• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Headphones

The more I read about noise-cancelling technology, the more I see that Bose appears to be well ahead of any competition. The problem being only one thing- the price. Ugh.

Whoa...stepped into a Best Buy this afternoon and finally got to sample the Bose QuietComfort 15 Acoustic Noise-Cancelling headphones. The place was like a zoo, quite noisy. Put on the headphones and I closed my eyes....I was in another world. Ummmmmmmmmmm.

Not cheap though...but hey, they work. $259.99 Maybe some day...just not now.

the audio technica ANC7B are a cheaper alternative to the Bose QC15, though you can't really beat the bose for isolation, they do really well, and nothing really works to beat the QC 15.

if you want something comfortable, the ATH-M50 are okay, the Logitech UE6000, any of the Beyerdynamic DT series, and some of the sennheiser series are good choices.

if you want something closed and isolating, the NVX Audio XPT100 / Brainwavz HM5 are cheap, good monitors. similar price to the ATH-M50, but bulkier and generally pretty good. above $100, there's a lot of more expensive models like the sennheiser and sony MDR/MA models, which would IMO, require some personal experience or testing as they all start to cost $300+ with irregular and hard to discern differences.

if you want something to wear outside, try the UE6000, or an IEM/earphones, a good choice generally are the shure SE215 or Westone 2/3 are very good too.

having bought both the westone 3 and se215 on ebay, (for $80 second hand -- and rinsed all the silicone earpieces in sugar soap to be sure.) they are worn the same way, but the style is very different.

they are a little uncomfortable to get the right fit at first, they are both lightweight and isolate background well, and the cable noise is minimal and tolerable. i have not used the westone 3 or the shure se215 long enough to have an opinion on the quality, they sound good. not too much bass, very unique profiles. i just don't have a lot of music to listen to at the moment without spotify or something else to provide variety.

and on the other end of quality, I also have a pair of brainwavz m5 earphones i got on their christmas special for mobile phone use, the sound is okay, the isolation is casual, i.e. you'll hear street noise, cars, and the like, but not while music is playing. the price was $50 for 2 pairs, and it's a good replacement for the shure pair while walking around, very minimal. very loud at times. kind of interesting since the bass is so harsh, it's unusual to listen to music that has a bass track sound like you're listening to it in a parking lot ampitheater. i can't think of a better way to describe it, there's both too much and not enough, and there's a translation/location effect. anyway. they're cheap.

(i nearly thought about getting the creative aurvana live 2 / UE 6000 / brainwavz HM9 for christmas, but i don't have anywhere to put them, and i still have a lot of non-foldable headphones i don't use that often.)

if you want something specific for price or quality of sound, reddit.com/r/headphones and the head-fi.org forums, are highly speculative and helpful for opinions, e.g. you'll get opinions and a lot of speculation from people who own the headphones/earphones.

on reddit, definitely more suspect speculation than information. but it's generally a good place to check for consensus with other forums about quality. also prices.

the audio technica ANC7B are a cheaper alternative to the Bose QC15, though you can't really beat the bose for isolation, they do really well, and nothing really works to beat the QC 15.

if you want something comfortable, the ATH-M50 are okay, the Logitech UE6000, any of the Beyerdynamic DT series, and some of the sennheiser series are good choices.

if you want something closed and isolating, the NVX Audio XPT100 / Brainwavz HM5 are cheap, good monitors. similar price to the ATH-M50, but bulkier and generally pretty good. above $100, there's a lot of more expensive models like the sennheiser and sony MDR/MA models, which would IMO, require some personal experience or testing as they all start to cost $300+ with irregular and hard to discern differences.

if you want something to wear outside, try the UE6000, or an IEM/earphones, a good choice generally are the shure SE215 or Westone 2/3 are very good too.

having bought both the westone 3 and se215 on ebay, (for $80 second hand -- and rinsed all the silicone earpieces in sugar soap to be sure.) they are worn the same way, but the style is very different.

they are a little uncomfortable to get the right fit at first, they are both lightweight and isolate background well, and the cable noise is minimal and tolerable. i have not used the westone 3 or the shure se215 long enough to have an opinion on the quality, they sound good. not too much bass, very unique profiles. i just don't have a lot of music to listen to at the moment without spotify or something else to provide variety.

and on the other end of quality, I also have a pair of brainwavz m5 earphones i got on their christmas special for mobile phone use, the sound is okay, the isolation is casual, i.e. you'll hear street noise, cars, and the like, but not while music is playing. the price was $50 for 2 pairs, and it's a good replacement for the shure pair while walking around, very minimal. very loud at times. kind of interesting since the bass is so harsh, it's unusual to listen to music that has a bass track sound like you're listening to it in a parking lot ampitheater. i can't think of a better way to describe it, there's both too much and not enough, and there's a translation/location effect. anyway. they're cheap.

(i nearly thought about getting the creative aurvana live 2 / UE 6000 / brainwavz HM9 for christmas, but i don't have anywhere to put them, and i still have a lot of non-foldable headphones i don't use that often.)

if you want something specific for price or quality of sound, reddit.com/r/headphones and the head-fi.org forums, are highly speculative and helpful for opinions, e.g. you'll get opinions and a lot of speculation from people who own the headphones/earphones.

on reddit, definitely more suspect speculation than information. but it's generally a good place to check for consensus with other forums about quality. also prices.

Good to know. Keep 'em coming! One thing I do like about the Internet is that it has made me a better consumer. Listening to people who have actually used and owned the product..who provide us with the good, the bad and the sometimes ugly. Much appreciated everyone. :)

Ooh, I had completely forgotten to mention head-fi! My experience with that site has been mixed...to say the least. But it's worthwhile to browse around and see what folks are saying.

I've started doing a lot of window-shopping on eBay, and sometimes you can find good deals even on new things.

Ooh, I had completely forgotten to mention head-fi! My experience with that site has been mixed...to say the least. But it's worthwhile to browse around and see what folks are saying.

I'm on it now...another bookmark coming. Danke! :)

I bought these from Walmart about a week ago and I really like them. I'd used earbuds for a few years, but I started suspecting them of contributing to my wax buildup problem so I got some over-ear ones when my earbuds died. I'm going to take really good care of these so they last a long time.

I bought these from Walmart about a week ago and I really like them. I'd used earbuds for a few years, but I started suspecting them of contributing to my wax buildup problem so I got some over-ear ones when my earbuds died. I'm going to take really good care of these so they last a long time.

Durability can be a huge issue. Earbuds especially are prone to shorting out and NEED to be kept in a hard case, not those crappy little soft "cases" that many come with. That's why I bought the Audio-Technicas rather than getting in-ears...they're built like a friggin tank! My Grados never leave my bedroom.

For my music production & person use I use Dre Beats Wireless.. Cost me a good 300 bucks but worth every dime. I just fear sometimes using them out in public just because of the crime in my neighborhood.

For my music production & person use I use Dre Beats Wireless.. Cost me a good 300 bucks but worth every dime. I just fear sometimes using them out in public just because of the crime in my neighborhood.

In such an environment I can't think of any easier target in a game of "knockout". Probably best to leave them at home....use cheap ones when not at home.

I can't believe that I'm saying this, but I got through headphones like a fish goes through water, so if anybody has any good suggestions, I'm all ears.

I can't believe that I'm saying this, but I got through headphones like a fish goes through water, so if anybody has any good suggestions, I'm all ears.

Some headphones are made very poorly, especially the cheap ones. You could look into getting a Koss PortaPro—they have a lifetime warranty and you can find them for US$30-35. Also, try headphone.com. They sell headphones but they also review a bunch of them...sift through their articles and see what comes up that is in your price range. It depends how much you're willing to spend.

I did have a good pair of Sony Studio Monitor headphones that lasted around 15 years. Eventually the ear pads began to decompose. Of course now noise-cancellation is my first priority in my search. So far the Bose QC15 appears to have no equals.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but if you are planning to spend a fair amount of money (US$100+) on quality full-sized headphones, you're likely to need some sort of amplifier for them to sound their best. Even though I can get plenty of volume from my mp3 player, my Audio-Technicas sound MUCH better with my little Fiio Fujiyama. I got it off Amazon for $28, and if you're already spending that much on headphones it is worthwhile to put down a small premium on something that can adequately power them.

I use Audio-Technica ATH-M50's. They are pretty good, IMO.

I like them. If I were to recommend a good "general purpose" headphone to anyone looking to spend ~$100, they would be my first choice. I have my quibbles with them, as I do with just about any headphone I've ever tried in my poor man's price range, but overall, they do a good job with most kinds of music, and, of course, they have the advantage of being sealed (i.e. library-friendly).

I'm very happy with that aspect of them.

Yeah I was blown away by their ability to suppress outside noise of any kind. Tried on a number of other headphones, but none of them compared to the Bose in this regard. Amazing, but pricey product!

The more my downstairs neighbor makes noise...the more I think about that expense. :idea:

Does anyone have any suggestions for lightweight, small, over the ear headphones that are also good for blocking noise? I'd really like to listen to music when I have to go out, but I physically cannot keep earbuds in. I have something weird about my left ear and have never found any that work for me.

Does anyone have any suggestions for lightweight, small, over the ear headphones that are also good for blocking noise? I'd really like to listen to music when I have to go out, but I physically cannot keep earbuds in. I have something weird about my left ear and have never found any that work for me.
I really like my Sony MDX 300 they are only $30 sound awesome and comfortable.

"Lightweight, small, over the ear"...that block out noise...that's a tough one, to be honest. I've owned a pair of these (have since given them to my brother) and they worked pretty well...VERY light indeed, and there's a little oomph to the bass, which helps with noise reduction.
Amazon.com: Sennheiser HD203 Closed-Back DJ Headphones: Musical Instruments

These are what I use currently when I need to keep outside noise out...much more expensive, quite a bit heavier, but very comfortable after a break-in period (they can be a tight fit at first).
Amazon.com: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones with Coiled Cable: Musical Instruments

New Threads

Top Bottom