• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello

rainy_day

Hi everyone.

I'm not really sure how I should introduce myself... I'm hoping to learn more about ASD whilst waiting for an assessment (which, despite having been referred, I'm guessing is not going to be any time soon!). My concerns at this moment are that recognising things from other people's accounts, I may run the risk of over-selling myself as it were, and that regardless of the outcome, I will have new questions, primarly around what to do next.

Thanks for having me.

Welcome aboard! :)
It can be tough getting a late diagnosis in life, and coping with it becomes a unique experience. This site is a wonderful resource of information and friendly helpful folks. I hope you enjoy it here.
Best wishes.
Rocco
IMG_4939.JPG

Hmm... you name looks familiar...are you Gabi's friend?
Welcome to Aspie Land I'm sure someone here can help you.

Hi everyone.

I'm not really sure how I should introduce myself... I'm hoping to learn more about ASD whilst waiting for an assessment (which, despite having been referred, I'm guessing is not going to be any time soon!). My concerns at this moment are that recognising things from other people's accounts, I may run the risk of over-selling myself as it were, and that regardless of the outcome, I will have new questions, primarly around what to do next.

Thanks for having me.
hi rainy day,welcome to AC! its a great community youve stumbled upon!

are you in the UK? if you are aparently the time it takes to get adult ASD assessment varies greatly between regions-ive seen massive differences between peoples waiting times.

what you could start doing now is writing your developmental history,how you are now in terms of autism symptoms and use it to back yourself up at your appointment.

if you have a bit of money saved away you could think about the possibility of private sessions;im thinking of this for gender dysphoria as im on a one year waiting list and have to travel hundreds of miles away-for you if you went private itd take two sessions-one to assess the other to formally draw up diagnoses.

Is there anything that you would like to know now?
Nothing specifically. I have been talking to a colleague, diagnosed as an adult (within the same company as me, our paths have not crossed in real life!) after a presentation she did: she is convinced that I am too, although this is "recognition" not a diagnosis, so for obvious reasons, I don't want to set too much store by it. It does, however, feel like a match, and after a lifetime of being told by everyone that I'm different, unusual, strange, odd etc. with no-one being able to give me any specifics, it seems that I might be different in very similar ways to a lot of other people. I think in reality, most of the questions would come later.

hi rainy day,welcome to AC! its a great community youve stumbled upon!

are you in the UK? if you are aparently the time it takes to get adult ASD assessment varies greatly between regions-ive seen massive differences between peoples waiting times.

Yes, I am in the UK. A colleague suggested a private assessment because of the time it could take and gave me details of someone who fairly local to me. She was a bit suprised to hear the cost was 7 times what she paid! Following an assessment with Occupational Health last year (which felt like something I should subject myself to because of things that were going on at work), my boss is speaking to HR to see if I can have a referral internally. It can be requested, but there is no guarantee.

New Threads

Top Bottom