• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hey everyone

inkhorn82

Hello,

For most of my post undergraduate life I've been suspicious (maybe too much) that I am undiagnosed in some respect. At first I worried it was ADHD (i get distracted quite easily, unless focusing on something I love to do) but then as the years went by I've noticed several qualities that have gotten me into trouble professionally:

1) I'm terrible at listening and remembering what I've heard (note taking is key here)
2) Planning for the future is like pulling teeth for me
3) Anticipating the responses of others, both emotional and behavioural, is not easy at all for me, unless it's my wife or something very obvious/structured
4) Understanding people well enough to navigate office politics is just a no go for me
5) Remembering/learning annoying work processes involving many steps just doesn't happen easily for me
6) I'm too darned honest for my own good at times
7) Time management is not my strong suit

The list goes on. I'm a pretty friendly and chipper guy, but acquiring friends is somehow not very easy for me. Also, I'm obsessed with data analysis :)

Over the past few years I've taken 2 ASD tests online (one I retook recently so I've tested myself 3 separate times) and every time the result was that I appear to have ASD traits and should perhaps seek a diagnosis. I don't know that it would change how I deal with people, but it would be nice to finally get tested!

Anyway, thanks for reading!

Welcome aboard :)
That post describes me, except for #5

I was eventually officially diagnosed.

Hope you enjoy the community.
image.jpg

Welcome! Lots of resources here if you are still unsure or are looking for more information. Don't be shy :)

Hi & Welcome Inkhorn!

Inkhorn is a great name btw. Not everyone has the same symptoms, especially in the HFA area so not having any particular one is not unusual. Actually missing more then one can happen too. Its like that with me.

'Honest to a fault' is a saying that has come to mind more then once.

Thanks for the welcome, everyone! Rocco, that picture you posted is very relaxing... A few things i missed:

1) I'm very literal minded
2) I often need things spelled out for me that aren't obvious
3) I'm really bad at listening to things of no interest to me
4) I'm pretty bad at multi-tasking
5) I'm pretty good at criticizing myself :p

I take things extremely literal, obsess about things, am very routine driven, ... and the list goes on and on.

Welcome Inkhorn. I share about half our your traits and am the complete opposite on others.

I am not qualified to give advice because I have not resolved any of my deficiencies. But awareness of them has permitted me to slap a band-aid on a few of them, so knowing what one's weaknesses are and being conscious of the flaws is a positive aspect of a diagnosis.

Best of luck to you.

New Threads

Top Bottom