• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello

I don't even know what your mom means by "Being normal". It doesn't work that way. You can't choose to be normal. Try to seek therapy.

Welcome, Kevin!
I don't think there is an actual, tangible difference in the examples you mentioned, it's just that when some people want you to be wrong, they will look for any reason to say that you are wrong. Like someone else said earlier in the thread (LadyPenelope, I believe), you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. But it's not even because of you or something you did/didn't do, it's from working with people with a very limited mind.
We're not exactly the best at working with a**holes.
I got fired a few times for following the rules. I got fired from another position for doing my job too well and making my colleagues look bad (didn't even know this was a thing). And I'll get fired for many more stupid reasons as long as I only find work with people who think they know everything and can't stand to see their little world and narrow views challenged.
I know it's hard not to question yourself. Just try to keep in mind that while there are things you can improve upon with some help, you were not necessarily the cause for everything.

On another note...what are some of your other skills? There should be sone sort of equal opportunity department that could assist you in finding suitable employment with understanding employers.

Special rules

Sorry...hit wrong button.

Special rules just for you is not something other employees will have any right to sue over. It's discrimination on their part and that of the employer.

Have you considered working for yourself in an area you do find fulfilling?

What are your interests?

Thank you all for answering.

My employee/employer issues are having me question my sanity.

I've worked as a pharmacy tech, a security guard, a liscensed paramedic, and, currently (although I expect to get fired on Monday), a cardiac technician at a local hospital.

I have an autistic talent for reading, memorizing, and interpreting EKG material.

I can read EKG material with near perfect accuracy in real time with up to 45 patients at once. I got funny looks from cardiologists because I've been able to find uncommon and/or obscure EKG changes in patients simply because I watch them for 12 hours at a time.

My current problems stem from following the rules.

I have a habit of picking up garbage from the floor (bloody gauze, nasty gloves, etc. can spread disease in a hospital environment), and I've recently picked up vials of narcotics and sedatives that were left lying around in patient areas.

I am not a nurse, and certainly not authorized to have custody of narcotics...so I discretely turned them over to my immediate supervisor...and, overnight, I was a snitch and a narc who couldn't be trusted.

The hospital is suspending me because--in part--everyone refuses to work with me...and threatening to quit if I don't get fired. Nurses are in short supply, and any of them could get jobs anywhere they want, so it isn't an empty threat.

I wish I had never seen the f----ing drugs, and turned a blind eye like everyone else.

You'd think people at a hospital would be more understanding. I'm sorry you are distressed. It sounds like you are having a really difficult time made worse by being beholden to unsympathetic and ignorant people.

Is there an option to change hospitals? Or to read EKG online like radiologists can?

It's a pity being competent at your job isn't enough.

Thank you for answering.

There are no provisions (at this job, but there were at another EKG job) for reading EKG stuff at home. I have to be able to contact the nurse at a moment's notice if I see certain things.

Medical staff (especially nurses) are understaffed, overworked, underpayed, and underappreciated. I actually agree with this view, and am not being sarcastic. They tend to handle stress by bullying, and--being autistic--am a natural target.

They have to keep a professional front while being vomited on, overworked (sometimes as long as four hours past crew change on a 12 hour shift), etc..

It is the nature of their job that they have little left over for family life, so most of them are divorced, struggling, single moms...and so on.

The majority of them (in my department, at least) are miserable and can't stand their field anymore.

I have seen similar situations working as a paramedic.

It makes my work life (coupled with my autism) extemely difficult, however.

New Threads

Top Bottom