• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello?

Nemo

Open mind, guarded heart
Hi.
I'm Nemo. I use Nemo as I am uncomfortable with my real first name. I was recently diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome, anxiety and depression after seeing a mental health professional. It's quite the trio to deal with all at once and I think it's fair to say I'm still processing it.

I have two finnicky interests that no-one I know can relate to- Fonts/Words: I get really irritated when something is in Calibri and can recognise several other fonts, and am a good speller and enjoy using long words. When I was younger, I constantly corrected other people. My other interest which is somewhat related is medical terminology and diagnoses. I don't want to be a doctor but the words involved in the profession have always fascinated me.

I've joined this site to talk to interesting, like-minded people.

Nemo

Welcome aboard ! :)
Which font is this text in?

IMG_2311.JPG

Hey Nemo, welcome to AC! Here's one of my favorite medical terms as a welcome gift: dysdiadochokinesia

Hey Rocco, I'd say, annoyingly, that this font is Calibri:mad: . Cool art!
Thanks for the dysdiadochokinesic gift. I'm afraid I had to look that one up though, as I think more about, say, the symptoms of appendicitis. (the main one is loss of appetite, followed by a sore stomach). Thanks for the nice words!

Depression can be a very difficult thing. Don't be afraid to reach out. There are tons of people are here who would love to encourage you.

Hey Rocco, I'd say, annoyingly, that this font is Calibri:mad: . Cool art!
Thanks for the dysdiadochokinesic gift. I'm afraid I had to look that one up though, as I think more about, say, the symptoms of appendicitis. (the main one is loss of appetite, followed by a sore stomach). Thanks for the nice words!
I'm a medical student, so there's never a lack of lingo here ;)

Calibri... I don't know. It just looks... itchy? Like touching sandpaper and most other fonts are polished wood. Does that make any sense?

Hello!

My other interest which is somewhat related is medical terminology and diagnoses.

I have a thing about this stuff too. Oddly enough when you tell someone with Asperger's they have medical conditions there's a good chance they'll devote hundreds of hours into reading all they can about them. The CMHT have activity told me to stop doing it, I can't help myself!

dysdiadochokinesia

Aha! I knew it was a disorder of movement! That much of the medical lingo I do know!

Welcome Nemo!!! I like words, too. Bring em on :)

hi and welcome to AC nemo,do you like fish? i am just wondering from your name sake.
i am sorry if my spelling makes you feel uncomfortable i know it can do with some aspies,i am LFA so i struggle with using caps continuously and remembering what i am writing as well,its information overload for me.

i hope AC is a lot of help for you,its good for destressing.

Hello!

I have a thing about this stuff too. Oddly enough when you tell someone with Asperger's they have medical conditions there's a good chance they'll devote hundreds of hours into reading all they can about them. The CMHT have activity told me to stop doing it, I can't help myself!

Aha! I knew it was a disorder of movement! That much of the medical lingo I do know!
isnt it strange how the teams differ? the CLDT encourage me to read up about my conditions,and they know i do a lot of research and always seem to bring it up at my CPA meetings-but in a positive way.

whats wrong with us being clued up about stuff? why is it such a taboo to know more about your conditions than your community nurse or whoever?
i bet loads of us would make great pyschologists if it came to just asessing people for ASDs.

whats wrong with us being clued up about stuff?

The only thing I can think of is that you could compromise the accurately of the symptoms you experience if you put a bias on it. For example, in psychosis if you've been reading about delusions you might end up presenting normal paranoia to a doctor as something psychotic either by consciously or unconsciously putting a spin on it. I think that's probably what they're thinking, I could be wrong.

As someone in the medical profession I can say patients that are researching information about their diagnosis and that like to think along with us are (at least with the younger generation of doctors) very welcome. A patient with suggestions is as well.

What isn't as well received is when people come into their appointment with a diagnose they got from Google or a friend, asking for medication or referral, basically disregarding the doctor's medical expertise and opinion on the matter.

I'm not stating my personal opinion here, just the general opinion I've picked up on the job :)

The only thing I can think of is that you could compromise the accurately of the symptoms you experience if you put a bias on it. For example, in psychosis if you've been reading about delusions you might end up presenting normal paranoia to a doctor as something psychotic either by consciously or unconsciously putting a spin on it. I think that's probably what they're thinking, I could be wrong.
thankyou i understand it now,i get that theory- it could happen i suppose, but i hope the CMHT dont believe you are making symptoms up because of your interest,that would be very patronising and undignifying.
through letter,i was told by an dublin GP that i should be a psychologist because i had very complex knowledge of autism and he thanked me for helping him understand my cousin,alan who at the time was wanting to be reassessed for autism- i typed a huge letter about how alan is affected by autism,and how he stims when no ones watching-and what stimming is etc.
the doctor could have said to me id been on wikipedia to much and i half expected that but he was actually a decent guy about it,its good when you get thanked for your knowledge instead of patronisingly told you wikipedia to much.

Hi Toothless, yes, I do have a thing about spelling but I understand that some people have difficulties with spelling and know that it is rude to correct them. Yes, I kinda like fish, but it's more of a nickname I made up to redirect people trying to nickname me. Because I have an asian heritage, I have been called Nori-sushi, I've been called Nozzburger because... well, I've got no idea why. And I just wanted to be called something me. So: Nemo. It's a bit like the Life Of Pi, in which Piscine hates his name and calls himself Pi.
I get what you mean by influencing the symptoms in psychological disorders. I read up on Aspergers when I got the diagnosis and for a while behaved more Aspie. I don't know if that was a reaction to the reading or simply letting loose a little more as I had a justification. As you can see, I like meta-analysis A LOT. Annoyingly though, I can only analyse myself in detail.
OkRad - A cool word I like at the moment is bifurcated. I don't know why.

New Threads

Top Bottom