• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello hello!

mama_lotus

Hi out there,

I am a preschool teacher who just recently bonded with a little girl in my class whom I was certain was an Aspie. I'd never seen Asperger's in a little girl before, and as a teacher only, I cannot diagnose, but steered her parents towards someone who could. She was diagnosed as "severe" on the Aspie end (which surprised me as I know technically AS is no longer a dx) and her parents were very grateful to me for informing them.

In our discussions about her diagnosis, some of the info her mother gave to me was startlingly familiar to me. In particular, she said "oh yes, it's very common for Aspie girls to teach themselves to read around age 3 or 4". I was thinking "I did that!" and on and on the conversation went.

So, I did what I normally do and read 2 books in 2 days and am fairly certain I have a touch of Asperger's. I am being treated for what my wonderful psychiatrist calls "a touch of bipolar disorder with a side of OCD-like anxiety" so I do not know if I will bring it up with him or not.

To be honest, I don't know if I will get any real benefit from a formal dx.

I am happy to delve in here and see what others think about that.

I am in my mid-30s with a diagnosed ADHD husband and 2 lovely little boys with sensory issues but no autism diagnoses yet.

I have uncovered this Aspie thing just in the past week and while I know deep down it fits (I stim like crazy, constantly, I've kept it secret for years and years!!) it's still weird and I feel like I'm trying it on.

Last edited:
Welcome! Yes, it's questionable as to whether it's worth it to receive an official diagnosis, as you already have a career--which you seem to be very good at!--and we have a lot of self-diagnosed folk here, and even some who aren't on the spectrum at all. I hope you can learn a bit during your stay here (which of course I hope will be a long one). :)

Welcome :)

You may not feel you would benefit from a diagnoses, but sometimes simply knowing can help you to better understand yourself; and should any of your children end up with a diagnoses too, it could be quite beneficial.

This place is definitely a great resource to help yourself become more familiar with the spectrum. I also recommend taking a look at our recommended resources library: Resources | AspiesCentral.com

I also like to recommend this book to our female members:
Aspergirls: Empowering Females With Asperger Syndrome | AspiesCentral.com

In our discussions about her diagnosis, some of the info her mother gave to me was startlingly familiar to me. In particular, she said "oh yes, it's very common for Aspie girls to teach themselves to read around age 3 or 4".
Is that so? I did the same. I learn something every time we have a newcomer. Welcome! :)

Welcome :) I'm a special education teacher with Aspergers and the diagnosis was very beneficial to me. Best thing ever. It all clicked like a jigsaw puzzle and everything finally made sense. Like you, I had been diagnosed previously with bipolar II, OCD & anxiety. When I got assessed with Aspergers I thought it would be mid to medium. I was told my Aspergers was serve but because I had never been diagnosed until 39 I had just travelled through life attempting to dodge obstacles, not understanding but just attempting to adjust to life. Now that I know and the severity of it, I can use strategies which really work. My son whose 20 got diagnosed same time as me and he too has it. Funny thing his girlfriend is Aspergers as well. 3 Aspergers 1 house... Our home is nice and tranquil :) perfect sanctuary from the world!

Welcome to the spectrum world...find your place here...have a great time...there are many wonderful minds at AC...then there is me :cool:

I think it's cool you were able to see the little girl's tendancies. I remember as a daycare provider (way back when) I saw extreme differences in a toddler the first day. I slerted the mum and she had him diagnosed and started working with him. She was so grateful! She had no idea. Aspies are very sensitive, very observant.

Welcome ♥

[QUOTE="mama_lotus,

I am a preschool teacher

I didn't realize you were the same person.

"Duh!" She hypothetically hits herself on her own forehead in the discovery.

:smiley:

Hi out there,

I am a preschool teacher who just recently bonded with a little girl in my class whom I was certain was an Aspie. I'd never seen Asperger's in a little girl before, and as a teacher only, I cannot diagnosed, but steered her parents towards someone who could. She was diagnosed as "severe" on the Aspie end (which surprised me as I know technically AS is no longer a dx) and her parents were very grateful to me for informing them.

In our discussions about her diagnosis, some of the info her mother gave to me was startlingly familiar to me. In particular, she said "oh yes, it's very common for Aspie girls to teach themselves to read around age 3 or 4". I was thinking "I did that!" and on and on the conversation went.

So, I did what I normally do and read 2 books in 2 days and am fairly certain I have a touch of Asperger's. I am being treated for what my wonderful psychiatrist calls "a touch of bipolar disorder with a side of OCD-like anxiety" so I do not know if I will bring it up with him or not.

To be honest, I don't know if I will get any real benefit from a formal dx.

I am happy to delve in here and see what others think about that.

I am in my mid-30s with a diagnosed ADHD husband and 2 lovely little boys with sensory issues but no autism diagnoses yet.

I have uncovered this Aspie thing just in the past week and while I know deep down it fits (I stim like crazy, constantly, I've kept it secret for years and years!!) it's still weird and I feel like I'm trying it on.
The only diagnosis we will accept is the one we see in ourselves.

That preschooler sounds a lot like me. I began to read when i was about 3 and was reading chapter books by 5 years old. When I was 4, I taught myself how to multiply and do math you really don't learn until AFTER you learn how to add and subtract. Therefore, 1st grade really messed me up and I eventually forgot about multiplication and that math i did all together. Then i asked my mom why multiplication was so familiar. Lol. :)

Hi, welcome! :)

You are not alone. I also have bipolar, anxiety, and severe ADHD. I also remember teaching myself to read between the ages of 2 and 3, and I literally remember the very day at age 4 that the rest of it finally "clicked" for me, and from then on I had the reading thing down pat.

From what I've read, and what I seem to see here, it is very common for people with Aspergers to have mental health issues and/or ADHD.

I just joined a few days ago, and am so thankful to be here. Everyone is so accepting, and finding out there are others like me feels validating.

Welcome to the group!

I know that I was reading long before starting school, but no one ever characterized it as me teaching myself (and I don't actually remember). To put this in context however, my parents consistently took credit for my accomplishments that they had nothing to do with ... or even consistently presented obstacles to. Academics became my refuge from the constant turmoil at home and the awkwardness of trying to socialize. It gave me something to do during my free time (to avoid appearing like the pathetic, rejected outsider) and it was rewarding to receive the praise from my teachers that I didn't get from my parents. When I finished college Magna Cum Laude, Mom actually said "I know you think you finished college for me --" I stopped her with "Seriously, is that what you think?" I didn't live with her, received zero support, she didn't contribute a single dime to my expenses, but I managed to graduate successfully in spite of my parents ... but that's how the world looks to a narcissist.

I do remember their attempts to teach me to tie my shoes and ride a bike ... there was no actual instruction, just the same cliches over & over that eventually turned into yelling, blame, and disappointment. I couldn't articulate my need for helpful instruction ... but even as I grew up and learned to express myself, they still wouldn't listen. "Do it, you'll feel a sense of accomplishment" isn't helpful when I ask how something is done. People seriously need a course in understanding and working with children before they should be allowed to reproduce.

People seriously need a course in understanding and working with children
Gah I say this all the time. We need a license to drive, shouldn't we need a license to parent? That baby has 9 months to gestate, that's a mighty long time to work on Parenting 101 and 102 at the minimum.

New Threads

Top Bottom