• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Have to wear clean clothes in bed - normal or cause for concern?

This isn't something I've always done, but the last few years I've gotten really weird about having to wear clean clothes to bed. And by that, I just mean clothes that I wear in bed and only in bed. The logic goes, since I would sit on the couch or a kitchen chair in my dirty "outside" clothes, sitting in the same spots would make my "inside" clothes just as dirty. So even if I'm just staying home for the whole day, I have to change before I go to bed.

This wouldnt be so bad if I wasn't the type of person who takes naps. Changing when the clothes are most likely in the same state of cleanliness is a hassle and makes even me feel ridiculous. Still, I can't shake the feeling that if I wore the same clothes to sit on the couch and then to sleep in my bed, my bed would be contaminated.

Sounds "normal" to me. I used to be a bit like that myself. I will absolutely not wear pajamas anywhere else but to bed. Never understood how people can lounge around in sleepwear and robes.

Last edited:
I work on a university campus and half the kids wear pajamas as daily wear, which has always struck me as unusual. As for a robe, I tend to wear a robe when I'm at home, but I picked up that habit from Hawkeye on M*A*S*H.

LOL. In my college dorm experience, I thought most everything going on could be construed as "unusual". :p

From November to April I wear a robe and sweats while at home. Just trying to keep warm. All utility, no fashion. :)

I cannot sleep with dirty socks. Clean socks are required. Other stuff doesn't matter so much.

Technically speaking, a behavior is only cause for concern when the behavior causes significant disruption to your daily life or causes significant emotional discomfort or distress, so that might be a question to ask yourself.

From a less clinical point-of-view, I don't think a compulsive need to wear clean clothes to bed is in and of itself a cause for concern. It's sanitary. I have a similar compulsion with hand washing; I learned to wash my hands as if I were working in a laboratory and I feel the need to rewash them if I touch an unsanitary surface. The upside? I never get sick. If you want my opinion, it's better to be overly-sanitary than underly-so.

I must be weird here; I lounge around in my pajamas in the evening before going to bed and in the morning before I change into 'daytime' clothes. :grin:
But I try to wear my work clothes as little as possible, because they smell like the store I work in unless they're freshly washed.

This isn't something I've always done, but the last few years I've gotten really weird about having to wear clean clothes to bed. And by that, I just mean clothes that I wear in bed and only in bed. The logic goes, since I would sit on the couch or a kitchen chair in my dirty "outside" clothes, sitting in the same spots would make my "inside" clothes just as dirty. So even if I'm just staying home for the whole day, I have to change before I go to bed.

This wouldnt be so bad if I wasn't the type of person who takes naps. Changing when the clothes are most likely in the same state of cleanliness is a hassle and makes even me feel ridiculous. Still, I can't shake the feeling that if I wore the same clothes to sit on the couch and then to sleep in my bed, my bed would be contaminated.

I've been doing the same type of thing for the last couple of years so I hope it isn't cause for concern. Anytime that I sit anywhere outside of the house, I will not wear those clothes to sit down on my favorite chair or lay down in bed.

I have a really hard time going to bed dirty or stinky, so I definitely change out of my day clothes and shower. In the summer I try to sleep naked, in fact. Don't like wearing dirty clothes. I used to have an easy time with it, though. I used to go out in the woods a lot and camp, and of course there's no showers out there. I guess I've just gotten used to more sedentary living.

New Threads

Top Bottom