• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Having Bipolar Disorder is extremely annoying

Oz67

Having Bipolar Disorder is extremely annoying. I am too happy and become depressed.

Why can't I just be happy? I always ask just this question.

It sounds like a very exhausting cycle, @Oz67. I hope that you can work with a mental health professional to try to manage this as best you can. I know it can be a very difficult thing to deal with. I hope one day you can find more balance. Even if the highs are not so high, the lows will not be so low and there can be more consistency for you.

It sounds like a very exhausting cycle, @Oz67. I hope that you can work with a mental health professional to try to manage this as best you can. I know it can be a very difficult thing to deal with. I hope one day you can find more balance. Even if the highs are not so high, the lows will not be so low and there can be more consistency for you.
Thanks!

I take Olanzapine and Guanfacine.

Have you been diagnosed with ADHD, as well? And what medications have you taken previous that you felt didn't work? Also, which Bipolar type do you have, and do you tend towards depression or mania?

Have you been diagnosed with ADHD, as well? And what medications have you taken previous that you felt didn't work? Also, which Bipolar type do you have, and do you tend towards depression or mania?
I have ASD, ADHD and Bipolar 1 Disorder. The first time I had severe mania is at age 15.

I sometimes took Rexulti for severe negative thoughts.

I did take other medications, but I don't remember what they are and I don't know if it helped or not.

Yes, l lived with a bipolar person. Suffered thru bouts of depression and anger. It was very difficult. He can be a bit controlling also.

I have ASD, ADHD and Bipolar 1 Disorder. The first time I had severe mania is at age 15.

I sometimes took Rexulti for severe negative thoughts.

I did take other medications, but I don't remember what they are and I don't know if it helped or not.

Well, I'm certainly no doctor, but you ask, "Why can't I just be happy?" while being given medication that, as far as I understand, decreases serotonin and dopamine. I once saw a psychiatrist who also prescribed a lot of anti-psychotics and other extraordinarily powerful medication, and they were all terrible experiences.

Have you ever taken Lithium? It's one of the most successful mood stabilizers. It increases serotonin, and, based on studies I've read, it lowers dopamine if your dopamine levels are too high but with chronic use increases dopamine. It also reduces norepinephrine, the opposite of Guanfacine, as norepinephrine is indicated, in some research to be associated with mania. Lithium also reduces glutamate, an excitatory chemical, and increases GABA. All in all, it has anti-depressive effects, anti-anxiety effects, and may help insomnia. It's also shown in some studies to successfully treat ADHD.

Vyvanse is another highly successful medication. It's similar to Adderall but lasts longer and has a lower side-effect profile. Studies show that approximately 85% of people with ADHD show a substantial reduction in symptoms upon chronic use. A generic was released just a couple months ago, meaning the majority of health insurances finally cover it.

A third medication that may be considered is Gabapentin. It increases serotonin and GABA and reduces excitatory chemicals, similar in nature to Lithium but with a higher focus on an increase in GABA. It's primarily used for seizures but is frequently used off-label for anxiety disorders. Additionally, some evidence shows its efficacy as a mood stabilizer and for insomnia and restless legs syndrome.

All of these medications, though also powerful and though also capable of having side-effects (like any medication), are far less intense than the medications you've mentioned thus far.

Of course, every individual's brain chemistry is entirely different, but if you've been trying these medications for a significant period of time and wondering why you can't be happy, it may be worth considering taking an entirely new approach to your pharmacotherapy.

Lastly, if you're not already, taking a multi-vitamin/mineral supplement daily may be beneficial, as the majority of medications are known for depleting the body of certain nutrients and minerals, which ones being depleted depending on the medication in question.

I hope you feel better soon.

Well, I'm certainly no doctor, but you ask, "Why can't I just be happy?" while being given medication that, as far as I understand, decreases serotonin and dopamine. I once saw a psychiatrist who also prescribed a lot of anti-psychotics and other extraordinarily powerful medication, and they were all terrible experiences.

Have you ever taken Lithium? It's one of the most successful mood stabilizers. It increases serotonin, and, based on studies I've read, it lowers dopamine if your dopamine levels are too high but with chronic use increases dopamine. It also reduces norepinephrine, the opposite of Guanfacine, as norepinephrine is indicated, in some research to be associated with mania. Lithium also reduces glutamate, an excitatory chemical, and increases GABA. All in all, it has anti-depressive effects, anti-anxiety effects, and may help insomnia. It's also shown in some studies to successfully treat ADHD.

Vyvanse is another highly successful medication. It's similar to Adderall but lasts longer and has a lower side-effect profile. Studies show that approximately 85% of people with ADHD show a substantial reduction in symptoms upon chronic use. A generic was released just a couple months ago, meaning the majority of health insurances finally cover it.

A third medication that may be considered is Gabapentin. It increases serotonin and GABA and reduces excitatory chemicals, similar in nature to Lithium but with a higher focus on an increase in GABA. It's primarily used for seizures but is frequently used off-label for anxiety disorders. Additionally, some evidence shows its efficacy as a mood stabilizer and for insomnia and restless legs syndrome.

All of these medications, though also powerful and though also capable of having side-effects (like any medication), are far less intense than the medications you've mentioned thus far.

Of course, every individual's brain chemistry is entirely different, but if you've been trying these medications for a significant period of time and wondering why you can't be happy, it may be worth considering taking an entirely new approach to your pharmacotherapy.

Lastly, if you're not already, taking a multi-vitamin/mineral supplement daily may be beneficial, as the majority of medications are known for depleting the body of certain nutrients and minerals, which ones being depleted depending on the medication in question.

I hope you feel better soon.

The current medications that I am taking helps, I do have manic and depressive symptoms sometimes.

If you're content, that's great! But if you're unhappy and settling, I think you're setting a low bar.

If you feel like the medication is helping that's good. But there may be more that can be done to help. I can understand if you are reluctant to change up your meds as if your experience is anything like mine, just a small change can be unpredictable.

As someone with Bipolar, I often wish I could just be locked in the happy phase forever too. It seems so unfair at times. I don't know why but for a long while I've been locked in the depressive phase with only fleeting periods of higher moods. It's weird because it never used to be like this. I'm really starting to suspect I might have fibromyalgia, I get so badly worn out by things that used to be trivial for me.

If you feel like the medication is helping that's good. But there may be more that can be done to help. I can understand if you are reluctant to change up your meds as if your experience is anything like mine, just a small change can be unpredictable.

As someone with Bipolar, I often wish I could just be locked in the happy phase forever too. It seems so unfair at times. I don't know why but for a long while I've been locked in the depressive phase with only fleeting periods of higher moods. It's weird because it never used to be like this. I'm really starting to suspect I might have fibromyalgia, I get so badly worn out by things that used to be trivial for me.

That makes sense.

New Threads

Top Bottom