol. We don't really go out anywhere to celebrate these. This year I bought my dad a couple of CD's, he loves music - and TWO greeting cards instead of one.

What are your expectations for holidays?
Like I said before, I expect them to be excellent. The first day of any holiday period I expect to be near PERFECT actually, it's an OCD thing, I know. I It's not a realistic expectation and everyone tells me that but I can't control this. Holidays only come once a year each and having such opportunities ruined would just devastate me, break my heart and soul into smithereens.

ABSOLUTELY no getting sick!!!!! And no other crap that would last longer than a day. Even one day is too much, and that day absolutely cannot be the first day. I once got sick during Spring Break when I was 16. Spring Break! Can you believe it? Each time I measured my temperature and it was still high I just snapped. I screamed, I hit objects with my fists, I screamed at my mother for making me stay home instead of going outside, claiming that being outside would not make it worse because it's spring and not summer...this was no teenage behavior, this was a "me" behavior. I've never really exhibited the typical teenage type of behavior during my teenage years. I just HAD to go outside during spring and summer breaks.

Can they differ from societal expectations?
They absolutely differ, I've never met anyone who makes such a big deal out first days, and worries that much about having trouble-free holidays in general. Most of the people I know go by the "que sera, sera" belief; I do NOT conform to that belief. I will NOT tolerate such bad luck, and I'm a firm believer in Murphy's Law, as if it was a law of nature.

Do you make lots of plans?
Absolutely, and I get totally crushed whenever something deviates from these plans - just totally trainwrecked. These are holidays and I'm supposed to be the boss. With my first day of holiday obsession, I carefully plan out each and every hour, and specifically what to do in order to avoid any risks - like keeping to myself almost all day long, I try to avoid contact with people unless I know FOR SURE that whatever I might say would NOT lead to any sort of conflict. For the rest of the holidays I make slightly less concrete plans, but they're still plans. They're by-day plans, not by-hour plans. For life in general, I'm very plan-oriented and cannot stand deviations. Don't even get me started on first days of holidays, I wouldn't tolerate even the slightest deviation (unless the deviation is good, good changes will always be welcome for Tyrantus!)

Back to the spring break example in one of the previous paragraphs. This sickness was a deviation. No, I refuse to tolerate any deviations. I did not tolerate that one, and my parents did not tolerate my behavior in response. Every summer and spring break I HAVE to go outdoors. Every summer holiday I HAVE to eat ice cream, and I did it even when I had a minor infection (the infection allowed me to function, so that's good), and I tried to eat it in minor spoonfuls. I used to throw tantrums even if it rained - I don't anymore, but if I got sick during a holiday I would still act like a total maniac.

Now, to talk about how this applies to scheduled vacations. My folks and I almost postponed a trip to San Antonio once because my father hurt his back, and the way I responded was like a total jerk. I didn't even realize what I was saying, I've been looking forward to going to San Antonio for God knows how long. It hurt his feelings and I regret having done so very much, he's a great father who doesn't deserve me as a son. His back got better by the scheduled time though.

The following year we ACTUALLY had to postpone a trip, also to San Antonio, due to a cold he got - and I reacted in a civil manner that time but it was just torturing and killing me inside, and I started getting paranoid, like - what if this would have been our only chance to take this trip and each time we postpone something else comes up? Murphy's Law, bad things always happen at the wrong times to the wrong people We only postponed that one by a week though, so the reality was no big deal. San Antonio is in Texas, so this was just a drive. Postponing a vacation that requires a plane flight is not that easy of a task.

We're planning to take a trip later this year to another state and I'm really nervous inside about any sort of thing happening that would...dear God...prevent it from happening. I'm fine with postponing it for maybe a week, 2 tops. Rescheduling vacation days at work all the time is no picnic either. If I'm able to go after a 2-week postponement but someone in my family cannot, under Murphy's Law - then I'm taking the trip myself. Murphy's Law is meant to be broken!

Or are you more spontaneous, and prefer being surprised with new things and new ways to celebrate each year?
What I said in the above paragraph relates here. Only good surprises are welcome. Bad surprises just bring me into a state of complete panic. I'm not under my teachers' or my boss's thumb, yet I'm still under someone else's thumb; with the Spring Break example, I was being ruled by the flu virus when I'm supposed to be my own boss.

Anyway, new ways of celebrating each year are not a problem, but I'm generally not a spontaneous person - although my reactions to bad surprises do tend to be very spontaneous and impulsive.

My favourite "holiday" (which it isn't really) is Remembrance Day on November 11th, which has deep meaning to me... I do lots of photography around it and on the day of it... I kind of become a journalist for the day on the November 11th... I have a father who was in WW2 for the Soviet army, survived a POW camp and was able to emigrate to Canada after the war... Thus why

Also, as a Christian, I focus a lot on the religious holidays, both Easter and Christmas... I try to avoid the commercial aspects of both... For me Good Friday is important, for the Christian meaning, along with Easter Sunday, the resurrection... Ditto for Christmas...

Canada Day has meaning for me as a proud Canadian, I just do lots of photography that day while wandering around different celebrations... New Year's Eve? If there's a civic celebration I'll show up, mostly to take photos of the festivities, I prefer to go on my own and crowd wander and do street photography, seeing a trend here? :rolleyes:

My family is quite small so there aren't many get togethers, for me it's just an extra day off from work, I'll often use those holidays for photography purposes, photography is how I relax...

Finally my birthday... I couldn't care less, it's just another day for me, if it passes without anyone saying anything that doesn't bother me at all...

DONT agree society has to accept some responsibility
and why was i venting its that attitude again because i DONT agree with you i must be incorrect it is possible IM correct but IVE learned people just wont admit it
what you call a child is different in one respect they have access to a lot more knowledge and there guardians no longer discipline them the way i was disciplined its all about placating their tantrum and having no respect ,society has veered too far in the other direction ,so being a Christian i know I'll be disliked greatly hoped id get a break here
Buzzerfly knows things quite well, as we know her through her personal story and struggles, an amazing book which is wonderful and inspiring by the way. And so she knows a lot, and has been through a lot, like us. She has lots of wisdom and knowledge from her many experiences, as do we all.

And I know you have been through a lot and know much, too, from reading all your messages. I value your opinions, and am not saying you have to like those who have treated you wrong. But, please try to consider the feelings of those children and caregivers who are great, good and are trying their best. There are many great children and adults too.

We all here were children once, and are not 100% pure, regardless of condition and/or bad environment. I see the good in anyone who tries to learn, be better, or accept others that are different. This is different than accepting those that commit severe wrong. Clearly, 99.9% of children are not bad. I do agree though that many children and adults can be less selfish and caring. I have seen that. I do not relate to that.

I feel any person that does severe wrong should be held accountable, regardless if child or adult. If mental illness is the cause, they often will be required to get help there. But, yes, lots of persons do bad things and get away with things, but then let's blame the educational, medical and legal system then there, too. They are not doing their jobs.

Thanks for venting though. It sometimes is good to do that.

I am so indifferent about most events like secular holidays and birthdays and anniversaries that I often completely forget about them. I don't feel anything about celebrating them, and we rarely do. We are very observant of holy days in our faith practice/community, so I am moved by their meaning and beauty and the various traditions with which we observe them. But I am so internally situated that I can't see the difference between a Thanksgiving dinner and having a really good meal otherwise. I really good slice of pizza at home would be just as good to me. Better, perhaps, because I don't have to get dressed up and be social and get exhausted from all of that. So.....I must be missing whatever is giving other people joy in those things :)

Tyrantus1212...It seems like you like holidays and summer vacations very much, and try to get the most out of them. I wish there was a way though that you did not need them so precise, as it could affect the holiday enjoyment of your family. It is easier said than done if severe ocd is involved. Have you tried any treatments for that, or do you not believe in such? Or is your obsessions and compulsions way stronger during those holidays and vacations?

I mean whether many Autism or OCD type rituals are genetic related or some environmental related, or whether some can be minimized or stopped without medication is debatable, but the only way one would know is to attempt resolution of such through various ways, if those became very bothersome to you and others in family. Some people just are ok with accepting them, thinking that is who they are, but many others want to not resort to that preciseness as it reaks havoc.

I do not have any Aspie or Autism condition, but for those who have both OCD and that condition, often it could seem hard to know which obsessions, compulsions, routines or rituals could be reduced or not, and which were ocd related or Autism related. As I just have some mild social anxiety now, as that condition improved over time in my attempts to help such, and naturally through time, any OCD signs and symptoms mainly is writing related now, thankfully.

For me I was not into drugs, as I like doing things through self-help, and more naturally. In my case, and not necessarily for others will this work, I resort to try changing my thought processes through self-help techniques, like finding ways to worry less, think more positively, divert the mind to other things, and the like. And internal talk to lower my expectations. Also, self-help to improve social skills and more natural ways to increase serotonin seemed to help.

Last edited:
My favourite "holiday" (which it isn't really) is Remembrance Day on November 11th, which has deep meaning to me... I do lots of photography around it and on the day of it... I kind of become a journalist for the day on the November 11th... I have a father who was in WW2 for the Soviet army, survived a POW camp and was able to emigrate to Canada after the war... Thus why

Also, as a Christian, I focus a lot on the religious holidays, both Easter and Christmas... I try to avoid the commercial aspects of both... For me Good Friday is important, for the Christian meaning, along with Easter Sunday, the resurrection... Ditto for Christmas...

Canada Day has meaning for me as a proud Canadian, I just do lots of photography that day while wandering around different celebrations... New Year's Eve? If there's a civic celebration I'll show up, mostly to take photos of the festivities, I prefer to go on my own and crowd wander and do street photography, seeing a trend here? :rolleyes:

My family is quite small so there aren't many get togethers, for me it's just an extra day off from work, I'll often use those holidays for photography purposes, photography is how I relax...

Finally my birthday... I couldn't care less, it's just another day for me, if it passes without anyone saying anything that doesn't bother me at all...

Thanks for your holiday post. I and my wife relate in a few ways, as I had an older brother that died in the military, not during any war, much less major war, but when he was nineteen he died while stationed in Sicily, and so I often think about him during Memorial Day. My mother had died one day after Memorial Day, several years ago, so that adds to the meaning, too. Your father was brave for his service and all he went through, so I can see why that day is special and meaningful for you.

My wife is from Canada and into photography. She is a citizen of both the US and Canada, as she has not given up her Canadian citizenship there. She takes photos of everything, like scenic places we go to, children's doings, holiday things, and so on. She keeps backup copies on cds and organizes many photos into different albums.

We try to make the three major religious holidays special for our children, and to create some peaceful, happy and memorable tradition there. For the other holidays we are more free, and with trying to create new holidays for the kids and us as a family. So, I guess, for us, keep some tradition, make new tradition, or change up at least a little past tradition, to fit our family's desires and needs, more than society's.

Last edited:
DONT agree society has to accept some responsibility
and why was i venting its that attitude again because i DONT agree with you i must be incorrect it is possible IM correct but IVE learned people just wont admit it
what you call a child is different in one respect they have access to a lot more knowledge and there guardians no longer discipline them the way i was disciplined its all about placating their tantrum and having no respect ,society has veered too far in the other direction ,so being a Christian i know I'll be disliked greatly hoped id get a break here

My wife and I have a middle-of-the-road parenting style, meaning we are not lenient, but not overbearing. We believe that for our children to be their best, we must show consistency, be fair, and be constructive.

We have them learn good by being good role models, seeing our great efforts, and by having them hear our messages and not intense emotions. We teach them in ways best for each of them, by considering all input, but listening less to those that know little about our situation and children, or have agenda.

There are tons of great parents and children out there. Lots though could be more understanding, and caring. I will not lose any sleep over them though, as I try not to let others and other unexpected situations determine my health and happiness, as I know I have no control over that.

Thanks for posting.

I am so indifferent about most events like secular holidays and birthdays and anniversaries that I often completely forget about them. I don't feel anything about celebrating them, and we rarely do. We are very observant of holy days in our faith practice/community, so I am moved by their meaning and beauty and the various traditions with which we observe them. But I am so internally situated that I can't see the difference between a Thanksgiving dinner and having a really good meal otherwise. I really good slice of pizza at home would be just as good to me. Better, perhaps, because I don't have to get dressed up and be social and get exhausted from all of that. So.....I must be missing whatever is giving other people joy in those things :)

Personally, I relate with most all you said, as I often feel that way, too, but as we have children and I have a wife, I try to balance my wishes and desires, with any of their views or needs, too, to come to a consensus.

It's hard for us, as I do not want to impose religion too much on our children, because of their age, and inability to understand such, but I balance that with, once they are older they may want to gravitate to some stronger faith, so at least present it a little during major holidays, but not too much.

But, give me a pizza any holiday and I am happy. Just put fat free cheese on it :)

I love Christmas music, the lights, the anticipation of giving, and making others happy, and so on, but admittedly, I do not over think about the meanings of each, with exception to Memorial Day. I am sorry if that offends others, but that is just how I feel. I just do not like government or other folks to dictate that.

Last edited:
Where do you get pizza with fat free !!! Cheese i can make one but its 10% fat and id like to try it wonder if i could get it imported

Where do you get pizza with fat free !!! Cheese i can make one but its 10% fat and id like to try it wonder if i could get it imported

We make our own pizzas here. They have fat-free Kraft bags of shredded cheese in most of the big supermarkets in the US I think. And some other brand like Bordens sells fat free cheese slices in some stores. For that we would have to cut up though, so we like the big fat-free bags that are shredded the best. I try to eat healthier foods, as both my parents died from heart issues.

We make our own pizzas here. They have fat-free Kraft bags of shredded cheese in most of the big supermarkets in the US I think. And some other brand like Bordens sells fat free cheese slices in some stores. For that we would have to cut up though, so we like the big fat-free bags that are shredded the best. I try to eat healthier foods, as both my parents died from heart issues.[/QUOTE
got high cholesterol no choice fat makes me nauseous
thanks anyway

IVE got high cholesterol phone DIDNT send this again

I take 1000-2000 mg of niacin daily to reduce LDL cholesterol. That bad cholesterol went from 130 to 80 in a year time, from taking the niacin, as I always was a healthy eater. Anyone may want to check with their doctor first, before taking doses that high, but I found doctors like to push statin drugs.

I am not into statin medication for heart issues, because of more risks, but others may be taking that, and that is ok too if they want that. Niacin comes in the flush-free variety, and non flush free. I take the latter though, even if it temporarily flushes my face. Research says the flush-free variety may have a dangerous chemical in it, so I do not take that.

Last edited:
I react badly to high doses of b vitamins wish i could take it i think its inherited sur a lot of my family are borderline on the autism spectrum but they'd say i was a HYPOCHONDRIAC i know i have adrenal fatigue but orthodox medicine denies adrenal fatigue as a diagnosis
I take 1000-2000 mg of niacin daily to reduce LDL cholesterol. That bad cholesterol went from 130 to 80 in a year time, from taking the niacin, as I always was a healthy eater. Anyone may want to check with their doctor first, before taking doses that high, but I found doctors like to push statin drugs.

I am not into statin medication for heart issues, because if more risks, but others may be taking that, and that is ok too if they want that. Niacin comes in the flush-free variety, and non flush free. I take the latter though, even if it temporarily flushes my face. Research says the flush-free variety may have a dangerous chemical in it, so I do not take that.

As a child, HATED them, all of them. Holidays, especially Christmas, represented watching people interact and have fun. They all felt like I was outside in the cold with my nose pressed up against the window looking at the warm fire and smiling faces. Some family friends tried so hard to include me but I'm just not wired to function in a social group.

As an adult, love them. But that's because I design autistic friendly holidays. I NEVER go anywhere crowded. I follow the same routine every year, I take the kids trick or treating at the same time in costumes they select and I book a week off work. At Christmas, I suffer Christmas dinner but disappear off immediately after. We see the same santa every year, early in the season so that not many people are there.

Each holiday I know what to expect and so can relax and enjoy it. So plans. Plans to make plans and planned execution of the plans. No surprises, my "happy surprised, oh how lovely" face makes my cheeks ache.

As a child, HATED them, all of them. Holidays, especially Christmas, represented watching people interact and have fun. They all felt like I was outside in the cold with my nose pressed up against the window looking at the warm fire and smiling faces. Some family friends tried so hard to include me but I'm just not wired to function in a social group.

As an adult, love them. But that's because I design autistic friendly holidays. I NEVER go anywhere crowded. I follow the same routine every year, I take the kids trick or treating at the same time in costumes they select and I book a week off work. At Christmas, I suffer Christmas dinner but disappear off immediately after. We see the same santa every year, early in the season so that not many people are there.

Each holiday I know what to expect and so can relax and enjoy it. So plans. Plans to make plans and planned execution of the plans. No surprises, my "happy surprised, oh how lovely" face makes my cheeks ache.

I am not into the crowds for holidays either. We are developing new traditions as well, that are Autistic child friendly. When I was a child, the traditions differed as they were celebrated how my mother wanted them, based on her beliefs, and what she thought would make us happy based on what society was doing.

She did the same stuff each year, which was good in that regard as she tried to get into a yearly celebration ritual, and I personally think for certain big holidays, that could be better than changing things up each year. And some of the nice ways of celebrating then were passed down to our holidays now, but some things we like doing differently now.

Now, we have to be more practical, too, for holidays, with two children with Autism, and as sensory issues, routines, and different preferences, abilities and limitations can be involved. Our children might not be able to tolerate certain past or expected traditional things, and may prefer something totally different. Both our children even like celebrating differently.

What do they like as i DONT see a soul for weeks before the 25 or after and its dead without my mother at least the cats move about
I am not into the crowds for holidays either. We are developing new traditions as well, that are Autistic child friendly. When I was a child, the traditions differed as they were celebrated how my mother wanted them, based on her beliefs, and what she thought would make us happy based on what society was doing.

She did the same stuff each year, which was good in that regard as she tried to get into a yearly celebration ritual, and I personally think for certain big holidays, that could be better than changing things up each year. And some of the nice ways of celebrating then were passed down to our holidays now, but some things we like doing differently now.

Now, we have to be more practical, too, for holidays, with two children with Autism, and as sensory issues, routines, and different preferences, abilities and limitations can be involved. Our children might not be able to tolerate certain past or expected traditional things, and may prefer something totally different. Both our children even like celebrating differently.

Thanks for posting about your holiday experiences. I relate a lot to your depression about holidays, as there was a period from my late teens to late thirties where I celebrated holidays alone and was a bit depressed.

I was living on my own and would often take walks at nights and look at all the homes with lights on and think how unfair it was that a good person was alone for so long and not celebrating holidays and family life, when there could be much less deserving persons inside feeling warmth and joy of those holiday gatherings, and as a family.

I did not give up though, so I tried to talk more to others through computer emails and live messaging chat with those I related to, or could relate to on important level. I found a few friends, and one ending up in a now over ten-year marriage. And with two great and spectacular kids, who create us happy times and fulfilling experiences.
I relate so much and you worded this beautifully, although it is obviously very sad.

New Threads

Top Bottom